Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archer's Voice
This topic is about Archer's Voice
Archive (Buddy Reads) > April Buddy Read - Archer's Voice (Chiara, KarenH)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments April Buddy Read

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Hey Chiara, I'm looking forward to our buddy read! If you have a shelf I can take a look at to see if anything jumps out at me, just let me know. Here's mine: cant-wait-to-read, so if you want to take a look at that and do the same, we can compare notes and hopefully come up with something we'll both love!

Chiara | 615 comments Hi KarenH!!
My shelf usually is 2018-reading-challenges but I've checked and there's nothing we have in common!
The only books that my TBR list has in common with your cant-wait-to-read are:
- Getting Schooled (which unfortunately won't be out until June!)
- Wanderlust
- The Cad and the Co-Ed
- Fight with Me

The Cad and the Co-ed is the 3rd book of the series Rugby but I haven't read the first 2 books so if it's a standalone it's ok but if it's not, then it's a no for me!
Fight with Me shouldn't be a problem because, even if it's the second book on the series With Me in Seattle, it would be a stand-alone.
So probably the most suitable options are Wanderlust by Lauren Blakely or Fight with Me (With Me in Seattle, #2) by Kristen Proby
What do you say?

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Hi Chiara!

We have a lot of stuff in common (or similar), but we're in different places in most of the series! Of the ones you mentioned, Fight with Me wasn't supposed to be on that shelf anymore since I need to finish it before the end of this month for the M&G challenge. I thought I'd finished updating that shelf for the April PIFM, but forgot to take off the ones I plan on finishing in the next week, so thanks for picking that one even if it doesn't work for us! Wanderlust would be fine, but I also found a couple on your shelf that I'd be happy to read (or rather listen to - I do a lot more listening than reading). Either Sins of Sevin or Archer's Voice would be fine with me. So we have:

Wanderlust by Lauren Blakely Sins of Sevin by Penelope Ward Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan

Do any of those jump out at you? I'm happy with any of the three.

message 5: by Chiara (last edited Mar 24, 2018 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 615 comments All 3 options seems very appealing..the choice is not easy!!!

Lauren Blakely usually writes funny sexy light-hearted stories and Wanderlust by Lauren Blakely seems to be following this trend as well.
Sins of Sevin by Penelope Ward seems a forbidden love story and Penelope Ward is one of my favorite authors!
Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan seems the most emotional story of the three. Mia Sheridan is a new to me author but quite a few people have been suggesting me this book lately saying how amazing it is!

So..we need to decide if we want a light and sexy read, a forbidden romance or an emotional one! I'd probably go with Archer's Voice but if you prefer one of the other 2 options I'm totally fine with it!

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Mia Sheridan is an almost new to me author, too...I just read my first book by her last month and really liked it. Why don't we go with Archer's Voice rather than one of the authors that we're both much more familiar with?

Chiara | 615 comments Ok perfect! Archer's Voice it is! :)

message 8: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Great! Do you have any particular preference for when we get started?

Chiara | 615 comments No we can start whenever you want!
Do you prefer to discuss the book chapter by chapter (or every few chapters) or once we’ve both finished reading it?

message 10: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments That's a hard question...ideally I'd like to discuss as we go, maybe every few chapters, but when I'm listening to an audiobook I tend to lose track of where I am and not stop when I'm supposed to. Do you have a preference? If you'd rather chat as we go I'll make an effort to restrain myself!

I can start anytime, too. Do you want to go ahead and jump into it right away? Well, after the first of the month, of course!

Chiara | 615 comments Both options work for me..It all depends if we read/listen at a similar pace or not. My favourite option is usually to discuss it as we go. But we can discuss it at the end if it’s better for you! And if something is worth mentioning while I read, then I can post it mentioning the chapter and hiding it with a spoiler alert if it’s ok for you!

Chiara | 615 comments Yes we can totally start at the beginning of the month!

message 13: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Ok, sounds good. We'll save the main discussion for after we're done, but if something comes up that we especially want to remember to discuss, chapter # and spoiler tags are great...and we can discuss whenever we're both beyond that point.

Chiara | 615 comments Ok perfect!

message 15: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Yay! Can't wait to get started! =)

Chiara | 615 comments Me too!!!

message 17: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Wow, you're either up REALLY early or REALLY late! =P

Chiara | 615 comments Up early! It’s 5.30 here in Italy!
Where do you live?

message 19: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 24, 2018 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments I'm in the US...Washington state, so on the west coast. 8:30 PM here right now. I actually thought it was a little earlier there - saw Italy on your profile and thought the difference was a little less.

Chiara | 615 comments I’m GMT+1 while you should be GMT-7 so I should be 8 hours ahead of you but tonight the time has changed here in Italy so, instead of being 4,30 it’s 5,30!

Chiara | 615 comments I think I said an incorrect thing! I’ve googled it and Italy is always 9 hours ahead of your part of the US!

message 22: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Well, almost always...we don't do the time change the same weekend you do (we did it a couple of weeks ago), so there is a short time that it's different. And I just figured out I was reading the time converter wrong, so everything makes more sense now that I'm looking at it correctly!

Chiara | 615 comments :D

message 24: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Hey Chiara...will it be a problem for you if I/we don't start the book until about the middle of next week? I'm having some challenge conflicts, and it would be easier to get everything done the way I want if I hold off on this one for a few days. If it's an issue for you I can rearrange things and start on the 1st, it just won't come together quite as seamlessly as the other way. Just let me know what you want to do! =)

Chiara | 615 comments No problem at all Karen..we can start whenever you want! I’m just gonna adjust my own schedule a bit to postpone our book for a few days!
Take your time with your other challenges and let me know when you’re ready to start! :)

message 26: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Thanks, Chiara! Why don't we just plan on starting mid-week...say Wednesday? That will give me plenty of time to get my other book done. I hope I'm not messing your schedule up too much!

Chiara | 615 comments Yeah, sure, Wednesday is perfect for me! :)

Chiara | 615 comments It’s late afternoon here in Italy and I’m about to start reading our book! :)

message 29: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments It's early-mid morning here (depending on your perspective...9:00 AM) and I started almost an hour ago, so probably right about the same time as you! =P

Chiara | 615 comments Great!
I didn’t read much but so far I’m really enjoying it!

message 31: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Well, so much for discussing every few chapters. =P I had a day of lots of housework today so listened pretty much all day. Not quite done yet but getting close, and LOVING IT!!! So I'll just let you comment whenever you feel the need, and I'll respond based on where you are. Sorry I couldn't restrain myself!

Chiara | 615 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Well, so much for discussing every few chapters. =P I had a day of lots of housework today so listened pretty much all day. Not quite done yet but getting close, and LOVING IT!!! So I'll just let y..."

Sorry Karen! I had a busy evening yesterday so I didn’t read much..that’s why I haven’t posted any comments so far! Today I should be able to read more and hopefully finish it as well! I’ll post comments as I go :)
Have a goodnight (or good morning in case you read this in the morning!)

Chiara | 615 comments Anyway, yesterday I managed to read only the first 3 chapters and, as I said before, so far I'm really liking it!
I love Pelion and its lake and sometimes I think I'd like to escape in a similar place! And I'm really liking the friendly neighbor and the other people that live there.
The first encounter between Bree and Archer was quite interesting and it's already pretty obvious that both are trying to deal with past traumatic experiences and carry a lot of baggage.

It's 9AM here and I'm gonna start chapter 4. I'm going to work in a few hours but I should be able to read quite a bit before that!

Chiara | 615 comments I’m on chapter 12 and Bree just had her first date with Travis..I don’t have good vibes about him..I have the feeling he’s not a good person.
I’m adoring the friendship that is slowly building between Archer and Bree..Archer is a very interesting character :)

message 35: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments I finished last night, and really loved the whole book. I agree with you about how the relationship is building...very sweet! I won't comment on Travis one way or the other because anything I say will probably give stuff away for you. I will also say (without any detail yet) that overall things ended up pretty much the way I thought they would...both regarding the romance and the surrounding storylines. A couple of surprises in how they got there, but the end result was mostly what I expected.

Chiara | 615 comments I’m glad you enjoyed it and I cannot wait to finish it so we can discuss it without you holding back your thoughts! I just got back home from work..I’m currently halfway and I hope to read as much as possible tonight!
I think I’m figuring out a couple of unpleasant things that probably will happen later on, but I hope in the end everything will be sorted out!

Chiara | 615 comments I’m at the point when Archer goes out with Travis..poor Archer..he wants to try his best to be “normal” so that Bree will like him more..I feel really bad for him and his insecurities

Chiara | 615 comments They’re at the club..I’m hating Travis! But I also have to say Archer sounds a bit too naive..I understand that he has zero experience but I’m not liking his behavior!

message 39: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments Yeah, but you have to remember that he's not just inexperienced, he's been almost totally isolated from normal society. He really has no clue what is and isn't normal and accepted when it comes to sex and relationships. And his parents didn't even have a normal, loving relationship as a foundation for him to build on. His gut instinct is that what Travis is telling him is wrong, but he doesn't have any basis for that, so doesn't completely trust his own feelings.

message 40: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments And yes, Travis is acting extremely scummy!

Chiara | 615 comments I’m glad that in the end Archer followed his gut and didn’t have sex with the stripper! And he was amazing by showing up during the storm..he sounds like the perfect man!! ;)

I’m sure Travis and his mother will try their best to hurt Archer and Bree..cannot wait to find out what they’re plotting!

Chiara | 615 comments I finally finished! Sorry it took me a little bit longer than I thought!
I really really loved this book...it’s sweet and emotional and funny and angsty..it has all the features that make a story worth reading!

I’m glad in the end Travis turned out to be better than I thought..he wasn’t the real villain after all!

message 43: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments I'm glad you loved it as much as I did! I agree about Travis...but it made it really hard to say anything about him before you were finished because I didn't want to give it away that he redeemed himself. Not totally, he was still a jerk to Archer throughout their lives and has to own that, but at least it was more just bratty and I'm sure some jealousy over Bree, not truly vile like his mother.

I actually liked that Archer left and cut himself off completely for a while...I think he really needed that time to prove to himself that he could manage on his own in the real world. Otherwise he would have always been wondering if he could or if Bree would always need to take care of him.

I'm such a sucker for a great epilogue, and this one sure hit the mark...so sweet!

Chiara | 615 comments It was a very emotional story and I totally loved it!! You're right about Travis. He was probably just jealous about Bree and he had a cocky attitude but, apart from that, he wasn't an evil person.

Archer did the right thing by leaving, because it was the only way he could finally overcome his insecurities and feel worthy as a man. I believe that probably if he hadn't found the courage to leave, their relationship would have been ruined sooner or later. Anyway I felt heartbroken for Bree nonetheless, because she suffered a lot for Archer's decision.

My heart stopped towards the end when Archer was shot because for a moment I thought he was dead..

I'm glad we chose this book because it's a beautiful and moving story..I love reading romances that are not simply love stories. This is a journey towards healing and self-acceptance and it's beautifully written..It deserves 5 stars!

message 45: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 4660 comments I agree with everything you said, although I never thought Archer would die...I try to be very careful not to pick books that end up being the tragic love story where one of the MCs dies or goes away. I want my Happy Ending!!!

I'm glad we picked this book too...it really was wonderful. Thanks for having it on your shelf, and thanks for reading it with me!!! =)

Chiara | 615 comments I know it’s unusual for one of the main characters to die (even though unfortunately I read a couple of books with such tragic ending) but I have to say the author was very good to let readers believe (even just for a second) that Archer was dead because she writes something like “I told Archer not to leave me but it was too late cause he was already gone”..and then on the next chapter she mentions the fact that the whole town gathered to honor Archer!

Luckily it was just a trick to cause a bit of suspense and nothing more! I agree with you..I want my happy ending as well..it’s one of the main reasons why I love reading so much!

Thanks to you for being my buddy read partner for this month! 💕