Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 198 (198 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Here's a place to post the amusing things you happen upon, because like all good political ideas these days, if it can be distilled into a memetic form then it must not be real....

I'll start:

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Wish I'd thought of this:

message 3: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments LOL

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments My own social media contribution to the maelstrom of Trump humor/horror:

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 6: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments This thread is getting better than my twitter timeline, hahaha.
Keep them coming please :)

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Yoly wrote: "This thread is getting better than my twitter timeline, hahaha.
Keep them coming please :)"

Here's one that's been making the rounds today for some reason....

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Strictly speaking, this one is not politics... but it kind of is these days.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Gary wrote: ""

LOL.

message 10: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments lol

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Good hygiene advice:

message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments This about sums it up:

message 13: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments HAHAHAHA

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Grammar:

message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 17: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments PMSL! I love it!

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I don't know the details, but apparently the cartoonist got fired for this one, which has a certain 21st century irony that only Orwell and certain latter day Confederates could love:

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Disgustingly accurate, your assessment.,

message 23: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments You know some racist jackass is gonna start calling the owners of this place "yellow cannibals," don't you?

message 25: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Amber wrote: "You know some racist jackass is gonna start calling the owners of this place "yellow cannibals," don't you?"

I expect they'll need no prompting.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments That's what I'm worried about.

message 27: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 28: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 29: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Given the general state of American journalism, it's no surprise that we're getting more truth out of Mad magazine these days:

message 30: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 31: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 32: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Gary wrote: ""

I don't understand this one. Re: stick of butter labeled Emails.

message 33: by Gary (last edited Jul 06, 2018 03:11PM) (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Amber wrote: "I don't understand this one. Re: stick of butter labeled Emails."

Say it slow: Butter... emails....

message 34: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 35: by Gary (last edited Jul 06, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I took one of those DNA tests, BTW. It was a birthday present. (I've taken IQ tests too... totally passed.)

According to SpitInThis.Com I'm mostly Spanish or, rather, of the "Iberian Peninsula" because they can't really differentiate between particular national units. About 40% that anyway. About 20% "Western Europe" which according to the DNA spit is France, Germany, etc. 7% Polynesian, 14% East Asia, 8% Ireland.

I mention it because Warren thinking she has Native American heritage might be based on anecdotal evidence that she got from her family, and it might simply be wrong. My own family history comes only from adoption papers, and they can be a little vague. So, one said, "English, Spanish, Filipino" and another just said, "English and Spanish." Turns out Spanish was right, and could have been right in on both sides of my family tree as the Spanish were in the Philippines quite a bit, and there's probably some background between Iberia and Western Europe. But "English" was 100% wrong. (Or as "wrong" as that kind of test can be....) Not a drop of it. Not even a molecule. There were more traces of "North Africa" than Britain in my D of the NA. "East Asian" was a surprise, but zero "British" let alone "English" was more of a surprise.

To look at me, you'd not pick out any sort of Polynesian or Asian background. I'm all middle class, suburban white-boy under my jeans, regardless of my genes, and you are mostly what you're raised to be and how you are accepted in the culture in which you're surrounded.

My point is, the whole "Pocahontas" thing always struck me as extra-Trumpian obnoxious, particularly since from what I've read, he doesn't have the "German genetic superiority" he seems to think he does. I haven't spent a lot of time looking, but he's more Dutch than German according to the family history stuff I read. (Geneologists may disagree, and feel free to fact check me.) Not that it matters much. He's a New York sleaze scion of the pimp/slumlord class. That's the culture/acceptance into which he was born and raised, so that's how he rolls.

He should still take a DNA test, though. Everybody should. You have to take those results with a grain of salt because they are at a certain point arbitrary, but it's interesting, and worth it for the entertainment value.

message 36: by Amber (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Gary wrote: "Amber wrote: "I don't understand this one. Re: stick of butter labeled Emails."

Say it slow: Butter... emails...."

Still don't get it.

Re: DNA: Family legend says that my uncle Harold Guin was related to Loretta Lynn's mom and if I remember the last time I watched Coal Miner's Daughter, the actor playing Loretta's father said her mother was part Cherokee. If both of those are true, my cousins Carolyn, Kay and Rosie are related to Loretta Lynn's twin daughters through their father, my Uncle Harold.

message 37: by Gary (last edited Jul 07, 2018 05:08PM) (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Butter Emails = But Her Emails....

I had a theory that my afamily (adoptive family) were Jewish. The family history involved leaving Germany for Russia as part of the Czar Peter's effort to modernize, then leaving Russia when the Czar fell because the Russians thought they were Jews, German sounding quite a bit like Yiddish. All that is plausible, but all that moving around also fits neatly with them actually being Jewish. Hence, my theory was that they really were Jews. But it turns out nope. Not a bit.

I also suspected that I had some sort of Native American/South American in my background too since "Spanish" was a pretty generalized concept back in the days when they were writing up that paperwork. It could have practically meant anything south of the Mason-Dixon Line.... But nope. Turns out that's what they meant by "English" on there, not Spanish.

But the big picture of all this stuff is that these are all things we can learn about these days. Who knows what Elizabeth Warren was told by her family and how that came about? Family histories are often all wrapped up in a bunch of myth, and the stories we're told by parents and/or grandparents can get fanciful.

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Re: emails: *groan* That's awful, Gary.

I said something like that when I mentioned Loretta Lynn and her twin daughters in my previous post.

message 39: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 40: by Gary (last edited Jul 13, 2018 11:13PM) (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Here's a good one:

message 41: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 42: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments This one is pretty brilliant:

message 43: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Favorite so far:

message 44: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments Hahaha, this one I did get.

I didn't get the previous one, but after searching online for "reek" something regarding Game of Thrones came up and since I haven't read the books (planning to) and haven't watched the TV show (not sure I'm planning to) I didn't read any further.

But LOL, this Ofputin made my day 🤣

message 45: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I've read the books, but I stopped watching GoT a while back, shortly after they got into some of that Theon/Reek stuff I think. But it still works as a metaphor for the Trump/Reek in the White House....

I like a good pun, though, so here's a nice, crisp one:

message 46: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I've always been more of a Jeopardy guy myself:

message 47: by Gary (last edited Jul 19, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Ah, poetry....

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Gary wrote: "I've read the books, but I stopped watching GoT a while back, shortly after they got into some of that Theon/Reek stuff I think. But it still works as a metaphor for the Trump/Reek in the White Hou..."

THAT one I love!

message 49: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments

message 50: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments This one's clever on a couple of levels:

« previous 1 3 4