Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Please help me take a risk

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments A few weeks ago our very own and very lovely Carole P Roman suggested I start up a gofundme to help me with my writing. Being a typically reserved Brit I was hesitant about this, after all it seems a little odd to me to ask people to donate money so I can publish my books, but I am feeling a little bolder today and so have bitten the bullet.

Below is the link to the campaign I have set up. Don't worry, I'm not asking anywhere here to donate, you have all done wonders in supporting me in a variety of ways already (though of course I would be very grateful to anyone who did donate) but I would appreciate it if anyone who felt so inclined should share the campaign.

https://www.gofundme.com/cfc4dj-help-...

Thank you everyone
Alex

P.S. I can't help feeling very nervous about this, the amount I have put as my campaign goal is what I will spend this year on covers, marketing and incidentals, but it seems like a lot to ask for to me and I can't help worrying that people will think I am incredibly cheeky - I am not raising money for a charity or charitable situation and the only reward I can offer is the satisfaction of helping to provide some entertainment.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1139 comments Just followed your link. You put your case very well, Alex, and I hope you achieve your dream of being able to make a living and "being there" for your mother.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Thank you, Anna, glad you think I expressed myself well, I always struggle with this kind of thing and I'm never sure I've put things well enough.

message 4: by Alexis (last edited Mar 25, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Alexis | 861 comments Hi Alex,

I bet this was hard as fuck to put out there and I hope you’re not having TOO much anxiety about it.

Carole has a good idea regarding gofundme, but personally I’d recommend Patreon to writers. Example: https://www.patreon.com/MindyMcGinnis

That way people can commit to sometimes even $1 a month as a patreon and in return get access to behind the scene things, special blog posts, excerpts of upcoming books, etc etc.

I am patreon to others and I do like the feeling of getting something exclusive in return for my support. :)

Indiegogo is a good option as well.

If you’re going to stick with gofundme, lemme know.

GOOD LUCK KID.

He hee I always wanted to call someone kid.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Alexis wrote: "Hi Alex,

I bet this was hard as fuck to put out there and I hope you’re not having TOO much anxiety about it.

Carole has a good idea regarding gofundme, but personally I’d recommend Patreon to wr..."

Thanks for the info, Alexis, and calling me kid (I can't remember the last time I felt young, I do believe I am only 4 months away from officially being middle-aged) I like the basic idea of Patreon but I'm not sure about the setting rewards for various levels, that's where I struggle with things because I have no idea what to offer as rewards.
I may give it some more thought and perhaps try it some time in the future if I feel I can offer good enough rewards (special blog posts are likely a bit of a struggle, lol) but for now I'll stick with gofundme as the simpler option.

Anxiety levels are tolerable right now but I'm sure buyer's remorse will kick in soon enough when I don't see donations and then I'll be wondering what made me put myself out there.

message 6: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes | 461 comments Best of luck with your quest, Alex. I hope it is well received and responded to! Are you posting this where your past readers might see it, so they can help you get those next books out there?

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carmel wrote: "Best of luck with your quest, Alex. I hope it is well received and responded to! Are you posting this where your past readers might see it, so they can help you get those next books out there?"

Thank you, Carmel. So far I have put in on my FB page and my Twitter, I shall have to work up to a blog post about it and maybe something for Medium.
Creating it is one thing, being overly public about it is another. I think I may need to see the Wizard and ask for some more courage.

message 8: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best of luck with it Alex!! And don't sweat it too much.... the times, they are a changing :D

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Eldon wrote: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best of luck with it Alex!! And don't sweat it too much.... the times, they are a changing :D"

Thanks, as you say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If I don't get a result from it *shrugs*
Truth be told, I would rather earn the money by selling my books but I'd scare the world by stripping, or at least threatening to, if I thought that would make me money, lol.

message 10: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Alex wrote: "Eldon wrote: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best of luck with it Alex!! And don't sweat it too much.... the times, they are a changing :D"

Thanks, as you say, nothing ventured, nothing gained...."

It's a tough business for sure. But I have to believe persistence pays off!!

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Definitely, persistence can pay off, and it certainly should. I definitely believe that luck plays a big part in anyone's success, but persistence and perseverance increases the chances of a person getting lucky.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread