Space Opera Fans discussion

Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
This topic is about Conflict of Honors
BOTM READER > April 2018 READER Conflict of Honors by Lee & Miller

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Carrigan | 2340 comments Mod
The April 2018 READER Pick is Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8) by Sharon Lee Conflict of Honors by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

Official description:
Sixteen-year-old Priscilla Delacroix was declared legally dead by her mother, High Priestess of the Goddess. Banished to survive on her own, Priscilla has roamed the galaxy for ten years as an outcast—to become a woman of extraordinary skill. . . .

An experienced officer assigned to the Liaden vessel Daxflan, she's been abandoned yet again. Betrayed by her captain and shipmates, she's left to fend for herself on a distant planet. But Priscilla is not alone. Starship captain Shan yos'Galen is about to join Priscilla's crusade for revenge. He has his own score to settle with the enemy. But confronting the sinister crew will be far easier—and safer—than confronting the demons of Priscilla's own mysterious past.

NOTE: This book is currently in print in the omnibus The Dragon Variation (Liaden Universe, #5-6,8) by Sharon Lee The Dragon Variation. Don’t be put off by the #8 label; this book was the second published in the Liaden Universe, and chronologically comes a few years before the first one published. In other words. It is a good entry point.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Mar 24, 2018 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have reread this one many times. Please don’t be put off by the first few pages which sound like a straight up fantasy story. I’ll be sharing some of my favorite quotes in April, after I decide whether they need spoiler tags around them or not.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

One of my favorite quotes:
"Gordy tells me you've taught him to be a tree," he commented. "I don't say it's a bad idea, Priscilla. I only wonder how his mother will react if I deliver him into her arms all green and leafy."

message 4: by Chad (last edited Mar 25, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments The whole Liaden series is just fantastic, always leaves me with a warm glow. For new readers to the series there are several different reccomended reading order lists which can be daunting.

From the authors: https://sharonleewriter.com/correct-r...

Novels that may be read with no prior reading in the Universe:

Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Local Custom, Scout’s Progress, Balance of Trade, Fledgling, Crystal Soldier, Necessity’s Child, Dragon in Exile, Alliance of Equals

Novels that are direct sequels:

Agent of Change, Carpe Diem, Plan B, I Dare, Dragon in Exile

Fledgling, Saltation, Ghost Ship, Dragon Ship, The Gathering Edge

Crystal Soldier, Crystal Dragon

Balance of Trade, Trade Secret

Novels that may benefit from being read in a particular order:

Carpe Diem may also benefit from reader familiarity with Conflict of Honors

Mouse and Dragon may be more accessible to those who have previously read Scout’s Progress.

Dragon in Exile may be more accessible to those who have previously read the Agent of Change Sequence (Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Carpe Diem, Plan B, I Dare)

The Gathering Edge may make more sense to those who have followed Theo Waitley through Fledgling, Saltation, Ghost Ship, and Dragon Ship

The order in which the books were written:

Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Carpe Diem, Plan B, Local Custom, Scout’s Progress, I Dare, Balance of Trade, Crystal Soldier, Crystal Dragon, Fledgling, Saltation, Mouse and Dragon, Ghost Ship, Dragon Ship, Necessity’s Child, Trade Secret, Dragon in Exile, Alliance of Equals, The Gathering Edge, Neogenesis

Internal Chronology:

Crystal Soldier, Crystal Dragon, Balance of Trade, Trade Secret, Local Custom, Scout’s Progress, Mouse and Dragon, Conflict of Honors, Agent of Change, Carpe Diem, Plan B, Fledgling, I Dare, Saltation, Ghost Ship, Necessity’s Child*, Dragon Ship*, Dragon in Exile*, The Gathering Edge*, Alliance of Equals*, Neogenesis*

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Another good quote. Shan does blather so well.:

"Sorry, Captain. I was indulging in vulgar self-congratulation." "Well, that's encouraging," he said, grinning back. "I was prepared to believe you had no faults at all. But now that you admit to gloating, I'm sure we'll get along very well together.

message 6: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 281 comments I am glad we are reading this book next. I have been wanting to re-read it. Mine is in the omnibus Partners In Necessity

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Another good one that isn’t a spoiler:
"Makes you stop and wonder, doesn't it? How could she have become an ambassador? Do you think she might have assassinated someone?" "There's a chance, if she did." The smile was there, finally; nor did she take her hand from his. "Maybe someone will assassinate her.”

Eric | 17 comments I was underwhelmed by this book. I'm not entirely sure why, but it just didn't do it for me. This was my introduction to the Liaden universe, and while I want to return to it at some point, it most likely won't be for a while.

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

My memories of the book said it was about 3 star, but I thoroughly enjoyed my reread a few weeks ago. It’s strange how tastes change. There are lots of books that I loved rereading years ago that I can’t get into now at all.

message 10: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments Eric wrote: "I was underwhelmed by this book. I'm not entirely sure why, but it just didn't do it for me. This was my introduction to the Liaden universe, and while I want to return to it at some point, it most..."

I do think Agent of Change is a lot better starting point.

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
I remember being somewhat underwhelmed the first time I read this quite a few years ago. So much so that I didn't read any more Liaden books after. But last year I decided to jump into the Universe again and I enjoyed this much better. I don't know what changed; probably me.

message 12: by Eric (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric | 17 comments Chad, that's where I was going to start, but I picked up Conflict of Honors first. Coincidentally, I was halfway through when it was picked, so I felt I had more reason to finish it. Glad I did, it's not a bad book at all, just didn't connect with me.

message 13: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 281 comments If I remember correctly, Conflict of Honors was one of the first Liaden Universe books I read a whole lot of years ago. I wasn't sure at first what was going on, but whatever it was - I liked it. I just started my re-read. It's making much more sense this time.

message 14: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 281 comments There weren't too many books in this series that I remember featured Shan and Priscilla. This book, Alliance of Equals, and a few short stories. Any others?

message 15: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Apr 06, 2018 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13) by Sharon Lee I Dare or was it Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11) by Sharon Lee Plan B? Shan and Priscilla aren’t the primary POV but they are definitely included. More likely it was Plan B. The one where the Yxtrang attack. Damn it’s hard to avoid spoilers...... where Priscilla takes over as captain of the Passage.

They have small parts in Carpe Diem too.

message 16: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 281 comments Teresa wrote: "I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13) by Sharon Lee I Dare or was it Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11) by Sharon Lee Plan B? Shan and Priscilla aren’t the primary POV but they are definitely included. More likely it..."

I forgot about Plan B. I think you are right.

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
I finished this a few days ago, for the third time. I enjoyed it, more I think than the last time I read it, but it felt unfinished. I remember that there was more to the story of their relationship, specifically the development of their bond, but I couldn't remember what book it was in. Is that Plan B?

message 18: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carpe Diem has some small parts about them, including their bond. Plan B and I Dare together have quite a bit about them and their bond is clearly very strong by the end of those books. It’s hard to tell whether it was Plan B or I Dare with the crucial scenes, because my copy is Korval's Game which is an omnibus including both.