What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA or children's book about a neglected old house

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments Trying to remember the name of a book I read in the 1980s - it would likely have been written around the 1970s or early 1980s I think. It was a children's or possibly YA book.

Plot centred on a family that moved some distance to a new community. It is near a river (or similar body of water). There was a reference to the river being nothing like the "muddy Red River" they had left behind. The boy noticed a huge abandoned house/mansion and later the whole family takes a boat trip where they land the boat nearby and explore the house. The place had some history and a "dais"/stage area inside where the boy imagined music would have been played in the past. He found some ripe strawberries outside. The boy thinks a lot about this old house.

(view spoiler)

I'm sure there was a lot more to the plot but I don't remember it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments Bump.

message 4: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments Thanks for replying. No, it's not Gone-Away Lake. There is only one abandoned house in this story, rather than a community or town. I read the plot summary and I'm sure it's not that one.

message 5: by Cestmoi (new)

message 6: by Kris (last edited Jun 17, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Cestmoi, what's the genre or tone - fiction or non-fiction, mystery, adventure, coming-of-age, funny at times, etc.?

What's the time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 7: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments It's fiction - older children's or young adult (likely more towards older children). Set in either USA or Canada. Feels quite small town, countryish. I think this would have been classed mystery or adventure. Time period seemed similar to the era when I read it - likely 1980s.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Cestmoi, is there a recent/old crime associated with the abandoned house/mansion?

message 9: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Maybe, Spook House Spook House by M.C. Helldorfer ? It was originally published in 1989.

message 10: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments Kris wrote: "Cestmoi, is there a recent/old crime associated with the abandoned house/mansion?"

No, I don't remember anything about a crime connected with it. I might have forgotten that part, though.

message 11: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments Tab wrote: "Maybe, Spook HouseSpook House by M.C. Helldorfer? It was originally published in 1989."

Not "Spook House", but thanks for suggesting. I don't think there were any actual ghosts with this house, just imaginings and visualisations of the people who were there in the past.

message 12: by Cestmoi (new)

message 13: by Kris (new)

Why did the family move?

message 14: by Cestmoi (new)

Cestmoi | 9 comments Sorry for the delayed response. I don't remember why the family moved. Since I last posted, I have read "Gone Away Lake" and "Return to Gone Away", purely out of desperation wishing that either one was the book I am looking for, but my unknown book is definitely neither of those. Still wondering and trying to remember...