Space Opera Fans discussion

Planetfall Origins
This topic is about Planetfall Origins
BOTM INDIE > April 2018 INDIE Planetfall Origins by CG Quick

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2341 comments Mod
The April 2018 INDIE pick is Planetfall Origins by Christopher George Quick Planetfall Origins by Christopher George Quick. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

Description:
Guaranteed to please the military Sci-Fi lover in you. If Battlestar Gallactica made love to Starship Troopers and had an illegitimate child... and that child was raised by the crew of Firefly, you would only begin to have Planetfall. This is the answer for your Sci-Fi void. Follow Shepard through his enlistment in the Alliance's Mining Corp. You only have to do ten years in the Corp instead of the usual twenty to get retirement, but of course that assumes you can survive it. Mining deployments are brutal, and the hostile xenoforms are always hell-bent on killing you. Oh yeah, and the tentative peace that is holding humanity together seems to be fraying at the seams and its impossible to know who to trust. So if you're ready to sign your life away, this book is ready to take you on your first tour of duty. --Christopher George Quick Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom II, Operation New Dawn, 82nd Airborne, Ranger.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan | 87 comments Eh, I have to say I was a bit disappointed (ended up rating it 2 stars).

The beginning starts out a bit formulaic. Young man joins militaristic organization to ensure future in an authoritarian dystopia.

The idea that the "military" in this case is actually militant miners, hell bent on getting resources for their alien overlords is unique, and I enjoyed the concept. It definitely seems like it makes sense; on earth we have intense competition for resources, who is to say that if our civilization got sufficiently advanced we wouldn't turn the focus of our ever increasing appetite for raw materials spaceward? Certainly a possibility if we were driven by an alien race of overlords.

Where I think the book fell flat though was about the middle.

The first problem I have is they spend too much time as captives. During this time they're not really doing anything, but we're waiting for the shoe to drop. Then when the alliance finally shows up, we find out they were maybe evil, and our boy is now a Frontiersman!

The second is that, the whole time, we just get surprise after surprise. Wow! Doc is an android! And he's got orders to kill them all! Wow! Yarbourgh is actually a salty old soldier! Wow, we've captured celestials and they're genetically engineered! Wow, we have a cloned finger to get us off the station!

And I suppose I shouldn't fault a Science Fiction story too much about it's believability, but I feel like there was just too much that was jarring in the way the book was written. Too many surprises, and too little resolution.

The ending also threw me. We've got the tension building and building and suddenly the solution is that we're now "white" instead of "black."

The end, cut to sequel!

Now with that said, I did enjoy a lot of the dialogue, which I think was one of the strong points of the book (and is what kept me reading despite the monotony of life as a POW). Although I see some of the reviews on the books criticized the language used (notably the fact that every word out of everyones mouth was the F bomb), that is kind of how military guys talk, so I can't fault it.

Overall? Not the best book. But I suppose it wasn't the worst world to get lost in for a few days.

SciFiDo_or_Die | 3 comments I really liked it. Like a lot, a lot. World building was strong IMO, and character building, which seems to be the consensus as the strong points for the book.

It is an Indie novel so I suspect the author has never written a book so there's that, and I suspect it goes for the cliff-hanger ending because yes, the author is probably testing the waters to see if ppl even like his style.

I liked the themes of ever-evolving loyalties that illuminate that nothing really has a face value and boy if that isn't timely and true in the age of late capitalism and spurious half-baked nationalism. Maybe that was one of the reason I liked the book so much, it felt relatable.

It seems a polarizing book meaning you are either in love or not. 5 stars or 2 stars just depending on your personality

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan | 87 comments You know you bring up a good point about it being the authors first book.

I would say as a first novel it is definitely a five stars, and that probably explains some of the holes in the story I found a bit annoying -- hopefully in a couple of novels the author will be producing some great stuff, and I'd definitely be interested in seeing what else he can produce. He's already got the dialogue down and the character building, he just needs to get the thing to flow a bit better.

With that said, I suppose there is some question of what leeway do we owe an author for their first book? (Or, conversely, do we hold established authors to a higher standard?)

I would say that, as time is precious and there are more great books to read than time, we have an obligation in our reviews to be honest. If I rate this book as being a bit mediocre compared to books I've read, I need to be honest about that because I don't want people reading a mediocre book thinking it's amazing. That would be dishonest on my part.

On the other hand, I think it's telling to tell about an author's potential that his first novel comes in above a number of well known authors works in my ranking. I rated it 2 stars (and would have given it 2.5 if goodreads let me), which is much higher than some well known authors novels I've rated as 1 star (and would have given 0 stars had goodreads let me).

Thoughts?

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Apr 02, 2018 03:06PM) (new)

My own personal rule of thumb ignores indie vs experienced author completely.
3 star : readable. Sequels might be worth trying the free sample. Likely not worth rereading unless it’s been a few years or I’m in a strange mood.
4 star: worth rereading every couple of years. Definitely try the free sample of any sequel.
5 star: oh wow..... I’ll probably reread this one in less than a year. Preorder any sequels.

Anything lower I generally give up on, so I mark them as such and don’t rate at all.

message 6: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 281 comments Teresa, I mostly agree with your rating method. I am very frustrated when I get a book based on many 5 star reviews and find it only mediocre filled with typos and plot holes. I will, however, give 1 or 2 stars if the book truly warrants it.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I read enough of the free preview to tell this isn’t likely to be a book I’d enjoy. It just wasn’t grabbing me, and in general I don’t like dystopias.

SciFiDo_or_Die | 3 comments Ah yeah, you have to have some affinity for dystopias. I mean it isn't heavily dystopian, its more anti-establishment, sort of in the vein of Firefly (Which I bleeping believe, the government in that story was also called the "Alliance."

I think it was written tongue-in-cheek for a lot of it, so if you take it with total seriousness, the book seems odd, if you let it be campy and quirky, it reads well.

this review I think is the middle ground between all of the previous opinions:

"This is a quirky story. Told from a single POV of an average guy just trying to do his time and get out. Most of the action happens around him and to him - he doesn't really make choices that change things.

The voice is very interesting. There are some internal monologues that are very funny, and some of the dialog is wacky too. I enjoyed the words.

But otherwise, it's just a shaggy dog story, wandering around the universe, stumbling over hints and clues. It's all an overlong prelude to the real story, which is pending. I might read it out of curiosity."

message 9: by Laz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) | 207 comments Flattery!

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan | 87 comments Audrey wrote: "Teresa, I mostly agree with your rating method. I am very frustrated when I get a book based on many 5 star reviews and find it only mediocre filled with typos and plot holes. I will, however, give..."

And this is exactly why I didn't give the book 5 stars because it was a new author!

If I'm reading a reviews I want an honest review.

I've gotten a little annoyed by a few books I found, all indies, all 5 star reviews, and then I find out they are terrible.

Usually looking into the details it's clear there aren't that many reviewers so I've learned to stay clear of anything not heavily reviewed.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan | 87 comments I don't really think this is a dystopia.

Typically when I hear that word I think of a society really dysfunctional. Like a post apocalyptic world.

The world that Planetfall builds is no less dysfunctional than our own. Although it's certainly not a utopia :D

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan | 87 comments Have you ever been in the military or talked with someone who has been?

It's definitely a love - hate thing.

If complaining about military service is any indication of living in a dystopia, it would seem we currently are living in one. :D

Renata Riva I found this book fun to read. I agree that the first part was more interesting and enjoyalble. The second part, when the group of miners was dealing with the rebels, was less creative and a bit more predictable. But the book was entertaining enough.

message 14: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Thanks for the tip!