Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present - Mike Ashley - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I get there are many people who won't like this book. They don't care about history, or Kings and Queens or even the British.

This book covers rulers before Kings existed to present on all the nations that make up the United Kingdom. Ashley describes his original book as a tome, so he came back and created a "brief history". Each King, Queen, or consort is given a brief history covering their ascension to the throne, personality, family, achievements, failures, and more but its not boring. Not to me anyway.

I thought he seamlessly moves from one lineage and connects it to one of the other nations lineage. Example, he ends with Queen Elizabeth of England, then switches and covers the Scottish Kings and Queen, then intertwines King James VI of Scotland succeeding Elizabeth and becoming King James I of England.

I loved it. The 1500s-1600s, King Henry the VIII all the way to King Charles II is the most exciting time for me, but also the most tumultuous.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6252 comments This is one of my husband's favorite topics. He knows everything about British royalty. Maybe this book would get me up to speed????

message 3: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 445 comments This sounds interesting. I lived in England for 7 years, so I love British stuff. I have to be in the mood for history stuff, but I do like the stories about the modern royals.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Anita, definantly. I r listened to audio and am sure there is much I forgot. Having print might be better to retain. The parts I remember most vividly I already knew atleast some about. But I did learn alot.

Kim, the modern royal family seemed anti climatic. He focuses mainly on the argument of eliminating the monarchy as well as the public scrutiny. Also, how King George VI was the first time the royalty was seemed as a family unit. Many times in the past there was much infighting in the families.

message 5: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 25, 2018 07:37PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) This does look illuminating. Adding the link, for reference.
A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present by Mike Ashley

Does it cover context? Like who the Roundheads were, and the Jacobites, or whatever? I get confused when I read children's historical fiction such as Adam of the Road and The Door in the Wall....

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Cheryl. it does. it covers advisors and jackabites and jews being banished and catholics being outlawed from holding positions of authority in the government and it being appealed. Everything, but it does not go into great detail. Enough for a basic knowledge.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Super , ty!