This topic is about A Plague of Giants
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Plague of Giants [Apr 2, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Come join.

message 2: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments I'll probably join.

Hailee | 2606 comments Well I'm obviously in. I just went online and bought it so I'll hopefully have in my hands in a couple of days.

Hailee | 2606 comments Just collected my copy from Waterstones

message 5: by Lesa (new) - added it

Lesa Divine | 30 comments Hope I can join. Had this book for awhile. This'll be my first buddy read in this group. I'm have to see how it's done. Lol.

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Starting today as I'm caught up on everything.

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Pretty interesting opening.

Through chapter 4

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Through chapter/day 10

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:22AM) (new) - added it

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments I'm only on chapter 1 and feel that way a bit... doesn't help that the female voice narrator is a bit quiter and hard to hear at work than the male... I started this towards the end of my shift and ended up pausing until the drive home because I couldn't hear...

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Iain wrote: "I'm only on chapter 1 and feel that way a bit... doesn't help that the female voice narrator is a bit quiter and hard to hear at work than the male... I started this towards the end of my shift and..."

She is frustrating.

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments I still haven't made much progress... I'll give this another go after Obsidio... I started that at work last night, since I needed something I could hear... 50% in and can't stop now :)

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments I continued to near the end of chapter/day 2... I dunno... I'm not really feeling this one... decided to re-read Well of Ascension instead... since I want to finish my Era 1 re-read before Alloy of Law in June...

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Iain wrote: "I continued to near the end of chapter/day 2... I dunno... I'm not really feeling this one... decided to re-read Well of Ascension instead... since I want to finish my Era 1 re-read before Alloy of..."

I'm done and it never got better for me.

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments I think it's something to do with how it's written as if the MC is talking to someone in-world... isn't it supposed to be the shapeshifting bard?... Comes across kinda bland...

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Iain wrote: "I think it's something to do with how it's written as if the MC is talking to someone in-world... isn't it supposed to be the shapeshifting bard?... Comes across kinda bland..."

Yes I touched on that in my review and agree with you. It's almost like you're hearing the events from a bystander with no stake in the outcome. Very disappointing.

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments Went ahead and binned it in the DNF, not-for-me shelves with a mini-explanation... hopefully Samir, Hailee, and Lesa have better luck...

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 1 star

Iain wrote: "Went ahead and binned it in the DNF, not-for-me shelves with a mini-explanation... hopefully Samir, Hailee, and Lesa have better luck..."

I can't blame you.

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments I actually haven't made much use of the folder since I created it a couple years ago as a repository for my 1-star books and books that would be 1-star if I finished them... this group has been making me more critical and firm in my decisions...

message 19: by Lesa (last edited Apr 03, 2018 04:48AM) (new) - added it

Lesa Divine | 30 comments Iain wrote: "Went ahead and binned it in the DNF, not-for-me shelves with a mini-explanation... hopefully Samir, Hailee, and Lesa have better luck..."

I've started listening to the book. I'm still at the early stage. Not sure about the woman narrator but I'm give it a few more chapters/days in to understand what the world the stories about lol.

message 20: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Well, crap! I was planning to start today but after reading your comments I don't think I will.

Hailee | 2606 comments Ah no I just started this today. Intended to start on the 2nd but didn't get to since I was visiting family for easter and couldn't find much quiet time.

I've only read day one so far and I quite like it but seeing this thread I'm now a bit nervous. Still there are plenty of books I've liked that other people haven't so I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is another one of those times

Timelord Iain | 17005 comments Yea... everyone is different... it sounds like if you are liking chapter one, prospects are looking good...

message 23: by Hailee (last edited Apr 06, 2018 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2606 comments So far I have only read the first three chapters but I am liking it and the characters.

I am reading it in physical format, and I'm finding myself on information overload after one chapter and I'm constantly rereading sentence to make sure I've understood it so I think this will take me a while to complete.

Hailee | 2606 comments I just returned to this yesterday since I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks clearing out my currently reading shelf.

I've read another 50ish pages since I put it on hold mid-April and I have to say I feel a lot more invested in the characters since I returned to it. Not that I hated them before, but I had stopped reading it for over two months without really missing it. However now that I've started again I'm looking forward to finding out where everything is leading.