2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Villain
This topic is about Villain
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Villain

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Shūichi Yoshida‘s book, Villain.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Newly, Suki

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 76
Week 2: 76
Week 3: 76
Week 4: 76

Newly Wardell | 46 comments YES!!! I'm wasnt aware of the buddyread but I will get back into this book. Thanks so much SUKI for going into this fascinating tale. I will give an update tomorrow on the first 150 pages. You guys are the best!

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments I'm waiting for a friend to return my copy, so I will be starting around the middle of the month. I'm REALLY looking forward to reading this!

Newly Wardell | 46 comments Suki wrote: "I'm waiting for a friend to return my copy, so I will be starting around the middle of the month. I'm REALLY looking forward to reading this!"
Hey Suki, Let me know when you get your copy because I'm on page 154. It's seriously that kind of book! Its hard to put down.

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Newly wrote: "Suki wrote: "I'm waiting for a friend to return my copy, so I will be starting around the middle of the month. I'm REALLY looking forward to reading this!"
Hey Suki, Let me know when you get your c..."

I will, thanks! I'm so glad you suggested this title for a buddy read!

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Newly-- I got my copy of the book back from my friend last night. I'm going to start it today. Are you still reading it, or did you finish? Do you like it?

Newly Wardell | 46 comments I havent' completed Villian book. I love the style of writing. It's pretty bleak and lonely but it produces some powerful imagery. If you have your copy, I'll pick up mine and recommence. Yeah.

message 9: by Suki (last edited Apr 14, 2018 01:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments I just finished Chapter 2 (page 114). I'm really enjoying the book so far, the author really knows how to move a story along, and he really seems to want to make me believe that

(view spoiler)

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the book-- I'll very probably finish it this weekend-- I really want to know what happens!!

Newly Wardell | 46 comments I dont see how that robbery thing is going to works itself into the rest of the narrative. I'm the other way I'm completely convinced that the mechanic didnt do it. He might be punished for it but I really dont think he did it. I am not overjoyed how he has this compulsion to treat women so horribly even if he was abandoned by his mother. His grandmother stepped up and provided a stability that he knowingly takes for granted. But have no idea who murder this girl and I kinda hate the way the writer pits every woman against each other. The male characters arent like that! But I do like the way that each character offers insight to the other characters. This is my first taste of Japanese noir and I am riveted. I still don't have a clue of who is guilty.

message 11: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Newly wrote: "I dont see how that robbery thing is going to works itself into the rest of the narrative. I'm the other way I'm completely convinced that the mechanic didnt do it. He might be punished for it but ..."

I'm on page 172-- just finished Chapter 3.

(view spoiler)

Most of the girls in the story are pretty hard on each other. It seems pretty realistic, though-- I've often seen it in real life where a group of girls are very close friends, and if one of the girls steps away for a minute the others completely trash her.

I wonder how the grandmother's robbery angle is going to work out.

I've read several Japanese noir/mystery books now, and I really like them because they don't always follow the same pattern as Western writers.

message 12: by Suki (last edited Apr 16, 2018 10:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments I'm on page 231-- just finished Chapter 4.

I'm really loving this book!

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Newly-- If you are interested in reading more really dark Japanese crime stories, you may enjoy Out by Natsuo Kirino. I liked it a lot.

Newly Wardell | 46 comments thanks for that suggestion I will be checking it out. I haven't finished it yet but I'm close. ill have some time tomorrow to finish it out

message 15: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Please don't read this unless you've finished the book!

(view spoiler)

I really liked this book a lot. Shuichi Yoshida has another book in English translation (Parade) that I really want to read.

Newly Wardell | 46 comments Fusae's triumph over those shameless ruffians made me high five a stranger on the the bus! Armed with only her will, an orange scarf and some kindness from a bus driver she just tells them no! How utterly badass is that! I wasn't so much against Keigo as I was completely appalled at his friends. He kinda explains his disturbing behavior as" boys will be boys" and his friends totally went along with it. Passing around her messages and and ridiculing her father, all for a laugh. How is that funny? But the worst person in the world was Yuichi's mom. She was a human garbage can. I know that parenting is hard and I agree that her raising Yuichi would have been awful for him. But she only appeared to be truly interested in gaining from her son's decline. Yuichi what a character! even till the end I still had hope for him Mitsuyo. They seemed so desperate for affection. I had hoped that it would have turned out better for them but honestly how could it have. Their love would have been too much of a burden to bear for either of them. But the part that had me ugly crying in public, was when Yoshio says goodbye to the ghost of his daughter. I didnt see that coming and I usually dont go for a paranormal goodbyes but after he was trying to protect his lil girl even after her murder. I had to stop reading because I couldn't see through the tears. I dont know if it really happened or if he was having a breakdown but his ability to forgive her just floored me.

Yoshida is a wonderful writer. Truly I picked up this book because it had bones in the shape of gun. It creeped out me so I bought it. I love the crazy misdirection because not one gun was drawn the entire book. I will check for Parade. Thanks so much for reading this with me. I've had this book forever and just hadnt read it yet.

message 17: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Newly wrote: "Fusae's triumph over those shameless ruffians made me high five a stranger on the the bus! Armed with only her will, an orange scarf and some kindness from a bus driver she just tells them no! How ..."

I really enjoyed reading with you Newly, and you chose an excellent book! If you ever want to do another buddy read with a Japanese crime book, please let me know!

Newly Wardell | 46 comments you got it and same if you find a good one

message 19: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Newly wrote: "you got it and same if you find a good one"

I am reading two books that sound amazing with one of my mystery groups in May. They both sound really good, and I'd be happy to do a buddy read with you on the side, if you like.

The first book is The Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada which is a weird twist on a locked-room mystery, and the second book is Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama which is about a kidnapping.

Newly Wardell | 46 comments I'm always up for a buddy read. Seriously. next pick should be yours.

Newly Wardell | 46 comments hey give me a couple weeks to find that book you suggested called Out. looks very interesting thanks for the advice

message 22: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Newly wrote: "Fusae's triumph over those shameless ruffians made me high five a stranger on the the bus! Armed with only her will, an orange scarf and some kindness from a bus driver she just tells them no! How ..."

Hi, Newly! It looks like you and Suki both enjoyed this book and your buddy read! I did notice that several of your posts provide detailed parts of the story. In the future, please be sure to mark these as spoilers so that you don't give away the story for others who might not be as far along as you. Normally I would delete these kinds of posts but since you and Suki are the only participants and you have finished the book, I am going to leave them.

You can mark a spoiler by placing "spoiler" in front of the text and "/spoiler" after the text but use <> characters instead of " ". Let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

Newly Wardell | 46 comments hey thanks for telling me. I'll keep that in mind for my future read. could you please make a note of that somewhere? I'm prolly the last to know but it might help others

Newly Wardell | 46 comments please feel free to use this as an example of what not to do. lol

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.