Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Looking for Alaska
This topic is about Looking for Alaska
BLIND DATE: ARCHIVED > ✓ Pair 7: Jacquelyn & Olivia (August 2014)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (last edited Jul 24, 2014 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Blind Date Challenge: Jacquelyn & Olivia

Task: A book written in first person

message 2: by Gisbelle (last edited Aug 25, 2014 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Badges

photo task_zps0d355b52.jpgdescription

message 3: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Hey, Olivia! So we have to decide on a number between 1 and 100! Any suggestions? :)

Olivia Gray How about 33?

message 5: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Sure!

Our number is 33! :)

Olivia Gray What is the number for?

message 7: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I think whatever number we pick is a certain task. We just don't know what task it is yet. :)

Olivia Gray Oh cool! This is so exciting!!!

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Task added.

message 10: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments So our task is to read a book written in first person! I think this is a very doable task, do you want to accept? :)

Olivia Gray Yes!

message 12: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Awesome! So what are your favorite genres? We need to read the same book so we both have to be interested in it.

Olivia Gray I am willing to read from any genre, always wanting to expand my interests. Anything you have been dying to read lately?

Olivia Gray We could do one of John Green's books, like Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns?

message 15: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments That's great!

I am watching a TV show right now but I will look and see what books I could read. I just have to make sure that they are first person point of view.

Do you have any ideas on what you would like to read that you know are 1st person POV?

message 16: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Olivia wrote: "We could do one of John Green's books, like Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns?"

I would be interested in reading Looking for Alaska! :) Any other suggestions or do you just want to go with that one?

Olivia Gray Looking for Alaska works for me! :)

So do we just read the book and then discuss it on this thread? I have never done this before and don't know all the specifics.

message 18: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yes, we read the book and discuss it here! :) This is actually the first time we are having this challenge in our group so we are all new to this. :)

I just ordered the book from the library and should get it by Monday. When could you get it by?

Olivia Gray I can get it by Monday as well. Are we going to split it up and have a certain section to read and discuss each week or just read the whole book and then discuss?

message 20: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments We can do whatever! We can maybe read 5 chapters, then post spoilers, and then just keep reading and then have a big overall discussion when we both finish!

Olivia Gray Sounds good to me!! I cant wait till Monday to start reading!!

message 22: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments And that way we can just read at our own pace! :)

I'm so excited!

message 23: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Actually, this is an August challenge so I think we have to wait until August to start.

Olivia Gray Oh.....okay then. I guess I got a little over excited and forgot that part. LOL I will wait till August 1st then.

message 25: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments haha! Me too! :) I will too then!

message 26: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments You're sure it is first person, right? :)

Olivia Gray It is in first person past tense point of view. That works right?

message 28: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yes! As long as it is some sort of first person we are good to go. :)

Olivia Gray Awesome!!

message 30: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments :D

Olivia Gray You have your book and ready to start now that it is August? :)

message 32: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Well my book came into the library and then when I went to go pick it up they couldn't find it. -.-

I believe it is back in now but I won't be able to get it until Monday.

Olivia Gray That's okay. I wont start till you get your book. Let me know once you do :)

message 34: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Thank you! Hopefully I will get it on Monday and then we can start reading!

Olivia Gray Have you gotten your book yet?

message 36: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Nope. :( I will hopefully be getting it today though!!

message 37: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Got it from the library just now. :) Do you want to start tomorrow and read at our own pace and then come back an post spoilers every 5 chapters or so?

Olivia Gray Sure :) that works for me.

message 39: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Okay. :) Sorry for how long it took to get my book!

Olivia Gray No worries :)

Olivia Gray Hey :) How far have you gotten in the book? I am about half way. Just started the After section. What are your thoughts so far? I was pretty shocked, not what I was expecting to happen at all!!

Olivia Gray I finished my book!! Are you close to finishing? I don't want to give anything away.

message 43: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Wow, okay! Did you like it?

Unfortunately, I haven't started yet but I will start very soon!! :D It is not too long so it shouldn't take me too long to read.

I will let you know when I start. Sorry! :(

Olivia Gray Yes, I really liked it! It was very interesting and I felt that it ended very well. It really summed up the whole book like it should.

message 45: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Great! Did you rate it and write a review?

Olivia Gray I rated it but didn't write a review. I will do that now.

message 47: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Well, I finished.

I didn't like it at all.... unfortunately. 1.5 stars from me.

I thought that the characters were very annoying and just not the type of characters I like. I also thought that the pacing was off and I had to force myself to read, ya know?

I did think Alaska was annoying and everything but I did like seeing the mystery of her death unfold. It kind of picked up from there. I think there was so much hype surrounding this book and I was so ready for something amazing and I didn't think it was so it was really disappointing for me.

Another thing I did like however is Mile's quirk: how he knows so many people's last words. I found them interesting!

Olivia Gray I am sorry you didn't like it. It wasn't one of my all time favorite books, but I enjoyed reading it. I also like Mile's quirk about last words. It is crazy to think that something random you might say could be your last words. Not everyone's dying words are profound. It is really representing how not everyone gets closure or the time to say what you want to say to the ones you are leaving. Sometimes life is just ripped away from us, like Alaska. And we, the people left behind, have to figure out how to be okay with that.

message 49: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments That's okay. :) I totally agree with you though. I loved the message but just didn't like the way that message/idea was fleshed out.