The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

APRIL 2018 THEME > April 2018 Theme: SHORT AND SWEET

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (last edited Apr 06, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello bookish friends!

Last month I used a poll to decide the reading theme, and our second place choice was only 1 point away from being the winner, so I thought 'why not use it as April's theme?'... which is exactly what I've done!

THE THEME FOR APRIL IS: SHORT AND SWEET

Read a book that's under 200 pages!

This theme is pretty self explanatory and should be super easy for everyone! You may even be able to get in a couple of short books over the month.

~

I'll be reading:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

I've been meaning to read this book for ages! At only 75 pages, this is a super easy pick for me this month, especially as I've been in a bit of a reading slump!

~

Let us know what book you'll be choosing to read this month.

Once you've finished your April read, don't forget to post your review in this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Misty's Book Space (MistysBookSpace) | 31 comments I think I’m going to read The Bulletproof Proposal l: A Novelette by Rebekah Louise. It’s has 64 pages. I might also try to fit in a couple more but this will be my main read for this book club.

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Apr 10, 2018 10:50AM) (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments Nice! I have a few Shakespeare plays on my TBR, and they're definitely under 200 pages. I'll see about getting some of those read.

I also intend to read A Brief History of Time A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, which (without the index and glossary) is just under 200 pages.

EDIT: I'm going to have to read the glossary of A Brief History of Time, so I won't be able to count this for this challenge, as that will put it over 200 pages.

Aqsa (On Hiatus) (Her_747) I'll read Night
and
Haunted

message 6: by Jamie-Lee (new)

Jamie-Lee (jlkfraser) | 17 comments I am going to read The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling. It is 109 pages :) I have been meaning to read it for a while now and I have the lovely hardcover edition.

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I am going to read Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy. It is 128 pages. I'm reading this for my in real life book club. I have been meaning to read this for a while now. Since I've heard such great things about it.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomWhatCathyReadNext) | 40 comments Oh my, you don't know how glad I am to see this theme chosen because I've just been looking ahead at my April reading schedule and it is MADNESS!

I'm going to read The Visitor at Anningley Hall. It's only 46 pages long (hooray!) but as it's a prequel to The Mezzotint, a ghost story by M.R. James that is one of my favourites, you can bet I'm going to want to read that again as well.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex | 18 comments It's very handy, being able to check page numbers here! I went through my TBRs on my Kobo and came up with 11 books that met the criteria. However since Amalia is reading East Yorkshire Folk Tales, my official selection will have to be one from the same series:

Midwinter Folk Tales by Taffy Thomas Midwinter Folk Tales by Taffy Thomas

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Hi all! I'm going with My Sweet Friend by H.A. Leuschel
at 92 pages it will work and it is on my TBR.

message 11: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Maher | 10 comments I’m going to try to read Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I say try because I’m also reading Dante’s Divine Comedy, so I may not complete both...we will see.

message 12: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Gavea | 17 comments Alex wrote: "It's very handy, being able to check page numbers here! I went through my TBRs on my Kobo and came up with 11 books that met the criteria. However since Amalia is reading East Yorkshire Folk Tales,..."

I want to read this one so much!! Beautiful choice, Alex!

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Mar 31, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Nicole Loop | 7 comments Im going to read Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allen Crow, its 138 pages. good timing I just bought it and then saw this months book theme.

message 14: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (ShainlockHolmes) | 22 comments Nicole I love Bunnicula! I didn’t don’t know that was one of them. What a cute title!

message 15: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (ShainlockHolmes) | 22 comments I’m going to read The Witches of the Blue Well by Paula Brackston.

message 16: by The Captain (new)

The Captain | 8 comments I actually have five books scheduled to read that could fit this theme. I didn't do it on purpose! Just a cool coincidence. The five:

- binti: the night masquerade

- call it courage

- all systems red (made it to the Hugo final ballot on the same day I got me copy!)

- i met a traveler in an antique land (eArc)

- phoresis (eArc)

Arrrrrr!

message 17: by Lawona (new)

Lawona (hlawona) I have decided to read Mind Readers for my book, since it is under 200 pages.

message 18: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments I'm reading The Day of the Owl by Leonardo Sciascia, a mystery in Sicily. Since it's only 124 pages long, there is room for another short one.

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Definitely participating this month! I'm going to read Herding Cats by Sarah Andersen!

message 20: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (Vinjii) This might be the moment to pick up The Crying of Lot 49

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments I ended up reading Neil Gaiman and Yoshitaka Amano's The Sandman: The Dream Hunters also! I put my review in the review thread. I thought it was a graphic novel (which I typically don't review) but it turns out to be more of an illustrated novel. (AKA the story is written in prose with the illustrations on separate pages.)

message 22: by Aqsa (On Hiatus) (new)

Aqsa (On Hiatus) (Her_747) I read Happily. It's a great read . I'll add my review on GR soon. Am I suppose to leave my review's link here?

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Rosenlicht | 2 comments I'll be reading the late Ursula LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven. It is 176 pages long, very excited to read more of her work! Also it is $3.99 on kindle amazon.

message 24: by Marina (new)

Marina (Marina999) | 18 comments Oooh forgot to state my intentions on here! Twittering from the Circus of the Dead by Joe Hill.

message 25: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (JohnofCanada) | 3 comments I just finished Gunner Milligan 954024.56 pages!

message 26: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments I'm starting my second shortie: Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioni.

message 27: by Nora (new)

Nora  (raccoonstudiez) | 8 comments I am going to read
Die Scanner by Robert M. Sonntag
It's 192 pages long but I have wanted to read it for such a long time.

message 28: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 9 comments Tin Man by Sarah Winman

I just finished Tin Man by Sarah Winman - it was shortlisted for the Costa Novel Award 2017 -it's just under 200 pages - very touching story about love and friendship and brilliantly written.

message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara Million | 17 comments I'm going to be reading The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter. I'm really looking forward to reading these short stories that are classic dark fantasy retellings of fairy tales! I've had my eye on it for awhile and hopefully I can get it done before the end of the month.

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin I forgot to update after I read. My Short & Sweet pick was A Wrinkle In Time. My copy which I've had since I was in second grade only has 195 pages. The book was weirder and more confusing than remembered as a child. I don't think I'll read it again but if I ever have children I will be passing my copy down to them.