Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

March Violets (Bernie Gunther, #1)
This topic is about March Violets
Archive - Group Reads > March Violets by Philip Kerr - April 2018 (In Memoriam)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Apr 25, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers. With the sad new of his pass, in honor of and in memorial to Philip Kerr, we are adding March Violets by Philip Kerr to our April Book Discussions. Your hostess is Jenny.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contacts spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.
March Violets (Bernie Gunther, #1) by Philip Kerr March Violets (Bernie Gunther, #1) by Philip Kerr March Violets (Bernie Gunther, #1) by Philip Kerr March Violets (Bernie Gunther, #1) by Philip Kerr March Violets (Bernie Gunther, #1) by Philip Kerr

Summary

Bernhard Gunther, a hard-boiled Berlin detective who specializes in tracking down missing persons—mostly Jews. He is summoned by a wealthy industrialist to find the murderer of his daughter and son-in-law, killed during the robbery of a priceless diamond necklace.

Gunther quickly is catapulted into a major political scandal involving Hitler's two main henchmen, Goering and Himmler. The search for clues takes Gunther to morgues overflowing with Nazi victims; raucous nightclubs; the Olympic games where Jesse Owens tramples the theory of Aryan racial superiority; the boudoir of a famous actress; and finally to the Dachau concentration camp. Fights with Gestapo agents, shoot-outs with adulterers, run-ins with a variety of criminals, and dead bodies in unexpected places keep readers guessing to the very end.

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Mar 28, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hi, am looking forward to reading this book. I am also looking forward to joining in with the discussion of March Violet with you all. I have provided the following links to help you find a copy of this book:

AMAZON

https://www.amazon.com/March-Violets-...

BARNES AND NOBLEN

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/marc...

BOOK DEPOSITORY

https://www.bookdepository.com/March-...

IBOOK

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/marc...

KOBO

https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/marc...

AUDIBLE
https://www.audible.com.au/pd/Crime-T...

Happy Reading Jenny

message 3: by Suzy (last edited Mar 28, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Hi Jenny - just adding to the sources for finding the book. I know there are a number of readers who listen in the group!

AUDIBLE
https://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Mar 28, 2018 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) Suzy wrote: "Hi Jenny - just adding to the sources for finding the book. I know there are a number of readers who listen in the group!

AUDIBLE
https://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-......"

Thanks Suzy.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I have received my copy of this book today. I am looking forward to discussing the book with everyone.

Michael Katz | 2 comments Read this a couple of years ago and became a great fan of Philip Kerr. May he rest in peace!

message 7: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I've got my copy downloaded and hope to start on this one after I make some progress on the other two books I started this morning.

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 655 comments Mod
Wish i could read this with you but i have too much on the go at the moment 🙄
.........but i’ll still interested in seeing what everyone thinks. Enjoy!

Jenny (diggensjenny) Michael wrote: "Read this a couple of years ago and became a great fan of Philip Kerr. May he rest in peace!"

I agree, Michael.

message 10: by Jenny (last edited Mar 28, 2018 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "Wish i could read this with you but i have too much on the go at the moment 🙄
.........but i’ll still interested in seeing what everyone thinks. Enjoy!"

No worries, Icewineanne. I know what you mean. :)

message 11: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Same with me, I've got too many books to read and other things I'm doing to join in on this one. But I am interested in what people think and reading it in the future. The audiobook is done by one of my favorite narrators.

Jenny (diggensjenny) No worries, Suzy!

Jenny (diggensjenny) March Violets is the first book I have read of Philip Kerr and it hooked me from the first page. I love the characters and the way they intertwine with each other. What are your thoughts on the main character Bernie Gunther?

message 14: by Jenny (last edited Apr 08, 2018 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) I recommend this book if you enjoy historical crime fiction that is different. During WW1 Bernie Gunther was a soldier. After the war, Bernie Gunther joined Berlin police force did not like it and decided to become a Private Investigator. While reading March Violets, I recognise some of the characters from reading books about Germany between the wars. Philip Kerr does a great job of combining facts with fiction throughout March Violets. I gave it 4 ★, and I will read more books in this series.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read this originally in 2006 and have always meant to re-read it before continuing with the series.

Jenny (diggensjenny) You should Kirsten it is a great book. I am sorry that I had not read any of Philip Kerr's books before. I like the way, Philip Kerr portrays his characters.

Cherry (bookwormdiva) I started reading March Violets a week ago (our library network had a copy), but have been struggling to read more than a chapter at a time. It is interesting, but I find it hard to relate to the setting and characters. Nonetheless, I will persevere!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I'm starting this one now, a little late because I just joined the group. I've read the first two chapters and I already like it a lot. Great setting, and Kerr's writing style is very appealing to me.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Cherry wrote: "I started reading March Violets a week ago (our library network had a copy), but have been struggling to read more than a chapter at a time. It is interesting, but I find it hard to relate to the s..."

I enjoy the book because I like historical crime thrillers. I believe that reading books is for pleasure, and there are so many beautiful books around. Cherry if you are not enjoying March Violets you do not have to finish it.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Randy wrote: "I'm starting this one now, a little late because I just joined the group. I've read the first two chapters and I already like it a lot. Great setting, and Kerr's writing style is very appealing to me."

Welcome Randy to the group. I hope you continue to enjoy March Violets.

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Jenny wrote: "Cherry wrote: "I started reading March Violets a week ago (our library network had a copy), but have been struggling to read more than a chapter at a time. It is interesting, but I find it hard to ..."

Thanks, Jenny.

message 22: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
You know one of the hardest things I do is to decide to put a book down and not finish it. It hurt me, lol.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Jenny wrote: "Welcome Randy to the group. I hope you continue to enjoy March Violets."

Thanks Jenny!

Jenny (diggensjenny) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "You know one of the hardest things I do is to decide to put a book down and not finish it. It hurt me, lol."

Sometime Gem you have to be strong and give up on a book that is not enjoyable.

message 25: by Wend (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wend (wends) | 23 comments For me it was ok. Maybe I try another in the series to see if I like it better.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I will be finishing this one in a couple days. I have really enjoyed it and plan to continue with the rest of the series soon. The plot and characters are good enough to recommend the series by themselves, but the best part of the book for me was the setting of pre-WWII Berlin as the Nazi Party is rising to power. Kerr has a brilliant grasp of the political feel of the city as the world turned its eyes to the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It reminded me of the setting of Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley which gave me a completely different view of post-WWII Los Angeles.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Randy wrote: "I will be finishing this one in a couple days. I have really enjoyed it and plan to continue with the rest of the series soon. The plot and characters are good enough to recommend the series by the..."

I am please that you enjoy it Randy!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Finished it and gave it 5 stars. Wow!

Jenny (diggensjenny) I agree with you, Randy. March Violets is a fantastic book to read.