It Just Gets Stranger Book Club discussion

Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Fahrenheit 451
Fahrenheit 451 > Strength of America

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
I have been raised to believe that minorities make our country stronger. That our unity as a nation is more beautiful because of the diversity from which it springs. As time has passed, and the USA seems to grow more and more divided, I've wondered sometimes if diversity is as beautiful as I thought it was—can it be divisive yet healthy? Can the US still compromise?

This novel seems to blame minorities and the majority's reaction to the minorities as the cause of the censorship and the new dumbed down society.

"Colored people don’t like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don’t feel good about Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Burn it. Someone’s written a book on tobacco and cancer of the lungs? The cigarette people are weeping? Burn the book. Serenity, Montag. Peace, Montag."

"If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don’t give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it be all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag."

"What traitors books can be! you think they’re backing you up, and they turn on you. Others can use them, too, and there you are, lost in the middle of the moor, in a great welter of nouns and verbs and adjectives."

Ray Bradbury, in one of the snippets included in the edition of the novel that I read, wrote about how angry censorship makes him, and how if something he writes angers a group of people, that group should not demand that he change his work but they should go ahead and write their own work. I like that idea.

I guess I'm not really asking you a question with this one. It's more of a hypothetical question that the book brought up for me, and I'm still chewing on.

I like diversity. Especially because I don't want to change how I am different from the majority, and I don't think others should have to change who they are to fit me, so where does that leave us? Different. Separate citizens. One country. Trying to make it work.

message 2: by A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
I think the key is something you said in your opening paragraph. I think the distinction is when diversity becomes divisive, or when it serves to enrich and enhance cultures and lives.

“We don’t have to see eye to eye to walk shoulder to shoulder.”

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
I like that, Ames. Where is that quote from?