BWGPL Community of Readers discussion

Cookbooks > Cookbooks are more than recipe collections...

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 23 comments Mod
People tell me that nobody needs cookbooks anymore. You can find every recipe you want on-line. If this is true than why are cookbooks still so popular?

Simply put, a cookbook is more than just a collection of recipes.

Articles I have read indicate that people use on-line sources if they are trying to figure out how to make something tonight for dinner, but that people like to use cookbooks to plan meals and menus. Anecdotally, cooks that I have spoken to echo that sentiment.

Cookbooks reflect the time and place they were written. They represent a unique look at the social history of a period. Cookbooks connect us to people and places and teach us about history, culture, politics, weather, families and society.

Think about the ingredients and dishes found in cookbooks from the 1950s and 1960s. Does anyone even make aspic anymore? How often do you purchase cans of mandarin oranges to make that yummy marshmallow salad that was once ubiquitous at church potlucks?

Current cookbooks demonstrate our fascination with celebrity culture with the many books by celebrity chefs. It exposes how we view health through our obsession with superfoods and fad diets and reflects our society with the inclusion of international ingredients and cuisine in all manner of cookbooks.

Cookbooks allow us to travel to places far from us both in time and geography. We can learn about the past and we can learn about food and culture from around the world. Browsing cookbooks allow us to remember meals at specific restaurants, experience farmers markets on far away shores, and imagine what everyday life was like a hundred years ago. They can remind you of places you have been, meals you have eaten, or people you have known. They can be inspirational and instructional and mouthwatering.

Or they can help you find your next favourite recipe.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 19 comments Mod
Which cookbook (or cookbooks) do you use the most?