The Sword and Laser discussion

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Wind
2014 Reads > notw: Quothe the Kvothe

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jack (wineontheveldt) This book is filled with fantastic lines, so I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to our favorite quotes. These can be description, dialogue, whatever. And, of course, quotes from our favorite red haired musician are especially welcome.

Since this is a re-read for a lot of us, I'm thinking there are going to be quite a few lines that stick out to us even more, but remember spoiler warnings (if applicable) for the first timers.

Just read this line:

"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I've never been on the best of terms with God."

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I like the idea of this thread but it's rather early to start next months discussions, No?

terpkristin | 4102 comments Eh, the book's been announced and it's long, so I think a slightly early jump isn't the worst thing. Plus, it's a re-read fr a lot of us.

I can't wait to re-read. Reading that quite above made me smile, remembering the context.

Skip | 517 comments Shockingly, I had a soundtrack running through my head for the whole book. [/sarcasm]

My quote is from Chapter 60: "Metal rusts, I thought, music lasts forever."

To which I though: "Hey hey, my my, Rock and Roll can never die."

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6668 comments Mod
Micah wrote: "I like the idea of this thread but it's rather early to start next months discussions, No?"

The real key is, we're using the book prefixes in this thread! :P

Jack (wineontheveldt) Like Kristin said, I didn't see any harm in getting a jump start on such a monstrous tome, especially since Dawn was essentially over with the new ep of S&L. I apologize if I overstepped.

Anywho. This one made me laugh.

"Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite."

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Jack wrote: "Like Kristin said, I didn't see any harm in getting a jump start on such a monstrous tome, especially since Dawn was essentially over with the new ep of S&L. I apologize if I overstepped."

Nah man you're perfectly fine. It was just my analretentiteveness ( disclaimer: I have no idea if that is a real word or not) popping out. I shouldn't have even posted. It didn't contribute anything to the conversation, so I'm sorry. No apologies needed on your part.

This book has some of the best lines in it too so I really look forward to seeing what people find funny or interesting in this thread.

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments “Congratulations. That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Ever.”

“You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me.”

“You do not know the first note of the music that moves me.”

“I'm spouting too much sense for you to understand”

terpkristin | 4102 comments 3 of those last 4 I wish I could say to some of my coworkers, alas that would not be good for my long term career prospects. ;)

Orencio (aladon) | 2 comments "Three ways I own you, That makes you wholly mine. An instrument of my desire. You will do as I say."

When Bast said this to Chronicler it made me re-assess his character's place in the story. Dark and terrible Fae!

Israel | 80 comments Some of my favorites:

"You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way."

"It's like he knows he's better than you but doesn't look down on you for it because he knows it's not your fault."

"I should have been bolder and kissed her at the end. I should have been more cautious. I had talked too much. I had said too little."

message 12: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack (wineontheveldt) "You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.Too much truth confuses the facts. Too much honesty make you sound insincere."

Paolo Hah, I came here to post a quote as I was reading and discovered that the quote was in the opening post of the thread :)) Great line.

message 14: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack (wineontheveldt) I don't see the harm in reposting! Maybe the most popular lines can get honorable mentions on the cast or something. Here's one I think deserves a repost:

"I should have been bolder and kissed her at the end. I should have been more cautious. I had talked too much. I had said too little."

And I just read this one:

"We Ruh are travelers. Our lives are composed of meetings and partings, with brief, bright acquaintances in between."

What really stands out to me about this quote is that it really epitomizes the book as a whole and it has helped me come to terms with my previous misgivings about the book. The story is the way it is because Kvothe is the way he is.

Paolo Jack wrote:

"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I've never been on the best of terms with God."

Well then +1 to this one!

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments my favourite so far is "it was a silence of three parts" mainly because it sounds like the start of a cocktail recipe. 3 parts silence, 2 parts mirth, add a dash of mystery and you have yourself a denna depthcharge cocktail.

Paolo Not exactly as quaint as a quote, but I had a good laugh at the part where Trip was working the door:

"Halfpenny a head. That's right. Anyone without a head gets in free."

"Halfpenny a head. Though by the rosy glow in your lady's cheeks I should be charging you for a head and a half."

"That's right, halfpenny. Yes sir, empty head still pays full price."

omg, LOL :))

message 18: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack (wineontheveldt) I was actually exposed to Name of the Wind when my creative writing teach back in college brought it in to read us the prologue. To this day, I think the prologue is maybe the best written introduction I've ever read.

message 19: by Dustin (last edited Aug 04, 2014 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments “I was wondering, Auri. Would you mind showing me the Underthing?”

Auri looked away, suddenly shy. “Kvothe, I thought you were a gentleman,” she said, tugging self-consciously at her ragged shirt. “Imagine, asking to see a girl’s underthing.” She looked down, her hair hiding her face.

“Auri,” I asked slowly, “are you joking with me?”

She looked up and grinned. “Yes I am,” she said proudly. “Isn’t it wonderful?”

================================

“If I find out that Whin has been sedated or restrained I’ll ride you naked through the streets of Imre like a little pink pony.”

===============================

“THEY’RE IN ME! THEY’RE IN ME! THEY’RE IN ME!”
“Trigonometry and diagrammed logic don’t do this.”

Jules | 7 comments "The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind."

message 21: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack (wineontheveldt) "Excellence is excellence's only companion."

"Her lips were always red, morning and night. As if minutes before you saw her, she had been eating sweet berries, or drinking heart's blood."

"'Ye Gods,' Elodin sighed, disgusted. 'A bootlicker too. You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me.'"

"Reputation is like a sort of armor, or a weapon you can brandish if need be."

Allison Brown (alliekat893) "Just pity him, my boy. Tomorrow we’ll be on our way, but he’ll have to keep his own disagreeable company until the day he dies.”

" A poet is a musician who can’t sing. Words have to find a man’s mind before they can touch his heart, and some men’s minds are woeful small targets."

‘Small deeds for small men,’ I always say. I imagine the trouble is in finding the job small enough for men such as yourselves.

She wrinkled her nose. “Bitter.”
“That’s how you know it’s real medicine,” I said. “If it tasted good it would be candy.”
“Isn’t that the way of the world?” she said. “We want the sweet things, but we need the unpleasant ones."

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Allison wrote: ""Just pity him, my boy. Tomorrow we’ll be on our way, but he’ll have to keep his own disagreeable company until the day he dies.”

" A poet is a musician who can’t sing. Words have to find a man’s ..."

Allison that last section is awesome.

message 24: by Atle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Atle Skjæveland | 1 comments "We stare at a fire because it flickers, because it glows. The light is what catches our eyes, but what makes a man lean close to a fire has nothing to do with its bright shape. What draws you to a fire is the warmth you feel when you come near."

I love that description of attraction