YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

First Year (The Black Mage, #1)
This topic is about First Year
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > First Year (The Black Mage #1) by Rachel E. Carter - Restarting February 17th 2020

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22785 comments Mod
Before the age of seventeen, the young men and women of Jerar are given a choice —pursue a trade or enroll in a trial year in one of the realm’s three war schools to study as a soldier, knight, or mage…

For fifteen-year-old Ryiah, the choice has always been easy. Become a mage and train in Combat, the most prestigious faction of magic.

Yet when she arrives, Ry finds herself competing against friend and foe for one of the exalted apprenticeships. Everyone is rooting for her to fail—first and foremost among them is Prince Darren, the school prodigy who has done nothing but make life miserable since she arrived.

Will Ry survive, or will her dream go down in flames?

Alaina (ameserole) First Year (The Black Mage, #1) by Rachel E. Carter
Chapter 3: (view spoiler)
Chapter 6: (view spoiler)
Chapter 9: (view spoiler)
Chapter 12: (view spoiler)
Finished: (view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22785 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting February 17th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 4: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 47376 comments Mod
I'll jump in! This has been on my Kindle for yonks

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 9 comments I've meant to read this for a long time so I'll try to join. :)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Awesome :) We are also reading the prequel novella before this one, if you wanted to jump on that too?

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 9 comments Oh, I didn't know there was a prequel novella. I doubt I'll have time to read it before this buddy read but maybe I'll read it later. :)

message 8: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 47376 comments Mod
I prefer to read the first novels before the prequels so I'm already in the world and it doesn't feel jarring

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments I think the first time I read the series I read the prequel after I'd read the first two books and I would say you could read it either way. It didn't impact the books for me at all, but did provide a back-story for two of the characters.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments I know I'm four days early, but I just finished reading the prequel novella and I can't not jump straight into this book! They are just so fun and fast-paced. I'm going to start it now but will obviously be checking back in to hear all your thoughts whenever you get around to reading it :)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments First quarter - (view spoiler)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 9 comments I may be able to start this weekend too. :)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Katriann wrote: "I may be able to start this weekend too. :)"

Yay! I'm 15% through but have stopped for now :)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Second quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Third quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Fourth quarter - (view spoiler)

Mummy's Naughty Corner (mummysnaughtycorner) | 7004 comments Mod
Starting today.

20%

(view spoiler)

35%

(view spoiler)

51%

(view spoiler)

Dannii wrote: "First quarter - !
..."

(view spoiler)

Dannii wrote: "Second quarter -."

(view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Mummy's Naughty Corner wrote: "51%

[spoilers removed]"

They are BRUTAL!

68%

(view spoiler)

Finished

(view spoiler)

When you do want to do book 2?

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments I'm good with starting whenever :) I can do whichever date is best for you

How about Wednesday?

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Mummy's Naughty Corner wrote: "How about Wednesday?"

Perfect for me :)

Okay. I'll set it up when I get back, just taking son to swimming practice.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Thank you :)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 9 comments 35% percent.

So far I really like this. I'm working 10 hours a day at the moment but I'm slowly making progress.
I agree with you both that (view spoiler)

I'm interested in seeing (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Katriann wrote: "35% percent.

So far I really like this. I'm working 10 hours a day at the moment but I'm slowly making progress.
I agree with you both that [spoilers removed]

I'm interested in seeing [spoilers..."

Ooh, that's tough. I hope work lets up for you soon!

I wondered why they thought the academy was going to be any different too. They just wanted to jump straight into the fun stuff without learning any basics.

Sorry forgot to do it last night. Here's the link for book 2.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Thank you so much!

message 35: by Katriann (last edited Feb 20, 2020 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 9 comments I finally finished this and I really liked it. I liked (view spoiler)

I must say (view spoiler)

I feel like (view spoiler)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments I'm up to Chapter 4.

(view spoiler)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments Dannii wrote: "First quarter - This opens with Ryiah and her twin brother Alex travelling to the magic academy when they are set upon my bandits... and later a brooding prince. Definitely an impactful beginning!
..."

They certainly did have an interesting trip to the academy.

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments I'm up to Chapter 8.

(view spoiler)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments Dannii wrote: "Second quarter - The academy training is tough! I adore learning of class schedules and how each are structured, in fantasy novels, so I flew through this portion of it. I loathed the apparent clas..."

I just wish that her classmates were more likable.

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments I'm up to Chapter 12.

(view spoiler)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments Dannii wrote: "Third quarter - They DRUGGED the first years as so many of them were too strong to quit or fail on their own. Ryiah woke on her own and the mages are realising her magic is stronger than any, even ..."

I wasn't surprised that they kissed either.

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments I'm finished.

(view spoiler)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 5796 comments Dannii wrote: "Fourth quarter - I wanted to scream at Ryiah when it was obvious the prince was luring her away from the hazing. He repeatedly told her to go back but she ignored him. He also refused to fight her,..."

It bugged me that she wouldn't trust him.

message 44: by Dannii (last edited Feb 25, 2020 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments ☆☆Hannah☆☆ wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 8.

[spoilers removed]"

He definitely can't make up his mind to be the brooding bad boy permanently or not.

message 45: by Dannii (last edited Feb 25, 2020 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments ☆☆Hannah☆☆ wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 12.

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments ☆☆Hannah☆☆ wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Fourth quarter - I wanted to scream at Ryiah when it was obvious the prince was luring her away from the hazing. He repeatedly told her to go back but she ignored him. He also refuse..."

That was one of my peeves with this book!