Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Themes > IR Romance BW/WM The Hero is a Country Music Star

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Hello all. I am a huge fan of Country music so I had the idea of how great it would be to read an IR Romance(BW/WM) where the hero is a Country music star and perhaps the heroine is an Executive producer with a record label or something and some how their paths cross. What are your thoughts readers and authors alike.

message 2: by Paganalexandria (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:16PM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 4037 comments That sounds different enough, to really snag my attention. What country star would you model him after? Keith Urban would be awesome.

message 3: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Oh I love Jason Aldean, Dierka Bentley, Brantly Gilbert, Luke Bryan, Cole Swindle, or Brett Eldredge

Paganalexandria  | 4037 comments Dierks is awfully pretty too. lol

message 5: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Yes he is!!! That hair when he doesn't cut it. But I'm a sucker for country boys lol and fell in love and married a city boy.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1211 comments Now that would really stand out! Seriously, I love Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw and Keith Urban. I also love Cowboy Troy and Darius Rucker, having grown up on Charley Pride.

I know this is about heroes, but what about making the black heroine a country-western musician. There's all kinds of interesting conflict with that set-up.

Paganalexandria  | 4037 comments TheFountainPenDiva wrote: "Now that would really stand out! Seriously, I love Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw and Keith Urban. I also love Cowboy Troy and Darius Rucker, having grown up on Charley Pride.

I know this is about heroe..."

I would totally read that. What if he was a judge on a talent show, and she was one of the contestants he mentored. Them having a relationship could be against the rules. This would cause conflict without it being about race so much.

Paganalexandria  | 4037 comments Let me clarify, race can be in the story, but not the reason for the couple's drama so much.

message 9: by A.W. (new)

A.W. TPD I love Cowboy Troy! I got to see him in Nashville last year he was a part of a benefit concert for wounded Soldiers. This year my husband is taking me to see Jason Aldean for my birthay along with Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line in Phoenix we going to make and entire weekend out of it and I'm sooooo excited! You added a great spend here. Now I'm thinking maybe the heroine comes in the picture by trying to negotiate a contract with the record label for the black female country western singer you mentioned and during the course of doing that she crosses paths with the hero and there can be a second book to tell the courty- western heroine's story.

message 10: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Jul 25, 2014 01:48PM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1211 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "Let me clarify, race can be in the story, but not the reason for the couple's drama so much."

It would make sense considering CW's lack of diversity, but it doesn't have to be the only obstacle. Imagine people having a freak out at seeing some dark-skinned, dredlocked black woman in a Stetson and Ariat boots who starts belting out Patsy Cline in a Gretchen Wilson rasp. The hero is like "holy grits Bubba, I gotta get to know this gal!" The heroine knows she's got something to prove and is stubborn to the core. She can't be weak.

Hell yeah, I'd read this.

message 11: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Indeed! Actually it was my husband who came in during my view of the top 20 countdown the other morning and he mentioned his issues with the lack of diversity in the videos I noticed it but it so awesome that he can recognize those types of things without me bringing it up. I think you mentioned Cowboy Troy in an earlier comment after the show we got to speak to him and he mentioned that as long as he's been a Country music artist he still gets crazy looks as if he doesn't belong.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1211 comments I've never really understood that since Country is really the Blues with a twang, lol. Robert Johnson is just as Country as Hank Williams.

Paganalexandria  | 4037 comments TheFountainPenDiva wrote: "I've never really understood that since Country is really the Blues with a twang, lol. Robert Johnson is just as Country as Hank Williams."

My father who was a blues musician, loved country. He covered a lot of it in his shows. They are both genres that have the best stories in the lyrics of a song. A good one is almost like reading a small book.

message 14: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Yes I have been listening to Blues and Country music all my life my parents and grand parents were lovers of both. I can remember my grandfather telling me about Deford Bailey she was the first black female country artist in the 1920's she was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2005 also there's Linda Martell she was the first black country artist to perform at the Grand Ole Opry in 1969. My mother loves Charlie Pride. I got to meet Darius Rucker in Nashville he is the sweetest. Trace Adkins home town is like 20 minutes from the Louisiana town my mom grew up in.

Paganalexandria  | 4037 comments A-W wrote: "Yes I have been listening to Blues and Country music all my life my parents and grand parents were lovers of both. I can remember my grandfather telling me about Deford Bailey she was the first bla..."

Darius, is weird to me because words can't express how much I hated Hootie and the Blowfish. Blew my mind how much more I like him as a country singer.

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1380 comments TheFountainPenDiva wrote: "I've never really understood that since Country is really the Blues with a twang, lol. Robert Johnson is just as Country as Hank Williams."

Absolutely true. It is crazy how many current American Music styles trace their roots back to African American spirituals. Country music derived from a meld of Gospel, blues and Appalachian folk songs.

I would love to read this mystical book y'all are brainstorming. LOL.

message 17: by A.W. (new)

A.W. That's so true. I can remember listening to a lot of Loretta Lynn when I was a little girl and to hear her make real life hardships into songs was so impressive to me and then you go back to the history of the Blues and you see how country artists learned the twist on how to do it.

message 18: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
I love this thread. Thanks A-W for starting this!

message 19: by A.W. (new)

A.W. You are most welcome Michelle!