Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > May 2018 General Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Mar 24, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

Gem  | 1262 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers,

Nominations for our May Book Discussions are now open. To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guidelines:

AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

1) You may nominate one (1) book.

2) Your nomination should be in the crime, mystery, or thriller genres.

3) New releases that are only available in hardcover should not be nominated. Your nomination should be available in paperback as well as in digital format. If your nomination was originally published in a non-English language, there should be an English translation available. That will ensure the book will be most easily accessible to all members.

4) You may nominate any book that is in a series, it does not have to be the first book.

5) To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

6) By entering a nomination you are agreeing to act as our Book Discussion Host/Hostess for that book if it wins. Don't worry it is neither difficult nor time consuming. The moderators are here to help in the event that you need a hand.

7) If a book is nominated by two different people, the member who first nominated the book will be recognized as the Book Discussion Host/Hostess.

8) Post your nomination as a comment in this discussion. Do not notify the moderators of your selection by way of a private message, if you do you run the risk of your book not being including in the poll.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or send me a private message directly.

The nomination period will close on April 1 at approximately 7:oo pm, Arizona time.

Polling will begin on April 4.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Suzy (last edited Mar 28, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I will nominate IQ by Joe Ide . Recommended by several friends!

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments The Lazarus Succession by Ken Fry The Lazarus Succession by Ken Fry

According to legend, Annas Zevi, an artist who witnessed the raising of Lazarus, was told by Christ to paint what he saw. Over the centuries, his completed works has vanished, along with every other painting depicting Lazarus' resurrection. They were rumoured to be sacred icons with miraculous powers.

International Art Recovery Experts, Broderick Ladro and Ulla Stuart, are hired by a disgraced High Court judge, Sir Maxwell Throgmorton, to locate a long lost medieval painting by Spanish artist Francisco Cortez. Like Zevi, his work is said to be divinely inspired.

Throgmorton's client, a wealthy Spanish Condesa, is terminally ill and the icon is her last hope. She will pay and do whatever it takes to find the missing work of Cortez.

Unbeknown to the Condesa, Throgmorton seeks to make a vast personal fortune from the discovery of the paintings, and use it to reclaim his place in society.

Ladro and Stuart learns of Throgmorton's deceit and attempts to thwart his plans. As they delve deeper into the mystery of the missing Cortez painting, they discover a secret that changes their lives forever.

Just as it changed the lives of everyone it touched across the centuries.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom | 920 comments I'll go old school/golden age and nominate A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh

message 5: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 23 comments Tom wrote: "I'll go old school/golden age and nominate A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh"

This is on my list to read, good choice.

message 6: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 19 comments Jenny wrote: "The 17th Suspect (Women’s Murder Club #17) by James Patterson
The 17th Suspect by James Patterson"

I didn’t realize this was out yet!

message 7: by Christine (new)

message 8: by Keyna (new)

Keyna I nominate Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

message 9: by Ali (new)

Ali I nominate The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 17 comments I nominate If The Dead Rise Not by the late, great Philip Kerr

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments I nominate The Third Victim by Lisa Gardner.

message 12: by Diane (last edited Mar 31, 2018 11:20AM) (new)

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 127 comments I nominate Beneath the Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan

message 13: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

message 14: by Kgwhitehurst (new)

Kgwhitehurst | 45 comments Suzy wrote: "I will nominate IQ by Joe Ide . Recommended by several friends!"

I'll second this. Joe Ide gave his log line at a new author breakfast--"Sherlock Holmes in the 'hood".

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Oxier (debbieoxier) | 4944 comments Christine wrote: "Bone Deep by Debra Webb"

Love all her books. Her Faces of Evil series was fantastic!

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments I nominate The Chalkman by CJ Tudor

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (beancake) | 44 comments I nominate fifty fifty by James Patterson and Candice Fox

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I nominate Razor Girl Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen by Carl Hiaasen

message 20: by Gram (new)

Gram | 3 comments Margaret wrote: "I nominate If The Dead Rise Not by the late, great Philip Kerr"

Seconded!

message 21: by Gia (new)

Gia (giko) | 1 comments I nominate Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris... amazing book

message 22: by Sévérin (new)

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments I'd like to read Dark Matter by Greg Iles
An explosive thriller from the worldwide bestselling author Greg Iles, reissued with a distinctive, edgy new livery.

In the heart of North Carolina's Research Triangle stands a corporate laboratory much like the others nearby. But behind its walls, America's top scientists work around the clock to attain the holy grail of the 21st century-a supercomputer that surpasses the power of the human mind.

Appointed by the President as ethicist to Project Trinity, Dr. David Tennant finds himself in a pressure-cooker of cutting edge science and colossal ambition. When his friend and fellow scientist is murdered, David discovers that the genius who runs Project Trinity was responsible and that his own life is in danger. Unable to reach the President, and afraid to trust his colleagues, David turns to Rachel Weiss, the psychiatrist probing the nightmares that have plagued him during his work at Trinity. Rachel is skeptical of David's fears, but when an assassin strikes, the two doctors must flee for their lives.

Pursued across the globe by ruthless National Security Agency operatives, David and Rachel struggle to piece together the truth behind the Project Trinity, and the enormous power it could unleash upon the world. As constant danger deepens their intimacy, Rachel realizes the key to Trinity lies buried in David's disturbed mind.

But Trinity's clock is ticking...

Mankind is being held hostage by a machine that cannot be destroyed.
Its only hope--a terrifying chess game between David and the Trinity computer, with the cities of the world as pawns. But what are the rules? How human is the machine? Can one man and woman change the course of history? Man's future hangs in the balance, and the price of failure is extinction.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Gia wrote: "I nominate Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris... amazing book"

I absolutely agree!!! One of the best thrillers I've read in years!!

message 24: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Apr 02, 2018 09:37PM) (new)

Gem  | 1262 comments Mod
Thank you to everyone who offered nominations for our May Group Read.

The following books have been disallowed due to lack of availability in either digital or paperback:

The Lazarus Succession
Fifty Fifty

Dark Matter was read by the group in May 2017.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.