Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

The Weird, Fun, & Miscellaneous > Ursula the Sea Witch Forced to Get Liposuction for Disney Villains Beauty Line

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Yup, Ursula is now slim and sexy for a Disney/Sephora beauty line. What do you guys think?

http://jezebel.com/5922092/ursula-the...

message 2: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Maybe she decided to get on a diet? :)
I also noticed that the other two look younger.

Wouldn't they call this an "alternate universe" in comics?

message 3: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Yoly wrote: "Maybe she decided to get on a diet? :)
I also noticed that the other two look younger.

Wouldn't they call this an "alternate universe" in comics?"

I would call it marketing thin and young as beauty to girls while ignoring that any other kind of beauty could exist. Maybe in this alternate universe no one gets fat or old, and everyone lives immortally as a size 2 21 year old. At least the women do.

message 4: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Well yeah, there's also that.

I agree that sadly there seems to be no room for older/bigger women in marketing (unless you're directly targeting older/bigger women). But I like to think that there is nothing wrong with "Ursula going on a diet and losing some pounds and getting fit". It sounds a bit silly for a cartoon character, but if she were a real person and not a Disney villain, I wouldn't see anything wrong with her wanting to get rid of some extra pounds.

How the other two got younger, now that's a little bit more complicated :P

message 5: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious | 160 comments I think it's weird.

Okay, I get it that when you create a character they can develop. But what's the story with Ursula suddenly being young and thin? Was that before she became Usula, the sea-witch or whatever? There's obviously nothing behind it. I could accept it better if it was, I don't know, Ursula's younger sister or something. Or her in her teenage years or whatever. Or an exaggerated painting by a frightened court painter.

Also, I agree that marketing only thin and young as beautiful isn't only moronic, it can also lead to eating disorders. Wasn't there a study that found that people who frequented places (on the internet) where they weren't shamed for their weight usually got fit and healthy by themselves? (Anyone know that one?)
Of course you take care of yourself better if you feel better about yourself.

message 6: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Yoly wrote: "Well yeah, there's also that.

I agree that sadly there seems to be no room for older/bigger women in marketing (unless you're directly targeting older/bigger women). But I like to think that there..."

I get that, and if they had slimmed her down a little but left some curves on her maybe I'd see it that way too. But they turned her stick thin. If I had seen that picture without a caption, I would have never, ever guessed it was Ursula.

And I think al of them are younger.

message 7: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Alicja wrote: "I get that, and if they had slimmed her down a little but left some curves on her maybe I'd see it that way too."

I saw this last night on one of the comments on the article. This would have probably been more acceptable.

message 8: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments I'd have no problem with that. In that picture she looks realistic and I think would be a wonderful image of beauty for girls to have because most women are not size 2 with big breasts. Maybe someday we'll have a size 12 Disney princess... :)

message 9: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious | 160 comments Yoly wrote: "Alicja wrote: "I get that, and if they had slimmed her down a little but left some curves on her maybe I'd see it that way too."

I saw this last night on one of the comments on the article. This w..."

Ohh, that's really nice art. Look at how the arms are also appropriate to size! (They even look slightly muscular to me.) Actually, this is normal proportions with only a tiny little bit added to the hips.