What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

How to Live Forever
This topic is about How to Live Forever
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's book about a boy who can't grow old? [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Mar 23, 2018 12:15PM) (new)

Kristen | 3 comments I am looking for an illustrated children's book. The main character travels to some kind of different world or dimension, a very surreal looking place. The illustrations, from what I recall, remind me a lot of the style of Graeme Base. In fact when I started searching for this book I thought it might be a Graeme Base book, although there aren't really any animals in it. Anyway, the main character eventually reaches a boy who is sitting on a chair on top of a lot of old toys or junk. The boy cannot grow up or grow old, but he is left all alone and sad. He is not happy. The boy is a grayish color too, I think. That's really all I remember! I just remember the main character having to go through a lot of strange surreal scenes, maybe with some bookshelves and crawling and climbing weird stuff, before they finally found the boy.

I read this book back in the late '90s, early 2000s, as a child.

Can anyone help me?

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
The picture book How To Live Forever (1995) by Colin Thompson?
"...a realm of boundless imagination, a library where, after hours, the shelves come to life. Rows of books become rows of townhouses with cozily lit windows, and walkways through the stacks become canals full of bustling traffic. The story centers on Peter, whose home is a cookbook, and who is searching high and low for a missing tome entitled "How to Live Forever." He eventually finds it, of course, but after considering the advice of an odd creature called the Ancient Child, decides not to read it. The plot is almost beside the point?what fascinates is the quirky, highly precise world Thompson has created. His art is exquisitely detailed..."

Kristen, is this a short picture book or a chapter book with a few illustrations?

message 3: by Gloriamarie (new)

Gloriamarie | 10 comments Tuck Everlasting?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt - Gloriamarie's suggestion

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 3 comments yes Kris that's the one!!!! thanks to everyone for helping :)

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 3 comments it was "How to Live Forever" by Colin Thompsin

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Which one Kristen--How to Live Forever or Tuck Everlasting?