Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Challenge - General > 2018 Challenge - I finished!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 218 (218 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Nadine in NY (last edited Mar 27, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5931 comments Mod
Here's the place to celebrate when you finish! Congratulations!

Date you finished:
Message number of your list post (if you've got one):
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?):
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?):
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?:
Least favorite prompt:
Prompt you hope to see again:
Last prompt you finished:
Finally, are you in for 2019?

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy | 27 comments Date you finished: March 23rd

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): "Book that involves a bookstore or library"--The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (also read a couple of others that would have fit this--I'm a retired librarian...)

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Last Bus to Wisdom by Ivan Doig for "Book set in the decade you were born (50's)"

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon (Prompt was "Book set on a different planet".) I'm not normally much of a Sci-Fi reader, but I really liked this one.

Least favorite prompt: "Book with an ugly cover"

Prompt you hope to see again: "Book that involves a bookstore or library"

Last prompt you finished: "Book published in 2018", as I was waiting for the next Estelle Ryan book to come out. It arrived on my Kindle March 22nd, read it March 23rd.

Finally, are you in for 2019? You bet! I may try to be a bit less compulsive about it though!

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Williamson | 48 comments Congratulations Judy!!!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy | 27 comments Kim wrote: "Congratulations Judy!!!"

Thanks! I feel a bit geeky about it, but I am retired and living as an expat in Spain, and I love to read. Once I got that list together I just had to keep checking them off.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Congratulations!

I am so glad to hear about someone else who enjoyed Last Bus to Wisdom -- great read!

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula | 42 comments Date you finished: 4/28/18! Just finished!
Message number of your list post: 169
Favorite prompt : A book about time travel - so many good choices. Ended up reading Blackout which is great but unbeknown to me it was a two parter.
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Leopard King - for the "book with your favorite color in the title" prompt.
Least favorite prompt: A bestseller from the year you graduated high school - this was hard, all of the bestsellers from my year held zero interest. So I cheated a read a book that was published as a novel a decade earlier, but was published as a play my year.
Prompt you hope to see again: A book that's published in (2019). I don't read that many new books, so I liked this one a lot.
Last prompt you finished: A book about Feminism
Finally, are you in for 2019? Yes!

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn LeRoy | 24 comments Wow fast!! WTG ladies!!

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Smyth | 10 comments Date you finished: 7.5.18
Message number of your list post: 163
Favorite prompt: True Crime - Three Crooked Kings
Favorite Book (ad what prompt was it for): The Snowman - Nordic Noir
Book you loved that you never would have read if not for the Challenge: Breakfast at Tiffany's
Least favorite prompt: A Book with An Ugly Cover
Prompt you hope to see again: True Crime
lAST PROMPT YOU FINISHED: Nordic Noir
Finally, are you in for 2019: As this is the first time that I have done the challenge, there's a good change that I will be

message 9: by Joyce (last edited Jun 04, 2018 05:39AM) (new)

Joyce | 31 comments Date you finished: 31/05/2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 364
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): Advanced 10. A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge - none of my immediate family or friends are big readers so I appreciate the input. I read and enjoyed Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal. Thanks Kirsty!
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): The Book of Strange New Things for Prompt 27. A book set on a different planet.
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Quite a few although Gone with the Wind was the most outside the box.
Least favorite prompt: Advanced 9. A book about a problem facing society today. Too much overlap with my everyday life/work. Eventually I read a YA quick read (as recommended by a young adult) Junk.
Prompt you hope to see again: 7. A book set in a country that fascinates you - I'm trying to read my way around more of the world.
Last prompt you finished: 2. True Crime - another category I didn't relish and the one where I most prevaricated over what to read. I eventually went for Ballad of the Whiskey Robber and learnt quite a bit about Transylvania along the way.
Finally, are you in for 2019? Oh yes - although I would actually like to have less reading time available!

message 10: by Candice (new)

Candice Date finished: June 2018
Message number: 1060
Favorite prompt and book: goodreads award winner The Hate U Give
Favorite book and prompt: Children of Time for a book set on another planet
Book I loved but might not have read: The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century
Least favorite prompt: Nordic noir The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Prompt I want to see again: favorite prompt from last year
Last prompt I finished: a book about sports Quidditch Through the Ages
I’m probably in for next year, but I will give myself a pass on a category that I really dread like Nordic noir or horror.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Varick-cooper Date you finished: May 23

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 465

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): I really liked most of the prompts, but I'll go with....
The next book in a series you have already started - The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for? A book set in a country that fascinates you - Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?:
A book with your favorite color in the title -Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Also, Ship of Brides by JoJo Moyes (book set at sea)

Least favorite prompt: Allegory! :-( Also, true crime, a heist, the Halloween one, and a book set on a different planet, (if only because I ended up in online discussions with people who insist on thinking the moon is a planet, and being a teacher I found that very hard to let go...)

Prompt you hope to see again: A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge

Last prompt you finished: A book by two authors - Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion and Anne Buist

A few other things... A book I HATED and never would have read if not for the challenge - It Happened at Two in the Morning by Alan Hruska (A book with a time of day in the title)

A challenge I found surprisingly challenging - A book written by someone with the same name as me -- I found that I just don't really like any books written by Lindas

Finally, are you in for 2019? Sure!

message 12: by Ria (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:04PM) (new)

Ria (ria-) | 11 comments Date you finished: Jun 02, 2018
Message number of your list post: message 948
Favorite prompt: 11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym Silkkiäistoukka
Favorite book: Tumma
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Ready Player One
Least favorite prompt: 33. A childhood classic you've never read Vaarallinen juhannus
Prompt you hope to see again: 5. Nordic noir Kolibri
Last prompt you finished: 6. A novel based on a real person Agatha Christie katoaa
Finally, are you in for 2019? yes

message 13: by Tricia (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Tricia | 119 comments Date you finished: 12/6/2018. I read 2 books against each prompt.

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 65

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book about time travel (Kindred and A Stitch in Time)

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): The Forgotten Garden (book by a local author

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The two books I read for the 'A book involving a heist prompt'. The first book I read for that challenge was Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts which I found fascinating. The other book I read for this prompt The Great Train Robbery which was also very good. Both of these books were excellent and would recommend them.

Least favorite prompt: A book about or involving a sport. Having said that though one of the books I read for this prompt was Concussion. I really enjoyed it and this is another book I would not have read if not for this challenge.

Prompt you hope to see again: The next book in a series you started. I have so many books series that I have started. At least this got me finishing some of these book series.

Last prompt you finished: Nordic Noir for no reason other than it was the last book I finished.

Finally, are you in for 2019? Definitely. This is my third year and have found some interesting books through completing these challenges. I also enjoy the challenge of finding books for the prompts and the suggestions made in these forums.

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Smyth | 10 comments Well done

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Lanton (ruthla8) | 148 comments Date you finished: June 16th

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 757 (but I haven't updated it in a while.) I do find the formatting for editing difficult to use.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Keeper of Lost Things I read that for the "author with same first or last name as you" prompt.

Least favorite prompt: There were a few I didn't like. I didn't really like the "book with an ugly cover" prompt, though I generally like the random "book with this color on the cover" types of prompts.

I also REALLY don't like the holiday-themed prompts. Most of the books I read take place over months or years, so it's hard to find one that JUST takes place over one holiday. Last year I used a picture book for the "holiday other than Christmas" prompt, and this year I used one that had a significant plot point take place on All Hallow's Eve (as described in the book) for the "book that takes place on Halloween" prompt, even though the book itself takes place over 11 months or so. Both times felt like "cheating."

Nor was I impressed with the "book you see a stranger reading in a public place." I ended up using a book that Reese Witherspoon posed with on Facebook. Now that I'm following her book club, I would have read that book anyway.

BTW, I really appreciate the "book from a celebrity book club" prompt, or I never would have thought to join her group!

I also didn't appreciate the "book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't." I'm not normally one who plans out my book list in advance. I had to take out a stack of books in late December and not really decide in what order I would read them, to make sure there was something I'd "meant to read in 2017" that I'd actually read in 2018. Had I joined this challenge late, as I did in 2016, I would not have been able to do that prompt at all. Even if it had just stated "a book you meant to read in 2017" that would have given people the option to re-read a book they'd read the year before.

Nor did I like "your favorite prompt from a previous year." That was just TOO vague.

I really enjoy the ones with a random color, shape or animal on the cover (just not "ugly cover!"), or a book published a set number of years ago (the year or decade I was born, or 100+ years ago, etc. And no reading challenge would feel complete without "a book published this year" on it! I also like when there are various specific genres listed- some are "giveaways" because I already read that genre a lot, but others really stretch my reading. I often don't like the books for those prompts, but I like them being part of the challenge.

I do request that future prompts don't require people to actually purchase books. I also think that you should shy away from things like "the year you graduated high school" because not everybody graduated high school. Non-Americans may have a different way of organizing their schools. It would be better to say "a book published the year you turned 18" (though kids would still need to alter the prompt.)

Last prompt you finished: Book recommended by somebody else taking the challenge. I selected the book a while ago; a series I read a few years ago and enjoyed, and I want to reread the books I've already read and continue on with the series. So I purposely saved it for last. I counted the first book in the series for the prompt and now I'm reading the rest for my own pleasure.

Finally, are you in for 2019? Absolutely!

I'm really enjoying the discussions of what books fulfill each prompt, and even though I'm done with the challenge, I still plan to read through the book suggestions for more books to read.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 10 comments Date you finished: 6/13/18
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 40
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?):A book set in a country that fascinates you Pachinko
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): A book with song lyrics in title Stay with Me
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: True Crime Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
Least favorite prompt: Book involving a heist (only b/c I have read alot in this category so had slim pickings and could not get into this book even though many people have recommended it The Lies of Locke Lamora
Prompt you hope to see again: A novel based on a real person
Last prompt you finished:A book about time travel The Jane Austen Project
Finally, are you in for 2019? Yes!

reply | flag *

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 183 comments Woohoo!

Date you finished: 6/19/2018

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): #875

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): #3. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place. So this one surprised me as I was actually dreading it at the beginning of the challenge. I don't actually see a lot of strangers in my day to day life and certainly not ones who are reading. My husband and I took a trip to Vegas and I had so much fun at the pool trying to find potential books to add to my list. By the time we went home, I had 17 potential picks and I ended up reading Since We Fell. I didn't actually care for this book but I enjoyed the challenge of the prompt.

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Career of Evil for #28 a book with song lyrics in the title. I read all three of the Cormoran Strike series and just loved them. This was my favorite though as the mystery was a bit more active throughout the entire book and this one featured Robin a bit more than the others. Can't wait for the next book in the series!

Was there a book you LOVED that you would never have read if not for the Challenge?: So for prompt #40 (favorite prompt from a previous year) I split it up and did multiple years and for 2015 I chose: A book with Non-Human Characters and read The Golem and the Jinni. I had seen this book around for a while (hard to miss that beautiful indigo edging) but the description never really sounded interesting enough to check out. I was surprised by how much I loved the story. Beautiful setting and really interesting characters. Probably never would have taken the risk if not for the satisfaction of completing this prompt.

Least favorite prompt: Advanced #6, Allegory. I hated this prompt. Apparently, I really do not like allegorical stories. I DNF'ed my first choice and found all the others so unappealing that I ended up choosing The Phantom Tollbooth.

Prompt you hope to see again: Probably True Crime or A book about a problem facing society today. These aren't genres I typically pick up but I usually end up enjoying them when I do. It's just enough of a stretch to force me out of my comfort zone and I always find them so fulfilling.

Last prompt you finished: #37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow. This might have actually been my favorite book out of all the prompts (despite what I answered above about Career of Evil). I haven't been this charmed with a story and characters since Harry Potter. This is a middle-grade book and seems like it's an incredibly promising start to a new series. Not perfect, a little silly (written for kids so it makes sense) and some of the plot is reminiscent of other well-known stories but I think as the series progresses it's going to build on its own originality.

Finally, are you in for 2019? Absolutely! I can't wait. I might try to spread it out a tiny bit more. 2 of the last 3 prompts took me almost 2 weeks to finish simply because I was having trouble finding books I was interested in and I forced myself to settle for books that I was not as interested in since I'm competitive and wanted to finish as quickly as I could. Next year I'll remind myself that I'm doing this for my own enjoyment and it's not a race.

Books I read:
Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica Townsend Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James Death of an Expert Witness (Adam Dalgliesh #6) by P.D. James Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman A Corpse in the Koryo (Inspector O, #1) by James Church Uprooted by Naomi Novik Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker A Mother's Reckoning Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold Chocolat by Joanne Harris Black Orchid Blues by Persia Walker The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman Turtles All the Way Down by John Green Heat Wave (Nikki Heat, #1) by Richard Castle Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes #3) by Brittany Cavallaro The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2) by Brittany Cavallaro A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro The Martian by Andy Weir The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs Sunshine by Robin McKinley The Everything Box (Another Coop Heist #1) by Richard Kadrey The Bat (Harry Hole, #1) by Jo Nesbø Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel Love in a Nutshell (Culhane Family #1) by Janet Evanovich Seabiscuit An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Two Little Girls in Blue by Mary Higgins Clark Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2) by Kathy Hogan Trocheck The Year of Less How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store by Cait Flanders Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hawkins | 3 comments Date you finished: July 1, 2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 835
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): 7. A book set in a country that fascinates you - The Bear and the Nightingale
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): 12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist - Lily and the Octopus
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Monster of Florence (#2, True Crime) was fascinating. I didn't love it, but it was very good and I'd never have read it otherwise.
Least favourite prompt: Advanced List #8: A microhistory
Prompt you hope to see again: See above.
Last prompt you finished: Advanced List #3: A book being read by a stranger in a public place
Finally, are you in for 2019? I haven't decided yet. I liked that this list got me out of my comfort zone in terms of reading choices, but I couldn't help feeling I had to get it done as soon as possible (my own idiosyncrasy). As a result, books that I wanted to read had to be put off because they didn't fit the list.

Books I read:
Chocolat
The Monster of Florence
Death du Jour
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Bat
Mrs Queen Takes the Train
The Bear and the Nightingale
Night Chills
The Sisters Brothers
They Both Die at the End
Naked in Death
Lily and the Octopus
Peter Pan and Wendy
A House Without Windows
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Room
Still Life with Woodpecker
Welcome to Night Vale
Quidditch Through the Ages
Remember to Forget
Anne of Green Gables
The Lonely Hearts Hotel
The Last Magician
Anne of Windy Poplars
Lost Voices
Blackbirds
Binti
She's Come Undone
Hallowe'en Party
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Cat's Cradle
Fifteen Dogs
Anne of Avonlea
Space Opera
The Hate U Give
Ladybug, Ladybug
Looking for Alaska
Dark Matter
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Rook
The Cormorant
Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders
The Lovely Bones
Ready Player One
The Boat People
The Redbreast
Pineapple Grenade
Lord of the Flies
The Girl on the Train
Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything
The Fifth Sacred Thing
The Girl in the Tower

reply | flag *

message 19: by Shannon (last edited Jul 11, 2018 11:22AM) (new)

Shannon Date you finished:
7/8/18

“A book that involves a bookstore or a library”-Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- “Book made into a movie you’ve already seen”

Unfortunately no! Yet again my favorites were all rereads. It was a good experience anyway.

Least favorite prompt:
“A microhistory”. I got so stressed trying to find books that I thought fit this!

“A book that involves a bookstore or a library”

“A book with twins”

Yeah, I think I am.

message 20: by El (new)

El | 195 comments Date you finished:
July 11, 2018

"A childhood classic you've never read" - Harriet the Spy

Career of Evil - "A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift"

I wouldn't say loved, but I REALLY LIKED The Great Train Robbery, The Snowman and A Million Years in a Day: A Curious History of Daily Life. I probably never would have read these if not for the challenge.

Least favorite prompt:
"A Cyberpunk book"

"Favourite prompt from a previous year"

"A book that's published in 2018"

Absolutely!

message 21: by Christine (last edited Jul 12, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

Christine McCann | 482 comments Date you finished: July 11th

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): I just linked to my Google spreadsheet

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge - it was really fun to get different people’s takes. This also had potential to broaden your reading without being too hard or to restrictive. (I read Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy and loved it!)

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): The Supernatural Enhancements (for A book about death or grief). This was a good call on my part - instead of choosing something that would depress me, I went for a ghost story. This was excellent, and I’ll probably read it again this year.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. I had heard of it, but true crime is not normally my thing. This was a great book that entranced me AND expanded my mind as a white American - a history lesson we all should be aware of.

Least favorite prompt: Nordic Noir, hands down. Most prompts allow you some wiggle room to suit your selection to your tastes, but this was rigid and inescapable. Not surprised my lowest-rated book came from this prompt.

Prompt you hope to see again: A book you meant to read in [previous year] but didn't get to. As a TBR hoarder, this is a helpful one!

Last prompt you finished: A book that's published in 2018 - waited for the publication date of a sequel I wanted to read

Finally, are you in for 2019? Heck yeah! I’m a little sad I’m done, so I set a new challenge for myself for the rest of the year: read or eliminate the 40 TBR books I already own.

message 22: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 207 comments Date you finished: July 13, 2018

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 658

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): About a villain or anti-hero. I ended up reading You for this prompt which is one of the most terrifying books I've ever read and probably wouldn't have gotten to it without seeing how many people recommended it. I actually read a few different books that were listed in this thread and really enjoyed them.

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): His Majesty's Dragon for a book with an animal in the title. The mix of realistic historical fiction and fantasy was awesome and I've already read the sequel (Throne of Jade) for my favorite colour. Also, I went to a book signing yesterday by the author for her most recent books, so yes. Definitely enjoyed it.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Half a World Away for a country I'm fascinated by. I have a small obsession with Kazakhstan and so went searching specifically for a book from there and was recommended this one about a family that goes to Kazakhstan to adobt. It was heart-wrenching and so moving. Perfect for anyone (especially to-be older siblings) who is going down that path.

Least favorite prompt: Bestseller from your graduation year. Basically all books on that list were book 20ish of a pop series, I'd already read, or were self help books. I ended up reading just a book that was published that year, which I enjoyed The Graveyard Book.
I also was not looking forward to the same name prompt because of how unique my name is. I ended up finding a book in a book store randomly, and it was a thesis called Imagining the Future of Climate Change: World-Making through Science Fiction and Activism, with 2 reviews on goodreads. Definitely not something I'd normally read and it was a bit under developed but made me think.

Prompt you hope to see again: I liked next in a series and book meant to read in 2017. I like pushing to read from the TBR list. I went with The Prisoner of Heaven and Aberystwyth Mon Amour.The first was amazing, the former not so much.

Last prompt you finished: Being read by a stranger in a public place. I've been keeping a list of all the books I'd seen people read so I purposefully kept this for last. I choose Sharp Objects. Super creepy.

Finally, are you in for 2019? Absolutely

message 23: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 630 comments Date you finished: July 14

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): #276 -- however, I also have a complete list as well as a more in-depth breakdown of what I read on my DeviantArt journal, which you can read here if you're insanely curious -- https://www.deviantart.com/kenyastarf...

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): I liked most of the prompts! Though if I had to pick favorites I'd have to say "book with an animal in the title" (I read Lily and the Octopus), "book set on another planet" (The Left Hand of Darkness), and "a book involving a bookstore or library" (The Bookshop on the Corner, known in the UK as The Little Shop of Happy Ever After).

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Another hard one! It's a toss-up, but favorites would have to include Space Opera (book published in 2018), The Refrigerator Monologues (book about feminism), Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things (book with an ugly cover), Room (former Goodreads Choice Award winner), and The Poisonwood Bible (book with characters who are twins).

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: I'd been dragging my feet about reading anything by Andre Norton for awhile, so the "book by a female author using a male pseudonym" was the kick in the pants I needed to read some of her work. The Beast Master was wonderful!

Least favorite prompt: Probably "cyberpunk." I'm starting to think that genre isn't for me...

Prompt you hope to see again: I like the "book mentioned in another book" prompt and was excited to see it again. Also the "book with song lyrics in the title" was challenging but fun. I hope next year to see the "book originally published in another language" prompt or the "book written by someone from a country you've never visited" prompt again... I missed those this time around.

Last prompt you finished: "A book recommended by someone else taking the PopSugar challenge," for which I read Lovecraft Country. The FIRST prompt I finished was "book with your favorite color in the title," for which I read The Silver Chair.

Finally, are you in for 2019? Heck yeah! Love this challenge -- it's always a lot of fun.

message 24: by Monica (new)

Monica Hills | 19 comments Date you finished: 7/21/18

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 33

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book about time travel- The Medievalist which I also happened to win in a Goodreads Giveaway!

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): To Dance with KingsA book you borrowed or given to you as a gift

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?The Olive Tree I love this author but this book was a break from her traditional writing and the book was really long. I don't know if I would have ever gotten around to reading this if not for the challenge.

Least favorite prompt: A book being read in public- I could not find anyone reading a book in public. I went to multiple libraries. It wasn't until Jury duty that I finally found someone and then I had read almost every book I saw. Some of the books I couldn't see. It took me until July to finally find a book I hadn't read by someone at a public pool.

Prompt you hope to see again: A book with time travel!

Last prompt you finished: Microhistory- another prompt that was not my favorite.

Finally, are you in for 2019? YES!!!

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne Date you finished:07/23/2018

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 298

Tie for me – I loved going outside the box for an ugly cover (Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather) and best seller from a year you graduated from high school (I did not care for Scott Turow’s The Burden of Proof, but it was nice to go back in time.) I also loved the idea of searching for books with twins in them (had two back to back somehow (Before We Were Yours and The Thirteenth Tale)) as well as set in a bookstore/ library.

My local author was amazing, Kingdom of Happiness: Living the Beatitudes in Everyday Life. I know the author and would have read it anyway, though. This was probably one of the two most uplifting books I read during this challenge.

All of my five star reads from this challenge were already on my To Read list. The highest rated book that I read that wasn’t on my To Reads list was Carl Hiaasen’s Double Whammy about competitive fishing. It was also a pretty sophisticated murder mystery, which is firmly in my comfort zone, set in 1980s non-beach front Florida – a place that really, sadly, doesn’t exist anymore. I also gave a high rating to A Season in Purgatory which was my anti-hero book. I probably would have read that at some point, but with the release of the Chappaquidick movie, it seemed like the right book for the time and it did NOT disappoint. Ironically, Dominick Dunne and Ted Kennedy passed away a day apart in August 2009– fun fact! Of course, Mary Jo Kopechne was murdered in 1969 with Rose’s oldsmobile and Marth Moxley in 1975 with Michael Skakel’s 6 iron.

Least favorite prompts:
Had to pluralize that! Cyberpunk was the worst for me, but I didn’t like the different planet, Nordic Noir, or time travel choices. These were things I wouldn’t want to put myself through again. And they are so specific – all but Nordic Noir requires Sci Fi. Other prompts allow you to find books that you will enjoy. I wasn’t thrilled with the LBGTQ prompt either, as my selection had the rape of a young boy and I would never assume that to have been in the book. I hated the book and could barely finish it.
I felt there were too many ‘downer’ topics on the list as well. The death/ grief, societal issue, and mental health selections were tough. Oddly, fruit and vegetable was almost too challenging. I was determined to only read books outside the children’s section and without access to Veggie Tales, it took a while to find something.

Prompts you hope to see again:
Childhood classic you haven’t read or published in the decade of your birth. There are some great works out there and we shouldn’t be so focused on only reading today’s latest read. I also enjoyed the twins, country that fascinated me, alliteration and book mentioned in another book.

I planned on my allegory for the end. Wise Blood by Flannery O’Connor is pretty deep and I’d need to concentrate! Fortunately, I knew that this book would be a ray a sunshine.

Probably not. This list was too sci-fi heavy and sad topics for my tastes. After I have spent my day at work, I’d rather be uplifted or entertained, not bawling my eyes out over The Shack or wanting to through the book out a window during Ready Player One. I was hoping to get some great reading ideas from this list and my taste might be a bit more mature than most of the participants.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Anne wrote: "Date you finished:07/23/2018

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 298

Tie for me – I loved going outside the box for an ugl..."

I wonder if with a little more practice you'd be able to find more books you'd enjoy that fit prompts. I agree about Nordic Noir and some others being too restrictive, but, for instance, in my opinion most murder mysteries fit the 'death and grief' prompt perfectly well, since by definition a murder involves death. No need to read a sad book there if you don't want to!

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1160 comments Anne wrote: "I was hoping to get some great reading ideas from this list and my taste might be a bit more mature than most of the participants."

:( This comment makes me sad. It's not immature to like genre fiction. The point of a challenge is to read outside our comfort zones and sometimes that means reading something that we don't end up liking. But it also means that you could discover something new that you wouldn't have found otherwise. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your challenge reading, but plenty of readers of all ages have been enjoying it.

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne Raquel wrote: " in my opinion most murder mysteries fit the 'death and grief' prompt perfectly well, since by definition a murder involves death

I wish I had thought of that! I clearly erred on the side of grief and it was a heart-wrenching read!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Bearss | 2 comments I finished this morning! Yay :) (Message 1101 in the reading list thread)

Date you finished: Today (July 31 2018)
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): 6. A novel based on a real person - Enchanted Islands by Allison Amend
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?):36. A book set in the decade you were born - Misery by Stephen King
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Warcross by Marie Lu (Cyberpunk)
Least favorite prompt: 41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school (because I've read most of them already)
Prompt you hope to see again: 23. A book about time travel
Last prompt you finished: 41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
Finally, are you in for 2019? - Absolutely!

My List:
1. A book made into a movie you've already seen - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
2. True crimeThe Spider and the Fly: A Reporter, a Serial Killer, and the Meaning of Murder by Claudia Rowe
3. The next book in a series you started - The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett
4. A book involving a heist - The Rooster Bar by John Grisham
5. Nordic noir - The Man Who Died by Antti Tuomainen
6. A novel based on a real person - Enchanted Islands by Allison Amend
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you - A Pyramid of Mud by Andrea Camilleri
8. A book with a time of day in the title -Midnight Line by Lee Child
9. A book about a villain or antihero - The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
10. A book about death or grief - Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist - The People we Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder
13. A book that is also a stage play or musical - Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you - Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell
15. A book about feminism - The Power by Naomi Alderman
16. A book about mental health - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift - Rabbit Remembered by John Updike
18. A book by two authors - Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King & Owen King
19. A book about or involving a sport - Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman (soccer)
20. A book by a local author - This Fallen Prey by Kelley Armstrong
21. A book with your favourite colour in the title - Black Water Rising by Attica Locke
22. A book with alliteration in the title - Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King
23. A book about time travel- How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
24. A book with a weather element in the title The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
25. A book set at sea - Fluke by Christopher Moore
26. A book with an animal in the title- Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
27. A book set on a different planet - The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett
28. A book with song lyrics in the title - Aunt Dimity and the Summer King by Nancy Atherton (Summer Kings by Cutty Ranks)
29. A book about or set on Halloween - Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
30. A book with characters who are twins - The Hush by John Hart
31. A book mentioned in another book - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Magpie Murders)
32. A book from a celebrity book club - The Lying Game by Ruth Ware (Reese Witherspoon Book Club)
33. A childhood classic you've never read - Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
34. A book that's published in 2018 - The Shadow Killer by Arnaldur Indridason
35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner - Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (debut Goodreads author 2015)
36. A book set in the decade you were born - Misery by Stephen King
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to - The Unquiet Past by Kelley Armstrong
38. A book with an ugly cover - Flight by Sherman Alexie
39. A book that involves a bookstore or library - Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan
40. Your favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, or 2017 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges - The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (2017 Popsugar 28. A Novel set during Wartime)

Advanced Reading Challenge

41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school - White Oleander by Janet Fitch
42. A cyberpunk book - Warcross by Marie Lu
43. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place - The Outsider by Stephen King (Starbucks on Instagram)
44. A book tied to your ancestry - Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers
45. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title - Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
46. An allegory - The Stand by Stephen King
47. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you - The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond
48. A microhistory - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
49. A book about a problem facing society today - Origin by Dan Brown (Decline of religion)
50. A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge - The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Date you finished: 7/31/18

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 484

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): I enjoyed the prompts that turned me into a book sleuth. I liked the "book mentioned in another book" prompt because now I notice all of the books mentioned in other books. I even started keeping a note in the notes app on my phone where I jot down every book mentioned in other books. It's fun. For the prompt this year I read Mrs. Dalloway. I also enjoyed the "book being read by a stranger" prompt. I travelled more than usual this year, and took a total of 6 flights, and on each flight I would walk creepily down the aisles trying to see what people were reading. I came to realize that people primarily read thrillers on planes, and I'm not interested in thrillers, but on my last of the six flights I saw someone reading this year's Pulitzer winner, Less, so I decided to read that and I really liked it.

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): This is what happens when for years and years you judge a book by it's cover. My mom loves Barbara Kingsolver, and has been trying to get me to read some of her earlier novels for more than a decade, but they just look so dreadfully boring that I refused. Then I saw the "ugly cover" prompt and knew it was time for me to finally read one of Kingsolver's ugly books. I chose Animal Dreams and loved it so so much. Now I want to read everything by her. Go figure. I still maintain that it's a horrible cover though.
Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Yep - two. March: Book One for a book by two authors. I didn't think graphic novels were for me, but I adored this three volume series about the civil rights movement. But the one that most surprised me was The Halloween Tree. I was dreading the Halloween prompt because I do not like scary things at all. I chose this Bradbury book because it was sometimes listed as middle grade so I figured I could handle it. I was so surprised at how truly delightful it was. I didn't find it scary at all, but so engaging and fun. And I definitely never would have read it if not for the challenge.

Least favorite prompt: Easy - Nordic noir. This was the only prompt I really cheated on. I didn't like the prompt because the focus is so narrow and "forces" you to read a book with graphic violence. One article I read described Nordic noir like this: "Nordic noir represents the bleakest of the bleak, often centering on brutal crimes tinged with shocking violence." I'm really sensitive and choose not to read any of that. I did try one true Nordic noir novel, that was billed by some as not too bad, and they were probably right, but even that I couldn't handle. So I counted Beartown as Nordic noir because it was Nordic and dark, even though it isn't actually in the genre.

Prompt you hope to see again: I like the prompts that focus on diversity - like the author of a different ethnicity and a book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist, so I hope to see more like that again.

Last prompt you finished: Time travel. I had a hard time with this prompt. I originally had The Winter Sea down for the prompt, and I read it, and there was no time travel. So then I started The Eyre Affair, but I just really couldn't get into it, and couldn't imagine spending almost 400 pages with it. So I decided to listen to The Time Machine because it was a classic and short, and I did end up appreciating it.

Finally, are you in for 2019? For sure! This was my first time doing any sort of reading challenge, and it completely changed my reading life. Last year I read 44 books, which was the most I've read in a year in my adult life. Well - today is July 31st and I've already completed 72 books, and that is in large part because of this challenge and this community.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 715 comments Date you finished: August 5, 2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): #1103

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): "A book set on a different planet" was my favorite prompt because I love science fiction. I thought I was going to read Artemis for the prompt, but decided to use it for "a book about a heist" instead. Then, I thought I'd read Redshirts, but decided to use that for "a book about time travel" instead. I ended up slotting All Systems Red into that prompt. All told, I read 7 books set on other planets this year.

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Wow! That's a tough question. I read so many great books this year. I think I'll pick Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. I read it for "a book you borrowed or were given as a gift." I love finding unique books that surprise me and change my understanding of what a genre can be.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: I don't think I would have read a childhood classic without that prompt. I read The Secret Garden. I'm so sad I missed this book when I was a child. I would have loved everything about it and spent my days looking for a secret haven in my backyard.

Least favorite prompt: I wasn't happy to see "Nordic noir" as a prompt. After reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I'm certain this genre is not for me, and I was right to dread it.

Prompt you hope to see again: I liked "a book mentioned in another book" because it motivated me to read a classic novel. I'm a somewhat reluctant reader when it comes to classics.

Last prompt you finished: "A book published in 2018" seemed like a fitting category to finish out the challenge.

Finally, are you in for 2019? This challenge has been a lot of fun because the prompts were great. It really did broaden my reading horizons! I don't think I would have read half the books I did this year if not for the prompts and recommendations in our check-in threads. But it all depends on the prompts for 2019.

Here is my 2018 Pop Sugar Reading Challenge in the order I read them.

Beartown (Beartown, #1) by Fredrik Backman The Silver Witch by Paula Brackston Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett Artemis by Andy Weir News of the World by Paulette Jiles The Steady Running of the Hour by Justin Go The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie Lucy in the Sky by Paige Toon Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe Redshirts by John Scalzi The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1) by Harper Lee Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore Lost Lake (Lost Lake, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen When the English Fall by David Williams Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night by Jen Campbell My Lady's Choosing An Interactive Romance Novel by Kitty Curran All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells Sacrifice Moon (Stargate SG-1, #2) by Julie Fortune Ella Minnow Pea A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #1) by Francesca Lia Block The Edge of the World (Terra Incognita, #1) by Kevin J. Anderson Sing Fox to Me by Sarah Kanake The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware The Good People by Hannah Kent Everybody Lies Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1) by Jennifer Weiner Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin First Frost (Waverley Family, #2) by Sarah Addison Allen Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold How to Fall In Love with a Man Who Lives in a Bush by Emmy Abrahamson The Royal We by Heather Cocks Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot #39) by Agatha Christie Nightfall (Stargate Atlantis, #10) by James Swallow Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3) by Becky Chambers

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 23 comments Date you finished: Today - August 16th.

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 262 - I was a bit creative with some of the prompts, mind.

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): The book you meant to read in 2017 - The Diary of a Bookseller.

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Purple Hibiscus for the prompt on favourite colour.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Both the above books.

Least favorite prompt: Number 7 on the Advanced List - book with an author who has the same first or last name as you. I chose Midwives for this, simply for the shared first name. I'm particular about my privacy on social media, so if I couldn't find anything by an author with the same or similar first name that I wanted to read I would have given this prompt a miss.

Prompt you hope to see again: Maybe favourite prompt from a different year.

Last prompt you finished: The bestseller from the year you graduated high school (I chose a bestseller published in the year I finished my A Levels).

Finally, are you in for 2019? I'm certainly considering it - I'll see what the prompts are first, and then I'll make my mind up then. I want to see if I can reduce some of my TBR pile, and if it matches up with another challenge I'm going to start shortly.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyforthewin) | 42 comments 2018 popsugar reading challenge
✓ A book made into a movie you’ve already seen: Life of Pi by Yann Martel; Matilda by Roald Dahl; The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant; Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
✓ True crime: The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant;
✓ The next book in a series you started: The Last Star by Rick Yancey; Tangled Thoughts by Cara Bertrand
✓ A book involving a heist: Artemis by Andy Weir
✓ Nordic noir: The Forgotten Girls by Sara Blaedal
✓ A novel based on a real person: Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson; The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant;
✓ A book set in a country that fascinates you: Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor (Greece, Turkey and France); P.S. from Paris by Marc Levy (France)
✓ A book with a time of day in the title: Every Day by David Levithan
✓ A book about a villain or antihero: Artemis by Andy Weir; Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan; The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant; Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk; Heartless by Marissa Meyer
✓ A book about death or grief: Life of Pi by Yann Martel, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas; The Last Star by Rick Yancey
✓ A book with your favorite color in the title: Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
✓ A book with alliteration in the title: P.S. from Paris by Marc Levy; A Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
✓ A book about time travel: Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan
✓ A book with a weather element in the title: The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant
✓ A book set at sea: Life of Pi by Yann Martel
✓ A book with an animal in the title: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
✓ A book set on a different planet: Artemis by Andy Weir
✓ A book with a song lyric in the title: The Hate U Give (Tupac in T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E.)
✓ A book about it set on Halloween: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
✓ A book with characters who are twins: The Forgotten Girls by Sara Blaedel
✓ A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym: Agnes Grey By Anne Bronte (Acton Bell)
✓ A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist: Every Day by David Levithan; Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
✓ A book that is also a stage play or musical: Matilda by Roald Dahl
✓ A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas; Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
✓ A book about feminism: Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay; Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
✓ A book about mental health: Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson; Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk; Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
✓ A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift: Life of Pi by Yann Martel
✓ A book by two authors: Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor
✓ A book about it involving a sport: Fight Club by Chick Palahniuk
✓ A book by a local author: Tangled Thoughts by Cara Bertrand
✓ A book mentioned in another book: Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion (mentioned by Roxanne Gay in Bad Feminist)
✓ A book from a celebrity book club: Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal (Reese Witherspoon)
✓ A childhood classic you’ve never read: Matilda by Roald Dahl
✓ A book that’s published in 2018: Circe by Madeline Miller ; Legendary by Stephanie Garner
✓ A past goodreads choice awards winner: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
✓ A book set in the decade you were born: Life of Pi by Yann Martel; Play it As It Lays by Joan Didion
✓ A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn’t get to:The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
✓ A book with an ugly cover: Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan
✓ A book that involves a bookstore or library: Matilda by Roald Dahl; Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
✓ Your favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, or 2017 popsugar reading challenges: a book about an interesting woman; Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay; Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

2018 reading challenge advanced

✓ A bestseller from the year you graduated high school: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk;
✓ A cyberpunk book: Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan
✓ A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (from instagram account subwaybookreview)
✓ A book tied to your ancestry: Becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey
✓ A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
✓ An allegory: The Last Star by Rick Yancey
✓ A book by an author with the same first or last name as you: A Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
✓ A micro history: The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant
✓ A book about a problem facing society today: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas; Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson; Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
✓ A book recommended by someone else taking the Popsugar Reading Challenge:Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

message 34: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 741 comments Date you finished: 8/21/18 - Finally! I've been done with all but one prompt since early July, just waiting on the last book to be available from the library.
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 1113
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A Cyberpunk book. It's one of my favorite genre, and I had fun looking for one I hadn't read. Tea from an Empty Cup It wasn't my favorite cyberpunk, but I still enjoyed it and plan to read more from the author.
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): I read a lot of pretty good ones, maybe The Bear and the Nightingale, it was a lovely fantasy. Used it for a book with an animal in the title.
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: I don't know about NEVER would have read, but The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society isn't within my normal genres, and it really only came onto my radar because a bunch of people read it last year for popsugar. I don't know how soon I'd have gotten to it, if it hadn't' fit in a prompt this year (vegetable in the title).
Least favorite prompt: True Crime - I don't mind thrillers, but I prefer crimes to be fictional. I don't want to delve deeply into people who do terrible things. And for less violent crimes, the motivations are rarely anything I can get behind.
Prompt you hope to see again: I always like book published in current year prompt, it's a good way to fit in a new book that might not work elsewhere or to encourage people to read something current.
Last prompt you finished: True Crime (mostly because I was on hold for it forever)
Finally, are you in for 2019? Probably. Feeling a little burnt out on having to make sure everything I'm reading fits a prompt, but I still have a good four months to just read whatever. By the time January rolls around I'll probably be raring to go again.

message 35: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1715 comments Ellie wrote: "Anne wrote: "I was hoping to get some great reading ideas from this list and my taste might be a bit more mature than most of the participants."

:( This comment makes me sad. It's not immature to ..."

It makes me sad too. I actually enjoy finding books by thinking out of the box for some prompts, like my book for true crime was The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century because I really did not want to read some grim or sensationalist serial killer book. My mental health book was Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith. In fact, I could easily use mysteries for all prompts except I want to diversify my reading.

And each year there is some book or two that was absolutely wonderful, and but for the discussions in this group, I would never have discovered it .. like The Hate U Give and Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows.

I hope you give us another chance.

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Oertel | 742 comments Date you finished: 8/24/18

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 570

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge - A Man Called Ove

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): probably also A Man Called Ove

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: I think I can attribute Ove to the challenge since it got me to read Beartown first, which I loved, but Ove was just as heartwarming without as much of the trauma. It's now one of my all-time favorites.

Least favorite prompt: I didn't care for nordic noir, cyberpunk, and involving a heist

Prompt you hope to see again: I also like the ones about expanding author and subject representation (different ethnicity, country that fascinates you, LGBTQ, mental health, etc.) And the prompt about other readers' recommendations was fun.

Last prompt you finished: allegory

Finally, are you in for 2019? Yes! It's been so fun and I will continue with weekly check-ins. The challenge has been a great source of recommendations, even when the books didn't fill any prompts I was working on. I love knowing that there are others out there as obsessed with reading as I am. :)

message 37: by Katy (new)

Katy | 17 comments Date you finished: August 25, 2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 686
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): Local author, Rachel Rose, The Dog Lover Unit The Dog Lover Unit: Lessons in Courage from the World's K9 Cops
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Little Fires Everywhere - Previous Goodreads Winner
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: SIx of Crows, really good heist, really good YA
Least favorite prompt: Cyperpunk again ugh
Prompt you hope to see again: Local Author
Last prompt you finished: Previous Goodreads Winner
Finally, are you in for 2019? OF COURSE!

message 38: by Heidi (last edited Aug 28, 2018 03:36AM) (new)

Heidi | 15 comments Date you finished: August 27, 2018

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 1116
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner: Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?) Same book as my favorite prompt!
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge? The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu (the entire series!)
Least Favorite Prompt: A book made into a movie you've already seen (why read a rerun when there are so many NEW stories to read?)
Prompt you hope to see again: A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner (the odds of it being a great read are very good)
Last prompt I finished: A book with a weather element in the title
Am I ready for next year?!? YES!!! I wish they would post it already. I want to start planning!

message 39: by Theresa (last edited Sep 22, 2018 09:43PM) (new)

Theresa | 1715 comments Date you finished: August 28, 2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 383
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): Children's classic never read - The Secret Garden
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): The Last Watchman of Old Cairo - characters who were twins
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century - I needed a true crime, one of my least favorite genres, and I did not want a serial killer story. I had to do some hunting, and fortunately for me this was just published and got some good promo.
Least favorite prompt: cyberpunk (please never again!) and true crime
Prompt you hope to see again: Book About Feminism
Last prompt you finished: book about time travel - which is ironic because the book I read was one from my TBR that made me suggest the prompt to Pop Sugar in 2017, and I had planned to read it since January 1!
Finally, are you in for 2019? Absolutely! Bring it on!

message 40: by Teri (last edited Aug 30, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1152 comments Date you finished: August 29, 2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 788 (was 791 until this morning)

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): Favorite color in the title - Redshirts by John Scalzi

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for cyberpunk book

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
I had always believed that I would not like these books and planned to never read them. And then along came the Nordic Noir prompt, so I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I liked it so well that I read The Girl Who Played with Fire for the LGBTQ+ protagonist prompt and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest for next book in a series.

Least favorite prompt: Book read by a stranger in a public place

Prompt you hope to see again: Childhood classic you've never read

Last prompt you finished: Book read by a stranger in a public place

Finally, are you in for 2019? Absolutely - this has been a lot of fun, and it is the first PopSugar challenge I've finished. Discovering this group is the biggest reason why I completed it this year.

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 200 comments Date you finished: September 3

Message number of your list post (if you've got one):N/A

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book involving a book store or library. I read Summer Hours at the Robbers Library

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): The Orphan Mother. I read it for a book that was borrowed or given as a gift.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Whiter Than Snow for a stranger reading in a public place.

Least favorite prompt: Nordic Noir, Stranger in a Public Place, and Local Author (in that order)

Prompt you hope to see again: A book you meant to read the year before (a great way to work on my TBR pile)

Last prompt you finished: A book with a whether element in the title (Followed by Frost).

Finally, are you in for 2019? Probably, unless I really hate the prompts I'm in.

message 42: by SPG (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

SPG (spglovesbooks) | 3 comments Date you finished: 8/22/2018

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): N/A

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A Book Being Read by a Stranger in a public place I Read: Pachinko

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Emma in the Night I read it for: A Book with a Time of Day in the Title

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

Least favorite prompt: A Book About or set on Halloween

Prompt you hope to see again: A Book From a Celebrity Book Club

Last prompt you finished: A Book Set at Sea

Finally, are you in for 2019? Absolutely!

reply | flag *

message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 709 comments Date you finished: September 4

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 1029

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): a childhood classic you never read: The Wonderful Wizard of oz

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): The Girl on the Train for book that was a previous Goodreads award winner

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Helter Skelter. I don't read true crime. I think it's disturbing and I don't think people should profit from others' misery. But, it was really interesting

Least favorite prompt: A book with an LGBTQ protagonist

Prompt you hope to see again: Maybe the childhood classic. While browsing through the children's section, it appears I must have never read as a child:)

Last prompt you finished: Book with an ugly cover.

Finally, are you in for 2019? Bring it on.

message 44: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5931 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "Finally, are you in for 2019? Probably not. I'm due with my first kid in 3 weeks so I think I'm going to limit it to one reading challenge (ATY in 52 weeks)..."

Congratulations! I hope you can still find some time to read! I learned how to read one-handed, while holding the baby in my other arm - small flexible paperbacks with fluffy plots worked best :-)

message 45: by Johanne (last edited Sep 12, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Erin wrote: "Date you finished: September 11th

Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 484

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book about mental health ([book:Everything Here..."

Congratulations! My reading definitely suffered, when I had my first child. But I learned that not too heavy books (both weight and content-wise), with easy to follow plots, and short story collections, worked best. I think I would have read more if technology had looked the way it does now - so I could´ve read on my phone (my oldest turns 18 next month, there were not many smartphones around in 2000). Be prepared to be interrupted!

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan Bowder | 51 comments Date you finished: 9/19/18
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 94

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A childhood classic you've never read, since it makes he think of books from my younger days that I somehow missed reading. I read Where the Red Fern Grows

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Either The Great Alone for a book set in the decade you were born or The Alice Network for a book from a celebrity book club.

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Ready Player One

Least favorite prompt: A book set on a different planet since I didn't care for the book I read.

Prompt you hope to see again: The next book in a series you started

Last prompt you finished: A book set in the decade you were born

Finally, are you in for 2019? Definitely! Looking forward to it!

message 47: by Michaelyn (new)

Michaelyn  Howard Mullan (michaelyn_rose) | 17 comments Date you finished: 9/21/18
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): None

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book made into a movie you've already seen - Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Life

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Turtles All The Way Down - A book you meant to get to in 2017 but didn't

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Beast Within

Least favorite prompt: A book with an author who has the same first or last name as you

Prompt you hope to see again: A book with an animal in the title

Last prompt you finished: A book with an author who has the same first or last name as you

Finally, are you in for 2019? For sure, I just found out about this this year and I'm working on the past challenges right now

Books I Read For The Challenge:
Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life
I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Marvelous Misadventures of Ingrid Winter
Yes Please
The Complete Persepolis
The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince
A Man Called Ove
Wuthering Heights
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Milk and Honey
We Gon' Be Alright: Notes on Race and Resegregation
Chasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series
Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement
Quidditch Through the Ages
The Feminist Utopia Project: Fifty-Seven Visions of a Wildly Better Future
The Trinidad Mystery
The Color Purple
Pride and Prejudice
A Wrinkle in Time
Hope in the Dark
Robinson Crusoe
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Girls & Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape
Coraline
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The House on Mango Street
The Vagina Monologues
The Little Prince
Digging In
Everything, Everything
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Turtles All the Way Down
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
American Hookup: The New Culture of Sex on Campus
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Snowpiercer: The Escape
Electric Arches
The Sun and Her Flowers
Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
The Alchemist
Captain Underpants: Official Handbook
The Mother of All Questions
The Hate U Give
Bad Girls: Young Women, Sex, and Rebellion before the Sixties

message 48: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 405 comments Message number of your list post (if you've got one): - 1101

Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): Your favorite prompt from the 2015-2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges (because that was easy to do) Chasing the Green Fairy by Melanie Karsak (which I didn't like nearly as much as the first book in the series)

Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): For fiction it was Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch for A book recommended by someone else taking the PopSugar Reading Challenge For non fiction it was Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson for A book about mental health

Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1 by Emil Ferris for A book set in the decade you were born

Least favorite prompt: A book from a celebrity book club (since I couldn't give a crap about what celebrities are recommending) tied with A book about or involving a sport (because not really a sports fan)

Prompt you hope to see again: A book that involves a bookstore or library, A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist, True crime, A book set on a different planet

Last prompt you finished: A book set in a country that fascinates you

Finally, are you in for 2019? Oh yes!

message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert (robthew) | 3 comments Date you finished: 9/20/2018
Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 381
Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): A book with song lyrics in the title, for which I read Animals Strike Curious Poses
Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1, for A book set in the decade you were born
Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: The Queen's Gambit
Least favorite prompt: A book about or set on Halloween. It is so narrowly specific that there are few books that fit the prompt.
Prompt you hope to see again: A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
Last prompt you finished: A cyberpunk book
Finally, are you in for 2019? Yes

message 50: by Allison (last edited Sep 24, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Allison | 116 comments *Date you finished: 9/23/2018
*Message number of your list post (if you've got one): 151
*Favorite prompt (and what book did you read for it?): Book from a celebrity book club. I've never looked for a celebrity book club before, and enjoyed browsing through some lists. Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine (Reese Witherspoon)
*Favorite book (and what prompt was it for?): Beartown for a book about a sport
*Was there a book you LOVED that you never would have read if not for the Challenge?: Not really. All the books I loved I would have read anyway, and was just happy when they fit into the challenge. I didn't LOVE any of the books I chose specifically to fit a challenge prompt.
*Least favorite prompt: Cyberpunk. I had a really hard time figuring out what it was and what books counted. After reading 2 books that I determined didn't really count, I listened Minority Report and Other Stories (which was enjoyable).
*Prompt you hope to see again: Any prompts promoting diverse reading.
*Last prompt you finished: A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title. The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
*Finally, are you in for 2019? Definitely!

« previous 1 3 4 5