Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4)
This topic is about Hello Stranger
Archive (Buddy Reads) > April Buddy Read - Hello Stranger (HeatherMarie, Marcy)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

~KarenH~ | 6797 comments April Buddy Read

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Hey Marcy
Would you like to read historical or contemporary?
I have hoopla too. Also really love audiobooks and humor.

Do you have anything in particular that you'd like to read next month?- I'm open to anything.

Marcy Hey HeatherMarie! I’m really new at the groups, so I’m clunky at finding things. I found your picking shelf. How’s Unmasking Miss Appleby? Historical or contemporary works for me. If there’s something you’d really like to read, I’m game. I also like some paranormal, but I’m just not into vampires. :)

Marcy Forgot to include: Redeeming Love and The Man Who Won the World look really interesting too!

Marcy Also Hello Stranger Lisa Kleypas

message 6: by HeatherMarie (last edited Mar 26, 2018 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Sorry for not getting back to you sooner (didn't click the notify thingy, so didn't get updates 😒)

Would Hello Stranger be ok? I didn't see any of those titles on Hoopla but Hello Stranger is on
❤️❤️Audiobook❤️❤️ on overdrive.

Would be totally cool with Miss Appleby too- heard she's a shape changer or something- cool 😎

Marcy Hello Stranger is great! Let’s do that!

No worries about replying on a certain time frame. My life runs on an irregular time frame :)

I got the Appleby book, too, since it was free on Amazon right now.

Do you tell whoever or do I? Sorry, newbie here.

Marcy Also Overdrive doesn’t show Hello Stranger by Lisa Kleypas for my library, so I’ll just read the ebook from amazon. I didn’t know if you needed to know.

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments I can do it if you want. One of us just comments in the main buddyread April thread saying what we're reading.

Marcy Ok if you could do it I’d appreciate it. I’m pretty sure at some point I’m going to put the wrong thing in the wrong place since I have to make every mistake imaginable when I’m learning something. Thanks!

Marcy I started reading today. Not sure how this normally goes, so...After the first chapter and the mention of Garrett’s schooling in France, I was reminded of a lady heart doctor who discussed medical school with my daughter. She only got to be a heart doctor because both her mother and father were doctors. She was the only female in the medical school, and this was late 50’s / early 60’s. She said that if you got into medical school, they would only offer women pediatrics. She got special favor to specialize in pediatric heart. I can’t imagine how difficult It was in Garrett’s time.

Marcy “the self-satisfaction of a woman who neither concealed nor apologized for her own intelligence. She was sunlight and steel...”

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments What a great quote!
I should be able to start on the weekend.
Do you recall the name of the pediatric heart surgeon? - her story sounds fascinating.

In talking about being a lady doctor in difficult times, there was this series I started about an Italian doctor who travels to England (during the reign of one of the Henry's- forget which one) to be essentially the Royal medical examiner for suspicious crimes- so cool to see her navigate her limitations when she gets to a much less progressive atmosphere (I know there is a better way to say that...but I'm tired)
Oh that book was: Mistress of the Art of Death
Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1) by Ariana Franklin
It mostly leans towards mystery/detective with romantic elements; but I've only read the first one so don't know if that changes.

So excited to start this sucker now!

Marcy Unfortunately, I don’t remember her name. If I think about it long enough, it might float up from the depths. Lol. She practiced at Children’s in Dallas, but she was past retirement age when we talked to her years ago. She was definitely a fascinating woman! Her name might have been Hart. Seems like I remember us laughing about that.

That book you mentioned sounds interesting! I’ll put it on my want to read list. Thanks!

I highlighted some quotes in Hello Stranger. I’ll come back with them when I have my wits about me. I just came from the gym, and when I’m working out I can’t tell you what 1+1 is. :D

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Was able to get ahold of the book early. ☺️
Since it's a Kleypas... I binged it.

Here is a summary of my reading experience (sans spoilers):
Woah! What a way to start.
Irish accent, thank you audio book.
Thoughts on spaghetti, lol.
Description of fish & chips makes me want fish & chips 😕....
The bridge scene- had to go do something IRL- terrible place to be in for a couple hours today- oh the suspense!
Will be googling history of blood typing later....
Oh the feels, that whistle❤️

Liked the book- think I still prefer the Winterborne/Helen one (might be because I'm a sucker for a Welsh accent when audiobooking)

Those are my quick thoughts.
How's it going for you?

Marcy Oh...yummy comments!

I need to get back to reading. It took great restraint for me to stop at 30 odd percent, so I understand the binging.

I think the Winterborne store could be based on Selfridges. At least it sounds the same to me, and the stained glass of Winterborne’s is like a building near Selfridge’s.

Marcy My favorite in this series, up to this point, is Devil in Spring. I love, love, love Pandora! Of course I’ve really liked anything by Kleypas. I hope my library gets the audio soon!!!

Marcy Ok, I’m back! I just started reading again. Wow, the conversation about birth control in chapter nine is still relevant today. Of course I knew about the spiritual reasons and forced ignorance about anatomy, but it shocked me all over again. So thankful to be living now. At least in regards to birth control and knowledge about anatomy.

Marcy I’ve changed my mind!

I want to live back then.
Only if I can have a ladies maid to fix my hair every time I need to go somewhere (or every day???) Gah....what would that be like?????

(Chapter 10 & Helen’s maid fixing Garrett’s hair)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Lol. Good point about birth control. But yeah having your hair done everybody day just cuz- that would be sweet 😉
I think about the lack of air conditioning & im out again ☺️

Marcy Yeah lack of air conditioner is a deal breaker.

Ransom and Garrett’s night together...smile. What a love scene! Kleypas is so awesome. Never stale and expected. I love it!

Then there’s what Ransom said to Garrett after being shot:

“The first moment I saw you, I knew you were my share of the world. I’ve always loved you. If I could choose my fate, I’d never be parted from you. Acushla . . . pulse of my heart, breath of my soul . . . there’s nothing on this earth more fair and fine than you. Your shadow on the ground is sunlight to me.”

Love it!

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Swoon- you pull the best quotes!❤️

Marcy I’m finished! Why couldn’t it have been 300 pages longer? I never want to leave Kleypas’s worlds. Sigh...I guess we’ll need to wait a year or so before Devil’s Daughter is finished. My library doesn’t have her other series, so I guess I’ll have to break down and buy them to pacify myself.

Marcy I just wanted to say thanks for being my buddy on this read!

Best Wishes!

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Same here, you were a great buddy!