YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team Vigo (F) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Vivi (last edited Apr 03, 2018 02:29PM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Team Vigo:

Lesa
✔ Charley Girl
✔ Anna
Nat
✔ Vivi
Courtney
Haley
✔ Cristina
Isa
✔ GridGirl
✔Katrina
✔Maria

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

***Everyone please check in before April 1***

message 2: by Vivi (last edited Mar 23, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments How it works:

Each team will be dealt 5 categories/cards randomly at the beginning of the challenge (Using random.org). Each team must then read books which match these descriptions.

Once 4 books have been completed for the same description, this category/card is completed, and the team will receive 10 bonus points. They will also be assigned a new category/card using random.org. (As categories are picked using random.org, teams may be assigned the same category/card more than once during the challenge.)

Each team will also receive 4 'passes' for if they get a category that they really don't think they'll be able to complete. You only get 4 of these though, so choose wisely ☺

Rules/Guidelines:

* Books must be read between the 1st of April to the 30th of April inclusive. Books started before April may be used to claim points for pages read in April, but will not count towards crossing off any categories/cards.

* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse. Please note that as per our normal rules, poetry and books written in verse will only score 1/3 of the normal points due to reduced word count. So 300 pages = 1 point.)

* Re-reads are allowed as long as it has been at least a year since you last read the book, and you write a new review or updates.

*A review or 4 detailed updates will be required for each book read.

*Buddy reads must have a minimum of 4 comments to count, and comments must be detailed, and about the book.

* Buddy reads must take place within this group (YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥) to gain the extra points.

* Any member of the team can read for each category/card, even if they have already read a book which completes this same category/card.

* All categories will be picked using random.org. As categories are picked using random.org, teams may be assigned the same category more than once during the challenge.

* 'A' and 'The' at the beginning of a title may be skipped if necessary, and the first letter of the next word used instead for categories/cards that ask you to read books starting with a specific letter.

(More Challenge Rules at: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

message 3: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 1490 comments I'm checking in...now I just have to actually read the rules lol.

message 4: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Hi Lesa :)

We already have our cards/categories... Yay!

I thought a spreedsheat would be a good idea... I kinda of made one.... will send you the link.

message 5: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 1490 comments Cool I was just looking at it. I'm hoping I can get the Wild Card because none of the others fit in with my buddy reads starting on the first lol.

message 6: by Vivi (last edited Mar 23, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Lesa wrote: "Cool I was just looking at it. I'm hoping I can get the Wild Card because none of the others fit in with my buddy reads starting on the first lol."

Lesa, I've put your name in 1 of our wildcard books (we need 4) in the spreadsheet.

I sent you the link to the spreadsheeet so you can add your books and BRs. Please check if you can see and edit the spreadsheet.

message 7: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 1490 comments Vivi wrote: "Lesa wrote: "Cool I was just looking at it. I'm hoping I can get the Wild Card because none of the others fit in with my buddy reads starting on the first lol."

Lesa, I've put your name in 1 of ou..."

Okay cool I'm look to see what books fit all of the wild cards OMG lol

message 8: by Lesa (last edited Mar 23, 2018 02:20PM) (new)

Lesa Divine | 1490 comments Yeah I think the wild card going to be harder than I thought....SMH...I don't read books with guitars on them lol....and the Patrick book The Name of the Wind I won't be reading until the 17th buddy read....hmm

message 9: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) Hi checking in. @Vivi can you share the link with me too please?

message 10: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Charley Girl wrote: "Hi checking in. @Vivi can you share the link with me too please?"

Sent you the link through PM... if you have books set to read in April that fit the categories, please add them to the Spreadsheet.

message 11: by Vivi (last edited Mar 26, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments We have some easy cards and lots of categories... We do have the wildcard and a category for reading books with titles that have at least 1 B... those are easy categories and we're bound to fill them up quickly, I think :)

message 12: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83357 comments Mod
Hi Team Vigo, I am adding Cristina to your team ☺

message 13: by Vivi (last edited Mar 26, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi Team Vigo, I am adding Cristina to your team ☺"

Great! :)

message 14: by Wolf (Alpha) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) | 2510 comments Good Luck!

message 15: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Wolf (Alpha) wrote: "Good Luck!"

Thanks Wolf.

message 16: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Adding Isa to your team ☺

message 17: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Sarah wrote: "Adding Isa to your team ☺"

Yay! :)

message 18: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Adding GridGirl to your team ☺

message 19: by GridGirl (new)

GridGirl | 622 comments Hello, I'd like to check in :)
And I think I should mention that this my first challenge, so I might ask stupid questions...

message 20: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments GridGirl wrote: "Hello, I'd like to check in :)
And I think I should mention that this my first challenge, so I might ask stupid questions..."

Hi GridGirl, welcome!
Feel free to ask anything thing you want.

I'll send you our team's spreadsheet link throught PM/email soon.

We're keeping track of the books we're going to read there, so please add the books you're going to read that fit the categories.

message 21: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 32 comments Hi, checking in!

message 22: by Vivi (last edited Mar 28, 2018 03:06AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Cristina wrote: "Hi, checking in!"

Hi Cristina,

I'll send you our team's spreadsheet link throught PM/email... please add the books you're going to read that fit the categories.

message 23: by GridGirl (new)

GridGirl | 622 comments Vivi wrote: "GridGirl wrote: "Hello, I'd like to check in :)
And I think I should mention that this my first challenge, so I might ask stupid questions..."

Hi GridGirl, welcome!
Feel free to ask anything thing..."

Thank you!

How do we handle books that fit in different categories? I have a book that could fit Blue Five and Green Five, for example. Should I put it in the category that has more or less entries from our group so far (I feel like both of it makes sense in a way) or just put it in here and someone will tell me what challenge I should read it for?

And I have a question about the rules, too. As far as I know it is possible to use an edition of a book that is not English, right? Do I have to use the edition I'm actually reading (so if I read in German, do I have to use the German edition?) or can I use any edition that I like (for example the English one)?

message 24: by Vivi (last edited Mar 28, 2018 03:35AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments GridGirl wrote: "Vivi wrote: "GridGirl wrote: "Hello, I'd like to check in :)

Hi GridGirl, welcome!
Feel free to ask a..."

You can read in any language, but you have to write a review on the book when you finish In English (to "prove" that you actually read the book) OR you can do Reading updates (at least 4) but they have to be a bit detailed (and in English) ... It can't be just "I'm liking the book", more like "I can´t believe the MC acted like that" or "I loved when he sang to her" (again so it can show that you actually read the book)

The edition you post in our review thread... it has to be the edition that fits the category... for example if the category is "A book that has a B in the title" if the german edition has no B, I'd say use the English one (because it has the B)... just be sure to add the edition that has the higher page count (since we get points for pages read) ... it's okay to do so, (it's not cheating, since all the teams do it).

message 25: by Vivi (last edited Mar 28, 2018 03:27AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments GridGirl wrote: "Vivi wrote: "GridGirl wrote: "Hello, I'd like to check in :)

Hi GridGirl, welcome!
Feel free to ask a..."

Abou the books categories and how to choose them... I'd say you pick the one we have more books for... like if we already have 3 books for a category, if you have another one, we'll complete the category and get 10 extra points ! :)

OR you can just use the category that is in your opinion harder to find books for.

message 26: by GridGirl (new)

GridGirl | 622 comments Okay, thanks! :)

message 27: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Hi Team Vigo, just to let you know that I am adding Katrina to your team ☺

message 28: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments Hi guys! :)

message 29: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments Can I get the spreadsheet please? :)

message 30: by Vivi (last edited Mar 29, 2018 01:49PM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Katrina wrote: "Can I get the spreadsheet please? :)"

Hi Katrina :)

will send you the link through PM. Please add there the books you plan to read in April.

message 31: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments I just filled it in! I have a board exam on the 6th, so I probably won't start reading until after that. And a lot of them are re-reads as I fall back into reading. I took a pretty long hiatus from books to focus on school, and I don't think I'll be as fast as I used to right away lol.

So if anyone needs to take any of the spots I took that's perfectly fine :)

message 32: by Vivi (last edited Mar 30, 2018 02:50AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Katrina wrote: "I just filled it in! I have a board exam on the 6th, so I probably won't start reading until after that. And a lot of them are re-reads as I fall back into reading. I took a pretty long hiatus from..."

This is a "just for fun" team, so it's low pressure, you just read what you can/want to... me, myself, usually can only read 1 book a week, so, it's around 4/5 books a month for me.

I'll still try to read more, but only if I can. Though, of course, I'd love our team to win, real life comes first, so we'll just do/read what we can ... so no worries Katrina, hope you enjoy your readings :)

message 33: by GridGirl (new)

GridGirl | 622 comments Hey, Katrina, I noticed that the book you put in for a wildcard would fit in the category for the yellow two (number 33) as well. If you put it in that category, we'd have four books in that category :)
You don't have to, though, I just wanted to mention it ☺

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 137 comments Hi guys you have me so long to check in I didn’t realize the teams that wanna forget

message 35: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments I didn’t even notice that. I’ll move it to the other category. Thanks for letting me know!

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 137 comments What are we supposed to be doing right now?

message 37: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Anna wrote: "What are we supposed to be doing right now?"

Hi Anna, I'll send you the link for our spreadsheet through email.

Go there to see our categories and please add the books you plan to read in April, that fit our categories.

message 38: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Also, can everyone please mark on the spreadsheet with yellow color (currently reading color) the book you're planning to read 1st... just so we know what everyone is reading. Thank you :)

message 39: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments I highlighted 2 since one is an ebook and the other is paperback and I'll probably start them at the same time

message 40: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Katrina wrote: "I highlighted 2 since one is an ebook and the other is paperback and I'll probably start them at the same time"

Okay, great :)

message 41: by GridGirl (new)

GridGirl | 622 comments So, I have 369 pages of my current buddy read left for April. I know that we can't put it in a category, but does the buddy read give extra points?
Should I put it in the spreadsheet for "extra books" and maybe leave a comment that I started it before April to avoid confusion?

message 42: by Vivi (last edited Apr 01, 2018 03:27AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments GridGirl wrote: "So, I have 369 pages of my current buddy read left for April. I know that we can't put it in a category, but does the buddy read give extra points?
Should I put it in the spreadsheet for "extra bo..."

If the Buddy Read's last comment (before yours) was more than 2 weeks ago, it does not count (I think, might have to check).

The extra books part in the spreadsheet is for books that we read that don't fit a category now, but might fit another category we get later.... your book won't ever complete a category, because it wasn't all read in April, so I say you just post it in the review thread when you finish it. It still will get us some points... Don't forget to mention how manny pages you read in April, though.

message 43: by GridGirl (new)

GridGirl | 622 comments Vivi wrote: "GridGirl wrote: "So, I have 369 pages of my current buddy read left for April. I know that we can't put it in a category, but does the buddy read give extra points?
Should I put it in the spreadsh..."

Alright, that's not the case. The buddy read is still on going (we started end of March and just aren't done yet), the last comment before mine was just two days ago. So it should be "valid".
Sure, I'll do that, thanks ☺

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 137 comments Are we supposed to read a book a week?

message 45: by Vivi (last edited Apr 01, 2018 07:14AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Anna wrote: "Are we supposed to read a book a week?"

we're a just for fun team, so we don't have a number of books we have to read per week... we just read what we want or can.

And when we finish reading our books we have to post our review of the book in our team's review thread (link at the 1st post of this thread).

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna (annasweetrose) | 137 comments Kk Will you email me what car we get it next time we get a new one? I just started my book I need to go look

message 47: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments Anna wrote: "Kk Will you email me what car we get it next time we get a new one? I just started my book I need to go look"

I'll mail you when we get a new card or category, but it may take a while since we have to finish 4 books for the same category, before we get a new one.

message 48: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments When we get a new card, it will be posted in the review thread and then I'm sure one of us would add it to the spread sheet

message 49: by Vivi (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:19AM) (new)

Vivi | 1338 comments @Katrina,
I saw you added in the spreadsheet The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend. I've checked with Sarah and that book won't fit that category, because the "des" is after ":" in the title, so it is a part of the subtitle and not the title.

message 50: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments But I thought the whole thing is the title? I’ve always called it designated ugly fat friend when I’ve referred to it in conversation. I wish you would have let me know before you went to Sarah so I could have asked about it myself, but okay I guess

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.