YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team Málaga (M) - Chat ✔

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alex M. (last edited Apr 12, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Hello <3 !

Betelgeuse ☕
Andreea ☕
Jamie ☕
Quirks ☕
J.D. ☕
Ashley ☕
Kaya ☕

Reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Alex M. (last edited Mar 23, 2018 02:02PM) (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments I will send you the spreadsheet once you check in. Everyone can edit/change so you can play with it if you want. I made a pretty basic one. 😅

Current Cards:
(1)**51. Red 'Draw Two' - Get two new categories instead of one! Both categories will be from the red cards, and will be chosen using random.org.
---28. Red Seven - 'Red7' - Read books with the letters 'G', 'A', 'M', and 'E' in the title. (Title must contain all 4 letters, but in any order.) (Hint, words which contain 'G', 'A', 'M', and 'E are game (duh!), mage, champagne, Margaret, image, imagine, necromancing, and demonglass.)

---27. Red Six - 'Red Six' - Read books set in Canada, or written by Canadian authors. (These lists might help - Canadian YA, Montreal, Quebec (Montréal, Québec), Quebec (Québec), Canada)

(2)**23. Red Two - 'Red 2' - Read books whose title's contain the letter 'W' (for 'Warren Ellis') (The letter 'W' can be anywhere in the title, as long as it appears at least once.)

(3)**42. Green 'Skip' - 'Skip' a category/card! Gain 10 bonus points just for landing on this card, and then receive another new category/card. (Your new card will be a 'green' card.)

(4)**1. Blue Zero - 'Blue Zero vodka' - Read books which you got for free (for alcohol free) (Could be an amazon freebie, a library book, a gift, a review copy etc.) (no illegally free books please)

(5)**19. Green Eight - 'green8usa' - Read books which have a cell phone on the cover (this list might help - Cell Phones on the Cover), or which have the words 'cell', 'phone', 'bio' or 'field' in the title or authors name (words containing the word are also okay, such as 'cellar', 'excellent', 'fielding', or 'persephone.)

(6)**6. Blue Five - 'Blue 5' - Read books with the letters 'A', 'R', and 'T' in the title (Title must contain all 3 letters, but in any order.) (Examples of words which contain 'A', 'R', and 'T' are, heart, earth, part, start, Charlotte, great, shatter, desperate, katherine, star, wrath, and generation.).

message 3: by J.D. (new)

J.D. (booksrbirds) | 36 comments Signing in

message 4: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Hey! ❤
I will soon make a list with what books I can read for each category.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Hello! :)

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Checking in, woohoo!
Will check what I can read tomorrow 📚

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments I claimed one book that I'm hoping to start with, but that may change.

message 8: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Yeah, I think it's good to put all the books we are planning to read in the first two weeks already. We can always move them around.

I'm adding:
Read books set in Canada - Falling Kingdoms
Read books whose title's contain the letter 'W' - Water for Elephants
Read books with the letters 'A', 'R', and 'T' - The Lies of Locke Lamora

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Oh, I think I'll read The Lies of Locke Lamora too :)
It would count twice towards the category, wouldn't it?
Once 4 books have been completed for the same description, this category/card is completed, and the team will receive 10 bonus points.

For this - I bought about 20 books with a gift card I got for my birthday - do you think that would count? Otherwise, I have a few books that were free.
(4)**1. Blue Zero - 'Blue Zero vodka' - Read books which you got for free (for alcohol free) (Could be an amazon freebie, a library book, a gift, a review copy etc.) (no illegally free books please)

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Added 3 as well :)
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi
Authority (Southern Reach #2) by Jeff VanderMeer (need BR, if anyone's interested)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Can fit more in, but not sure what everyone else will have planned, so I can always add them later :)

message 11: by Alex M. (last edited Mar 24, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Andreea wrote: "Oh, I think I'll read The Lies of Locke Lamora too :)
It would count twice towards the category, wouldn't it?
Once 4 books have been completed for the same description, this category/card is comple..."

Yes, they can count even four times. And for the free category, anything that is free works (gifts, borrowed, found xD etc.)

I have BRs for The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani series too. Same as Andreea, I will see what others are reading before adding them.

At the moment I will be reading for sure:
Jackaby (Jackaby, #1) by William Ritter The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani A World Without Princes (The School for Good and Evil, #2) by Soman Chainani The Last Ever After (The School for Good and Evil, #3) by Soman Chainani The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

message 12: by Alex M. (last edited Mar 24, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments I will join for The Hate U Give. ^^

message 13: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Checking in!

message 14: by Wolf (Alpha) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) | 2510 comments Good Luck!

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Anyone else have anything planned for the first round of cards? :) I can't believe this starts on Sunday! Exciting!

@Wolf - Thanks! ^_^

message 16: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Wolf (Alpha) wrote: "Good Luck!"

Thank you! <3

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 136 comments 1. Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire
2. Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
4. Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor
6. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
This is what I have planned so far.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Oh, loved Strange, the Dreamer and The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows!
Jamie, if you like The Screaming Staircase, want to buddy read the next part in April? It would count towards one of our categories (W). :)

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 136 comments Andreea wrote: "Oh, loved Strange, the Dreamer and The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows!
Jamie, if you like The Screaming Staircase, want to buddy read the next part in April? It would count towards one of our categ..."

Sure, that sounds cool. I put the book on hold at the library and ,if it doesn't come in on time, I found the kindle edition too.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments @Jamie - awesome, what start date should we set for it? Any date is fine for me, although the sooner the better because I really enjoyed the first one :)

message 21: by Jamie (last edited Mar 28, 2018 12:12PM) (new)

Jamie | 136 comments Andreea wrote: "@Jamie - awesome, what start date should we set for it? Any date is fine for me, although the sooner the better because I really enjoyed the first one :)"
How about we aim for maybe the 5th or the 6th? I plan to read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender first because it is due back to the library soon.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Jamie wrote: How about we aim for maybe the 5th or the 6th? I plan to read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender first because it is due back to the library soon."

6th sounds great! I'll make a thread for the BR :)

I hope you'll like Ava Lavender - I thought it was beautiful, but it can be a bit hit or miss with people, it really is a strange book.
I've added it to the document Betelgeuse sent us - so we have the W category covered!

Oh, and there's a BR for Ava Lavender that's still active, so you can post on it to double your points, if you want :)
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 136 comments Andreea wrote: "Jamie wrote: How about we aim for maybe the 5th or the 6th? I plan to read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender first because it is due back to the library soon."

6th sounds great! I'..."

Thank you. Did you notice the 1.5 book in the Lockwood &co series? The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood & Co., #1.5) by Jonathan Stroud

message 24: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments The first read I have planned for next month is End of Watch. But the W category is booked so... I'm using a different edition that fits for A.R.T. Is that okay?

message 25: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Quirks wrote: "The first read I have planned for next month is End of Watch. But the W category is booked so... I'm using a different edition that fits for A.R.T. Is that okay?"

Yes, it works to use different editions.
If there is a problem with that edition or something and you finish before I do, you can take my W spot and I will see where I can move my book. ^^

It's better to finish the categories fast so we can get new ones.

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Hi Jamie :) Yes, just bought the ebook earlier, but it's just a short story. I want to read it before the 6th but it's under 100 pages so it can't count for the challenge.

Hi Quirks! ART sounds good. It's good we have flexibility with titles! :)

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Jamie, here's our BR thread for Lockwood 2 :)
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Guys, I've just added the date when I'm going to start the books I've added to the file so far. Might we useful if we all do that, just so we don't end up with a lot of categories we won't finish until the end of the month, because then we won't get new cards.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone ^_^

message 28: by Quirks (last edited Mar 31, 2018 07:25AM) (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Okay so... I was procrastinating just now and I made another spreadsheet. I felt like the other might need too much scrolling as the challenge went on. I hope no one minds. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 29: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Quirks wrote: "Okay so... I was procrastinating just now and I made another spreadsheet. I felt like the other might need too much scrolling as the challenge went on. I hope no one minds. Here's the link: https:/..."

This looks cool *u*! Yay! I don't mind at all.

Andreea, good idea! <3 Going to add the dates right now.

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments New spreadsheet looks great, thanks Quirks! :)

Jamie, are you sure Rosemary and Rue fits the G.A.M.E. card? I couldn't see an edition with a G in it and it has to be in the title, not author's name :(

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 136 comments Andreea wrote: "New spreadsheet looks great, thanks Quirks! :)

Jamie, are you sure Rosemary and Rue fits the G.A.M.E. card? I couldn't see an edition with a G in it and it has to be in the title, not author's nam..."

Thank you, I don't know why I didn't notice that. The only thing I can say is that it was really late and I was tired when I did it. I will find another one. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Jamie wrote: "Thank you, I don't know why I didn't notice that. The only thing I can say is that it was really late and I was tired when I did it. I will find another one. Thank you for pointing that out to me. "
No problem - in my mind, To Kill A Kingdom worked for GAME too...took me a while to notice the E was missing, haha.

message 33: by Alex M. (last edited Apr 04, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Reviving the chat a bit as it's so quiet.

Finish my first book, posted the review. I might change the dates a bit for my books if a challenge is close to be completed and that helps for the points. We'll see.

message 34: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments I finished my first book too (End of Watch) but I haven't written the review yet.

message 35: by Andrea (last edited Apr 04, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Finishing Shatter Me in the next hour or so & then starting on Authority - reading it with someone who's not in the YA group, otherwise I would postpone - we probably won't finish this category too soon.

Jamie, Betelgeuse - are you both happy to swap a book around so we can finish the 'free' category this week? ^_^
I can move The Whispering Skull from W to Free (I am getting it on reward points, so not paying for it).
Betelgeuse, you could move The Lies of Locke Lamora from ART to W with this edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...
Jamie could move Strange the Dreamer to ART. Unless you wanted to read Strange this week? Just thought you might be waiting for the buddy read on the 15th, but not sure :)

I'll start Whispering Skull today or tomorrow.

message 36: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Yeep, I don't mind having them moved around! It is a good idea to move books from categories in order to complete them faster - this is the point of the challenge, after all. <3

Sooo I removed my Locke from ART. You can add it to W once you move your books around.

message 37: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments I posted my first review. And I switched the colors in the thread because the pink one stands out more which is good for completed books (really it's probably just because I have no self control and I like playing with the spreadsheet).

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Quirks wrote: "I posted my first review. And I switched the colors in the thread because the pink one stands out more which is good for completed books (really it's probably just because I have no self control an..."
Haha, spreadsheets are pretty cool, to be fair. So useful! ^_^

Everyone enjoying their current reads?

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments I finished Gemina, but it will probably be a day or 2 before I get to post it. I'm super busy studying for exams right now, so it's hard to find time.

message 40: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments I had to remove the Canada book (it wasn't working for me) but I already have another lined up to read instead. Also, I finished Geography of You and Me and I'll post the review tomorrow.

Lastly, I borrowed 13 Reasons Why from a friend and I may be able to finish it within a couple of days. Should I post it for the free book or wait until a new card pops up?

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments @Ashley - no worries, I thought I would have a lot of time over the weekend but then barely got any reading done at all :(
Good luck with your exams!

@Quirks - I'd say go for it. If anyone else finishes free a book before you and posts the review, I'm sure there will be another category this month where it will fit.
The sooner we finish a category, the better.

I wonder if JD is still taking part in the challenge.

message 42: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Posted 'Geography of You and Me' in free book for now (to get a new card) but I'll replace it with a different one and move it to G.A.M.E. as soon as I can.

message 43: by Alex M. (new)

Alex M.  | 507 comments Yay, new card!

I had a reading break because holidays but I am back on reading track starting tomorrow evening. ^^

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Thanks, Andreea :)

I'll probably be done with Girl of Nightmares tomorrow. I have an exam tomorrow and Wednesday, so I will probably post both Gemina and Girl of Nightmares on Wednesday when I'm a little less frantic.

message 45: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Currently reading '13 Reasons Why' (this is a free book which will replace 'Geography of You and Me') and 'Carrie' (there's an addition that will fit into A.R.T). I've finished 'Home and Away' and I'll review it tomorrow.

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 497 comments Sorry, I was away Sat-Tue, so didn't get a lot of reading done, although I thought I would :(
Managed to finish Authority, though, so I'll post for that now.

Does anyone need a slot on the W category? I could move my book to the Blue 7 Clothing category instead.

And hurray for new categories! :) They seem to be rather do-able.

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments I'm going to submit my stuff for Gemina now, and I'll see when I can put up Girl of Nightmares.

message 48: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
Hi guys, heard back from J.D. and he's pulling out of the challenge. I do have 3 people who are waiting for a space on a medium team though, so hopefully one of them will be filling the space soon ☺

message 49: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
Hello again, the person at the top of the waiting list is happy to join you ☺ Her name is Kaya and I'll move her review that she has already posted over to your review thread, if you want it moving to a different card then please let me know on the review thread ☺

message 50: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Hey, guys! I'm so happy to join!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.