In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) In the Woods question

Who killed Peter and Jamie?
Marilena Marilena Mar 24, 2018 02:42PM
This novel could be read at various levels. There is the most obvious plot, told by the protagonist. For him, the mystery of the disappearance of his friends, in the 80s, will remain unsolved. But there are other underground plots, much less evident, for which the author has sown numerous clues.
Basically there are two themes, and the first is designed to divert attention from the second:
1) The mysterious monster in the woods, to which various scenes refer. Even in the final chapter the discovery of an ancient object, a sort of arrowhead, engraved with a man with deer horns, rekindles this motif.
2) Statistically, and often mentioned in the book, when a child is killed, the killer is part of his family. (And indeed, Kathy was killed at the behest of her sister, Rosalind.)
Do you remember Jamie's mother, Alicia Rowan? She had a motive: she needed to get rid of her daughter, to make sense of her life, or find a better job. That's why she wanted the girl to go to college, but Jamie refused, and the three children's rebellion erupted. At this point, the mother seems to change her mind. "I shall stay here, I do not have to leave," says Jamie. "Really? Forever?" Yes for ever. She will never go away, she will never grow up, she will always remain a child. If you think about it, there must be a reason why the author shows us the two detectives, Rob and Cassie, talking with Alicia Rowan, but not with Peter's parents. In this scene Alicia says that she feels guilty, and she looks guilty. In support of this thesis, in the next to last chapter, the protagonist /narrator recalls clearly the day when Alicia told her daughter that she would not leave for the college. The author draws our attention to this incident, so it must be important. Alicia lies to Jamie because she wants children to decrease their level of hostility and be less suspicious of her. This will allow her to kill the daughter; Peter will be a collateral victim, perhaps he witnessed Jamie's murder and had to be silenced. In the last scene, when the forest is razed to make room for the highway, Rob says that he realizes that the forest was not an enemy but their beloved refuge. It means that the danger was elsewhere, out of the woods, probably in one of their homes.

That is a very good analysis. I never thought of the possibility of it being Alicia. Really gets you thinking

Margaret (last edited Mar 26, 2018 08:29AM ) Mar 26, 2018 08:29AM   0 votes
This makes me want to reread the book. This certainly had never occurred to me before but it makes sense.

This makes me rethink everything that I thought while reading the book and makes me want to read it again. This was a great analysis; I love it.