It Just Gets Stranger Book Club discussion

Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Fahrenheit 451
Fahrenheit 451 > Age of public education

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
"The home environment can undo a lot you try to do at school. That’s why we’ve lowered the kindergarten age year after year until now we’re almost snatching them from the cradle."

I found that quote very interesting. I've lived in a country where free public education started at three years old. I imagine that when Ray Bradbury wrote this novel, the average age for starting school was six years old. Now, in the US, for most students, free public schooling starts at five years old, but many, many children are enrolled in private preschools or government-funded preschools, and there are those agitating for law changes to lower the age of when public education begins. But there are also those who feel the same way as is mentioned in this book: that lowering the age has more to do with undermining parental influence than it does actually improving education. What are your thoughts on this?

message 2: by A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
I speak for myself only: I like having my babies home with me, and am grateful that I have opportunity to do so.