Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Mar 25, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

Sarah Mahon | 10 comments Hey!
I'm working on building my beta reading experience before I look at offering professional services.

I'm a writer [so I know how important your book is to you], have two degrees in Journalism, and I've worked professionally as an editor and sub-editor.

Genres I LOVE
Urban Fantasy
Fantasy
Supernatural
NA
YA

Genres I like
Romance
Thrillers
Horror

Genres I Dislike
Historical
SciFi

I am willing to read the first 10 - 15k words provisionally and provide feedback to see if my style is what you are looking for.

Thanks,
Sarah

message 2: by D (new)

D Watson | 12 comments Hi Sarah

Have a modern/urban fantasy that could do with a good beta reading, my pitch to see if it interests you.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Thanks

Darren

message 3: by Kane (last edited Mar 24, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Kane (kt8937) | 8 comments Hi, I have a YA/fantasy ranged about 14k words, needing editing,can you help? Thanks so much!

My e-mail is kt8937@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Kane

message 4: by Cassie (last edited Mar 24, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Cassie Bozeman | 6 comments Hi Sarah!
I am about 5 chapters in to my romance novel. I would love to send you the first 10-15k words for you to look over! I look forward to your response :)
email: radiancesmom@mail.com (not gmail)

message 5: by Eugene (new)

Eugene Polonsky | 15 comments Hi Sarah:

Have a Norse Mythology-based contemporary fantasy, complete at 108k words. Have had a few beta readers make their way through it so far, and their comments have been super positive. Would love a few more. Here's the blurb:

Emma is fifteen, and her days of playing the violin and hanging out with friends are just about over. She’s grown up in Northern California, unaware that her mom isn’t human, and her dad is Baldur, the Norse God of Light.

There’s a reason her parents hid the truth from Emma. A dark prophecy hangs over the family: Baldur’s murder at the hands of Loki, the Trickster God, is the first step toward the end of the world. Thus far hiding from the other gods has kept Baldur and his family safe. But now Loki has traced Baldur down and is about to fulfill the prophecy.

Emma’s family shatters as her mom dies in an ambush, and Baldur himself is incapacitated. Emma’s maternal grandmother steals Emma away from Baldur under the guise of protecting her. Thrust into an unfamiliar environment, Emma must discover her own magical abilities, and figure out how to get back to her father to save him from a certain death.

Balt is a troubled teenager who ran away from his abusive family to join the group of gods protecting humanity. At least, that’s how Balt remembers it. The memory is a fake — a plant put in by Loki to get Balt to join him. Balt has been with Loki for two years now, and has come to trust him as a father-figure.

But when Loki tasks Balt with capturing Emma as a way to get to Baldur, his web of lies begins to unravel. Balt finds out about the faked memory and faces a choice between sticking with Loki despite the lies that started their relationship, and betraying him to pursue his growing feelings for Emma.

The Road to Ragnarök is complete at 108k words. The book will appeal to fans of contemporary fantasy in the style of Clive Barker’s Imajica and Neil Gaiman’s American Gods. Like these books, my novel focuses on deeply-flawed characters within a mythological context, and features an innovative magic system centered around using memories as fuel for spells.

Let me know if that sounds interesting. My email is partnerinflight@gmail.com.

Thanks!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mahon | 10 comments Darren wrote: "Hi Sarah

Have a modern/urban fantasy that could do with a good beta reading, my pitch to see if it interests you.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

I've sent you a message :)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mahon | 10 comments RJ wrote: "Hi Sarah, I have a clean romantic suspense 60k. If you’re interested, message me or email edittorrjc@gmail.com
Thanks!
RJ"

Message sent your way!

message 8: by D (new)

D Watson | 12 comments Thank you for getting back to me,

replied to you

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mahon | 10 comments Kane wrote: "Hi, I have a YA/fantasy ranged about 14k words, needing editing,can you help? Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Kane"

I've sent you a message!

message 10: by Kshitij (new)

Kshitij Naithani | 5 comments Hi Sarah,

I am presently working on a urban fantasy with mythology undertones. I have 8 chapters finished so I can send a chapter a time.

Hoping to hear from you

Kshitij

message 11: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Combista (jdcombista) | 5 comments Hi, Sarah!

I got a book that's around 90,000 words. Maybe I could have you read the first 15,000 words. Just shoot me a message, so we could talk about it, or maybe you can send me an email at jaredcombista@gmail.com.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Jared

message 12: by Z.D. (new)

Z.D. (ZDLawson) | 4 comments I got an Adult Dark Fantasy book that's around 110,000 words. Fair warning, it has LGBT themes, in addition to plenty of swearing, violence, blood, death, and some psychological trauma to boot.

Here's a blurb:

Ash, a mercenary with a dark and troubled past, and an ex-soldier with multiple issues and loose screws aplenty, takes on the apprenticeship of Ebon, a young mage with high hopes for the future, naive to the ways of the world. One of Ash’s issues rears its head through a slew of murders that harkens back to her days in the war, straining the new partnership developing between this unlikely duo. All while bringing her ever closer to the brink of insanity.

Set in a world shaped by an unfortunate series of conflicts that happened long, long ago, called the Massacre Wars, Ash and Ebon must figure out who is responsible for the killings, whether they be elf, dwarf, dragon, or demon. Can their new partnership survive intact? Or will it shatter, destroying the dreams and minds of those involved?

Message me if you're interested. Thank you.

message 13: by Courtney! (new)

Courtney! | 7 comments Hi Sarah,

I am in search of a beta reader and thank you in advance for the offer.

I have a 62K dark urban fantasy YA novel that needs new eyes. Here's the link for my goodreads post: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If it's something you're interested in, please let me know - I know I sound super needy in my post, but I just want to make sure all the information is available so people can make an informed decision.

Thank you!

Courtney

message 14: by Tarea (new)

Tarea | 9 comments Hi, Sarah -

"A Game of Survival is a 118k novel in the Fantasy genre. It’s a coming of age story about a girl whose life is shattered and ripped away from her. At a young age, she’s thrown into a world of discrimination, inner demons, and violence in a male-dominated society. Thea finds herself being used over and over by men who want to exploit the powers she has and barely understands.

Thea is unaware that she’s a pawn in a much larger game, that’s being played by gods and demons for the future of the world. An evil is lurking in the shadows, trying to control her and slowly pollute the world with corruption."

PM me if you're interested and willing to work. There is a beta form I have created and once you PM me your email (if you would like to work!) and I'll send you the document to the story (via Google Docs). You can leave comments throughout it, the questionnaire (bottom) are the different things I'm looking for feedback on. You can answer the questions on a chapter by chapter basis, or fill it out at the end.

Beta Form: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D...

message 15: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Hi Sarah,

I don't know how many books you'll be willing to read while building your beta reader experience (I don't mind being added to a wait list) but if you're still in the process of accepting stories, I would be appreciative of your service.

I have a 60,000 word YA story that is in need of a beta reader’s critical eyes. I have included the blurb below so you can get an idea if it’s something that you’re interested in. Thank you for your time.

Synopsis:

Fourteen year old Alina thought that above all, she could trust Gaten. He’s been her rock since tragedy befell her three long years ago. But one day, she finds a letter; a letter is all it takes for Alina’s world to once again dismantle before her eyes. And suddenly, she’s thrown into doubt about the one individual she believed that she could rely on. In a desperate bid for answers, Alina decides to take matters into her own hands. The life altering consequences are ones that she did not anticipate.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 10 comments Hi Sarah,

Are you still open to submissions?
I have a 160k Adult High Fantasy novel I'm seeking beta readers for. If this is something you're interested in, please either PM me or email me at renderegm@gmail.com and I will send you a synopsis.

All the best,
Megan Render

message 17: by Trevor (last edited May 09, 2018 06:07AM) (new)

Trevor Morris | 67 comments Hi there, I have an 88k completed fantasy novel that may well be your cup of tea.

Saviour: the making of a superhero

He’s an artist who creates superheroes…
But does he have the courage to become one?

Tempted?
T