BWGPL Community of Readers discussion

Cookbooks > Cookbooks

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 23 comments Mod
Hey all,

I have added a new folder - cookbooks. I like cookbooks, food and cooking. I collect, select and browse cookbooks. I facilitate a cookbook club. So, here is where I will add some cookbook related posts. Thank you for indulging my obsession.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 20 comments Mod
Hi Wendy,

With the advent of the internet, I didn't check out cookbooks until recently.

I checked out The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook and I really liked the manner that the recipes were written out. I used this book a lot actually. What I really like was how the writer broke down the recipes exactly, including steps that are often forgotten about such as for best results when approaching this meal it's best that everything is chilled, etc. It did make a difference to the way the recipes came out.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 23 comments Mod
Hi Stephanie,

Yea, there is a difference, especially with the book you mentioned - it is from America’s Test Kitchen and they really explain their recipes and how they differ from other takes on a recipe, and they are really well tested. So the same principles hold true for cooking and recipes on the internet as for other information. You have to look at the source - some bloggers or websites are more reliable and test their recipes well, others are more iffy. Books and publishers with reputations to maintain are often quite good. Recently there were issues with the conversions of some of the recipes in Ottolenghi’s book Sweet from the British system using weights and the more conventional North American volume measurements. The mistakes were noted in the press and purchasers of the book could send in proof of purchase and receive a corrected version of the book (they even sent along a bonus wooden spoon).

I use cookbooks and like to see what is new on food blog sites, but I try to get most of my internet recipes from bloggers and sites that I am familiar with. I have made a couple of things that looked so cool in the photos and sounded really tasty and did not live up to my expectations (failed spectacularly). But I will still try new things and fail sometimes and keep browsing both cookbooks and the internet.