Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > October's books will be...

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
The Woman in White (Elizabeth) discussion lead.
The Historian (Julie) discussion lead.

Just and FYI The Historian is a BIG book so please don't wait to the last moment and think you can speed read it.
Thanks,
T~

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lexnick) I absolutely loved the Historian and recommend it to anyone who is into that type of book.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Great choices! I've read The Historian and enjoyed it, it will be a great discussion! I can't wait to read The Woman in White! It will be fun to read a classic, I haven't read one in awhile!

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments This is going to be fun!

message 5: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Wow, I actually own one of these currently (The Historian) so that's one book I don't have to go out and buy. And I agree, The Historian is BIG (642 pgs in my hardcover) so it should probably be read ahead. That is why it is still sitting on my shelf..it looked good but also looked like a big commitment. But I like the fact that it is about the legend of Dracula. Great choice for October!

But then again, I just checked out The Woman in White here on GR, and they say the paperback of that has 720 pgs! So it looks like both are big books.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments I've been wanting to ready The Woman in White!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Thanks for voting for The Woman in White. It's been on my shelf for several months. Tera wanted a good "Halloween" read, and I hope it lives up to that.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Cool. I have the Historian already. Now I need to scout out The Woman In White. I've noticed that I really like the books that you chicks pick for the books of the month. My only problem is sometimes in this area I have a hard time finding them at the library and I'm a broke student. lol

Elizabeth (Alaska) Shelby, scout out online. The Woman in White has been out of copyright for a long, long time, and I think you can get it free if you're willing to read on the computer.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Christy wrote: "I've been wanting to ready The Woman in White!"

Should be another great month! :)

message 11: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Great suggestion Elizabeth. I just checked Project Gutenberg and they do have it available in several versions for free download.
Here is a link for those who might want a free ebook version of The Woman in White:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/583

message 12: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

DailyLit also has The Woman in White available for free. For those who don't know DailyLit, it is a website that will email you parts of a book every day, so that over time, reading just a email page a day, you can read a whole book. There are 286 parts to this book on their site though, so you would have to sign up to receive several a day (or when you get them, you can read on and then click on "send me another" and they will keep sending you as many as you want.) I read half of Moby Dick using Daily Lit, but then got tired of the emails and got a copy of the book to finish it. But it is a "free" option.

http://www.dailylit.com/books/woman-i...

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Thanks so much ladies :)

message 14: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Oh yes, another spot to get The Woman in White free is from http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Barnes and Noble's website is giving away a free download of an e-reader that works on computers, i-phones, or blackberrys. You can get your free e-reader at:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/...

They give you several free books when you first download (when I downloaded it, it came with Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Dracula, Last of the Mohicans, and a Webster-Merriam Dictionary). And I just checked their online e-books, and they had several free versions of The Woman In White available for download, so I just downloaded one of them too. They also had versions you could pay for, but a free version (older scanned copies) works for me.

I LOVE free stuff!

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments They sound like great books for October and Halloween!

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Which one's first?

Elizabeth (Alaska) The Woman in White should be first as it won the most votes. That said, I know I will be out of town the first weekend in October, and I hope that Julie doesn't have a conflict and will be willing to switch with me, but I haven't heard from her yet.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Hey, everyone. Julie has graciously agreed to go first in October, so the order will be

The Historian, followed mid-month by
The Woman in White

Thanks, Julie!

message 19: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) Just a quick warning - It took me ages to read 'The Woman in White' when I read it last year. It may be wise to read these two choices a little at a time between now and October or we could come unstuck!

Ally

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments LOL oh dear I seem to be on this run of my book clubs picking things I have already read LOL

Rae

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon2020) Oh me too! I have already read both of them but not lately so I hope I can remember enough to keep up with the chat

message 22: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I've read both books too. I remember really enjoying them.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I've had from two women whose opinions I value that these are very good books.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I've read here and in another group that many liked The Historian. In my comments on the thread "when do you give up on a book", this was one of the books that I kept after, even though I questioned my sanity in doing so. I had a hard time with the first 3/4 of this book, but I'll say I was very glad that I DID keep at it, because the last 100 pages or so were riveting for me. It's been too long now for me to participate in that discussion, but I hope those of you who do read it enjoy it.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 231 comments this is too funny! They are both on my list to read. In fact I almost got the Historian last week but my hands were already too full! I have not kept up with my reading after my Mom's surgery and just headed to the library for fun without looking at my lists of tbr or book clubs!

message 26: by Eve (new)

Eve (eve_lyn) Yay - I finally have a reason to finish Woman in White!

message 27: by Libby (new)

Libby Unnerstall (libbyou) I finished 'The Historian" today and not quite sure if I loved it or hated it. Someday I'll read it again and take time to do research on all the areas the characters traveled. Now, time to start 'The Woman in White'!

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments The Woman in White was a fantastic read, and because of it I now want to read everything by Wilkie Collins. I've been wanting to read The Historian since last October, so I'm really glad CoL voted for it! I've heard mixed reviews on it, but it looks great to me.