The Novella Club discussion

Group reads > Nominate a novella for September 2014

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Animal Farm a classic, thought provoking and I haven't read it in...well, a long time.

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I'll accept nominations from now until 7/28 and then I'll put up a poll.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I'd like to nominate The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín. It's just 96 pages, but one of the most powerful books I've read. This slim volume was a finalist for the Booker.

"In the ancient town of Ephesus, Mary lives alone, years after her son’s crucifixion. She has no interest in collaborating with the authors of the Gospel, who are her keepers. She does not agree that her son is the Son of God; nor that his death was “worth it”; nor that the “group of misfits he gathered around him, men who could not look a woman in the eye,” were holy disciples.

Mary judges herself ruthlessly (she did not stay at the foot of the cross until her son died—she fled, to save herself), and her judgment of others is equally harsh. This woman whom we know from centuries of paintings and scripture as the docile, loving, silent, long-suffering, obedient, worshipful mother of Christ becomes a tragic heroine with the relentless eloquence of Electra or Medea or Antigone. Tóibín’s tour de force of imagination and language is a portrait so vivid and convincing that our image of Mary will be forever transformed."

Fiona Shaw performed this as a monologue piece, which received raves: http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014... However, the Broadway run of the show ended early, which is a real shame.

message 4: by Lora (new)

Lora (lorabanora) Maybe we should keep a running list of some of the titles not nominated and use that for the poll one month? I would like to nominate G.K. Chesterton's Manalive, but it seems to me we've read him recently and could use other authors.

message 5: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) I'll nominate

The Big Blow by Joe R. Lansdale
The Big Blow by Joe R. Lansdale

Galveston, Texas. September 4, 1900. A giant hurricane—destined to be remembered as the storm of the century—is brewing offshore. Fighter John McBride has arrived from Chicago to challenge the local heavyweight champion, a 22 year-old Jack Johnson, as-yet unknown to the broader boxing world. Problem is, Johnson is black and the local Sporting Club doesn’t want him to leave the ring alive. Around this central story, Lansdale weaves a compelling historical tale, filled with prostitutes and gamblers, storm-tossed sailors and everyday citizens. His unflinching dialog recreates a time when racism and violence were facts of life -- Goodreads

message 6: by Mishek (new)

Mishek | 3 comments I nominate G.K. Chesterton's "The Man Who Was Thursday."

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 85 comments Couple of these have been on my to read list for a while.

message 9: by Mishek (new)

Mishek | 3 comments Sorry forgot the book link

The Man Who Was Thursday

message 10: by Buck (last edited Jul 25, 2014 03:32PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 568 comments The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh

I've nominated this before. I haven't read it yet only because my library doesn't have it for download.

message 11: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 16 comments I nominate Monte Verita by Daphne DuMaurier. It can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

This novella has romance, suspense, and the supernatural. This is my favorite novella and I hope others will love that novella too.

message 12: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Mishek wrote: "Sorry forgot the book link

The Man Who Was Thursday"

We already read this one Dec 2012 - these discussion have all been left open and you can certainly add a comment.

message 13: by Courtney (new)

message 15: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Manalive

message 16: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Ronald wrote: "I nominate Monte Verita by Daphne DuMaurier. It can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

This novella has romance, suspense, and the supernatural. This is my..."

Ronald - I will nominate it, but I think I'd have to encourage people to read "Don't Look Now" and "Birds" too - they are brilliant long-short stories.

message 17: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 16 comments "Ronald - I will nominate it, but I think I'd have to encourage people to read "Don't Look Now" and "Birds" too - they are brilliant long-short stories. "

I like that idea. Monte Verita + Don't Look Now + The Birds.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Julia wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín. It's just 96 pages, but one of the most powerful books I've read. This slim volume was a finalist for the..."

Hi Julia - The Testament of Mary is an amazing book - one of my all time "new" favorites.

message 19: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Nominations are closed - go vote.