Play Book Tag discussion

Warcross (Warcross, #1)
This topic is about Warcross
Archive: Other Books > Warcross by Marie Lu - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5069 comments From the premise it's easy to think this is just a Ready Player One ripoff, but it's different enough to stand on its own. Emika Chen is a struggling young adult trying to make ends meet, but with a criminal record she can't get a decent job, and so has to resort to bounty hunting. Her targets are those who illegally bet on the world's addiction - the virtual reality game of Warcross. She's an expert hacker and uses her skills to go into the equivalent of the Dark Web, and it's these skills that lead her to one day hack into the opening game of the Warcross championship. Normally the audience is invisible to the players, but in an attempt to steal a game artifact, she accidentally reveals herself to the world that is watching. This brings her to the attention of the game's designer, Hideo Tanaka, who hires her to work for him to go after a mysterious hacker he calls Zero, who is trying to sabotage the game.

Overall this was a very entertaining story. It has a few flaws that don't bring it to the caliber of Ready Player One, but Marie Lu could give Ernest Cline a run for his money. She has the skill to take the reader into the game and feel the excitement of it, and she has a talent for world-building. The issues I have with this book are minor - a few contrived scenes in order to keep the book PG-13 for its YA audience, and a few WTF moments where the characters IMO make some eyebrow-raising decisions that are obviously needed for a plot point down the line. But it has a nice twist at the end, a couple really, but the identity of Zero was an easy one to intuit way ahead. Of course this is book 1 of a series so while it doesn't end in a cliffhanger, the story is definitely not over yet. I'm looking forward to book 2!

Cora (corareading) | 1406 comments I have this one on my kindle. Would you say it is an option for strong women?

annapi | 5069 comments Yes, I would say so!