What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Man plays autoharp, volunteers at a kid's home, meets a boy called Dom(?)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K (last edited Mar 25, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

K | 2 comments Genre: Possibly fiction, for young adults/teenagers

Year I read it: 2012-2013

Plot: The book is about a man who plays the autoharp (or a similar instrument, I remember it was electronic and was some kind of zither or harp). He goes to volunteer at a children's home. I think the kids are disabled, I remember some have seizure disorders? Or something like that??

The story begins with the author, in a cafe or something, with his autoharp. One part in the book, a child collapses while telling a story on stage because he/she had a fit or something? Another part, the author brings his girlfriend. During a 'class activity', one of the kids, a boy (way younger than the GF, he is like 12, and I think called Dom or Dominic) asks her "Are you my girlfriend?" and the author's GF says "Yes, of course I am" just to make the boy happy. After that the author tells her not to do that because the boy will believe it as the boy is mentally disabled or some sorts.

I think the author also played music for the children with his autoharp somewhere towards the end. The story is about volunteering and helping others get through their challenges. I don't remember the story being too dramatic or having deaths or anything.

The cover of the book might have some 3 dice or dominoes on it, placed in the middle, with a lightish brown vignette.The title's typeface could have had serifs. The title sounded like 'Dom' or 'Dominic' in my mind, but I'm confused now, it might have been the author's name. Please, help, this haunted me for six years with no luck. Thank you very much for reading!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Little Boy Lost by Shane Dunphy?
Review (with spoilers possibly) here: https://matterstosam.wordpress.com/20... mentions co-worker Suki agreeing to being called girlfriend and not realizing boundaries.

message 3: by K (new)

K | 2 comments Ayshe wrote: "Little Boy Lost by Shane Dunphy?
Review (with spoilers possibly) here: https://matterstosam.wordpress.com/20... men..."

Oh my God. I'm not sure if it is the book -- but it does mention an autoharp -- I am definitely going to check this out, got a real good feeling about this. Thank you so much Ayshe!!

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments :) You're welcome. Let us know when you find if it is or isn't the book.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
K, was your book "Little Boy Lost" or are you still looking?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Boy Lost (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Shane Dunphy (other topics)