YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > Books You Hated

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
I tried reading The Red Pyramid but it was so boring!! Which is weird because I love Rick Riordan

message 2: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Radiance (Riley Bloom, #1) by Alyson Noel It contained several completely useless chapters, a pretty stupid main conflict, and an even more stupid resolution. The narrator was selfish, bossy, and immature.
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger Holden Caulfield. I just couldn't stand him... Hopefully if I reread this later on, I'll understand it better.
Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie The writing itself wasn't too bad, but the plot was practically nonexistent, and there were so many opportunities for excitement that just slipped by.

message 3: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I enjoyed Crossed actually! But i do agree there wasn't really an exact plot to it. I thought I loved all the poetry though(: I think the Matched was somewhat boring

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Book Nerd (bwm721) I absolutely HATED Gone It was interesting in the beginning, but then things started happening so fast, it's a wonder the author still had ideas on what to write about in the next 5.

message 5: by Emcnamara (new)

Emcnamara | 10 comments I couldn't finish Breathe by Sarah Crossan. It just bored me!

message 6: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
I was bored to death by Robinson Crusoe, but I had to read it since it was assigned school reading and I was a good kid and didn't slack and look for the shortened explanation on the internet.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 98 comments I didn't really like daughter of smoke and bone to much and I don't know if I'm going to continue the series or not....

message 8: by Silvana (new)

Silvana | 13 comments TheShadowSranger-Agree ,now i dont judge a book without reading it firs and when i started reading Twilight my brain went full nope mode.The plot the dialogue i just didnt like it .Hate is a harsh word but yea

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know why I bothered to read it

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana | 13 comments I read it cus i couldnt say that book suck without first reading it ,when i read it i could say that it really sucked.Iv read only the first one.

These Violent Delights (Robin) Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare though with City of Bones, i hate how whiny they portrayed clary in the movie.. it made me hate the books. Though, I will try to re-read the books and try to like them

message 12: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones are the worst books I've ever read..

message 13: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Riya-Don't forget Hush, Hush hahaha

message 14: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Yeah- that was pretty dang bad!

message 15: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yea! Haha Crescendo is way worse!

message 16: by Riya (last edited Jul 26, 2014 05:01PM) (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Jordyn wrote: "Yea! Haha Crescendo is way worse!"

Good to know! Glad I stopped :P

message 17: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Ruby- I agree that the characters were boring. I think iv there were better, more exciting characters it would be a better series.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralawl) I couldnt even finish Gone because I thought it was so bad. Also, I'm not a big fan of The Fault in Our Stars (it's my opinion ok!!), I feel like I cant differenciate most of John Green's characters. The Catcher in the Rye wasn't my thing either.

message 19: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Sara wrote: "I couldnt even finish Gone because I thought it was so bad. Also, I'm not a big fan of The Fault in Our Stars (it's my opinion ok!!), I feel like I cant differenciate most of John Green's character..."

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with TFIOS either. It was well-written and stuff, but it wasn't anything special and I felt like John Green mainly wrote it as a tearjerker. And, I mean, what makes the ladies cry more than dying cancer kids?
And yeah, I feel like he keeps using the same characters from Looking For Alaska again and again - even for his short stories. TFIOS is his only book without those characters, but Hazel and Augustus still seem similar... too similar...

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralawl) Exactly! Sometimes in his books I honestly feel like a bunch of John Greens are having conversations with each other, but they all have that "quirk" to try and make them distinct.

message 21: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Sara wrote: "Exactly! Sometimes in his books I honestly feel like a bunch of John Greens are having conversations with each other, but they all have that "quirk" to try and make them distinct."

Yep! And most of the time, the dialogue seems too unrealistic. I mean, if you're going to write YA contemporary, at least make the teenagers talk like teenagers. I feel like he puts them in awfully convenient situations so he can justify their intelligence, but it just doesn't work. I see twenty-year-old college kids talk online all the time, and not even they talk like that.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralawl) I guess that he's trying to show teenagers aren't stupid, but it all seems a bit too pretentious to me. And really, really annoying.

message 23: by Jessica (last edited Jul 27, 2014 05:53AM) (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) Amee wrote: "Yep! And most of the time, the dialogue seems too unrealistic. I mean, if you're going to write YA contemporary, at least make the teenagers talk like teenagers. I feel like he puts them in awfully convenient situations so he can justify their intelligence, but it just doesn't work. I see twenty-year-old college kids talk online all the time, and not even they talk like that."

I'm a 35 year old with an advanced degree and even I don't talk like that!! lol Ok, well, my husband and I are kind of pretentious, so sometimes we do, but not all the time!!

I agree about John Green's characters. I loved TFIOS and I enjoy his other books, but his characters are all sooo similar.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) I just read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and I hated it. The first half was so boring and the end just made me angry.

message 25: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Agreed, John Green's characters are extremely similar. I like them, but there's too much resemblance of each other.

message 26: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

@Jessica and Connie - Yeah. I actually did like some of his characters; I liked Alaska a bit and Isaac, but there is always another character that's exactly like them. It gives off the impression that John Green is an incredibly lazy writer - which I'm sure he isn't - and kind of distracts you from the book. Instead of immersing myself in the story I'm reading, I find myself going "Oh, that's Alaska, that's Pudge, there's that well-known road-trip, and - oh look! Another Venn diagram!"

message 27: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Sara wrote: "I guess that he's trying to show teenagers aren't stupid, but it all seems a bit too pretentious to me. And really, really annoying."

Exactly.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Summer reading!!

message 29: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) Did not like The DUFF or Girl Parts (it was not only as stupid as it sounds, but actually worse).

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah those even sound bad

message 31: by Maya (last edited Jul 28, 2014 07:05PM) (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments The absolute worst: Evermore and Halo. Those books are so sexist and terribly written I want them to stop existing.
Less bad, but still unlikeable: City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, Eleanor and Park (couldn't stand the whining)
Too Boring: Matched!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

You hated the mortal instruments

message 33: by Maya (last edited Jul 28, 2014 07:07PM) (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I hated Cities of Fallen Angels and Lost Souls. I loved Cities of Bones, Ashes, and Glass. (I accidentally put Ashes earlier but I changed it!) I have yet to read City of Heavenly Fire. Long hold list at the library.

message 34: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
The Matched Series

message 35: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay | 18 comments I deeply disliked the Everneath series. I haven't read the last one and probably won't. My issue is I don't like to abandon characters so I rarely stop a book in the middle. That means for the most point I finish books even when I cannot stand them just to resolve the plot. Because the first book in the series didn't really end that meant I had to read the second one even though I couldn't stand more than half of the characters.

The only time in recent memory I have disliked something more was the second book in The Selection series which I did ultimately abandon. I ended up reading the plot online so I could fulfill my weird need to finish the story and save myself from America's waffling at the same time. It got to a point where I no longer cared what decision she made as long as she could make one.

message 36: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) Lyndsay wrote: "I deeply disliked the Everneath series. I haven't read the last one and probably won't. My issue is I don't like to abandon characters so I rarely stop a book in the middle. That means for the m..."

I did something similar to what you did with The Selection series, but with the Shatter Me trilogy. I liked the first book, but the second one was going too slow for me, and I was getting bored of the main character's voice. So I went and looked up what happened.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
It's time travel, something that I love. And it's in the UK! How could I not like it?
Sadly, it was awful. The main character Gwen was extremely annoying and the plot was soooo unoriginal. I mean, the most important people in a certain group are named after gems? Never heard that before...

message 38: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Sabrina: Haha, that's a good idea! I should do that with Pretty Little Liars. I read the first book, but I don't want to put up with those girls for an undetermined amount of books.

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:33AM) (new)

Stolen A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

This book beats all of your other books! try a girl who is kidnapped from an airport by a drugged coffee (sounds interesting right?..well its not!) turns out she's kidnapped cause the stranger who kidnapped her is in love with her and wants to marry her!..she tries to get away for a while then instead ends up falling in love with him and gets super depressed when she's rescued!..sorry im ranting but this book was awful!! and just plain weird

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

To all twilight fans do not see the spoiler

(view spoiler)

You people might hate me for this but what can I say. *shrugs* I did not like twilight.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) These Broken Stars - It was HORRIBLE. Worst buddy read of my life. It hardly counts as a space novel as they were in space all of 5 minutes. Total insta-love, making out after 7 chapters or so. Nothing happened. Just wandering around and accomplishing absolutely nothing. A hint of paranormal. An ending that confuses the heck out of me.

message 42: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) Maya wrote: "Sabrina: Haha, that's a good idea! I should do that with Pretty Little Liars. I read the first book, but I don't want to put up with those girls for an undetermined amount of books."

Lol well it worked for me!

message 43: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I also really hated Before I fall and didn't even finish because the main character sucked so much. Same with The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I had to stop that book too I couldn't even finish it

message 45: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Understandable!

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Riya wrote: "I also really hated Before I fall and didn't even finish because the main character sucked so much. Same with The Girl of Fire and Thorns."

Before I Fall was horrible.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the girl of fire and thorns was the one I couldn't finish

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually like Before I Fall I thought it was pretty cool..

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought before I fall was just okay

message 50: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Rachel- yesss these broken stars was horrible. I didn't finish it because it had not plotline, tiny font, and like four hundred pages. it was just too boring. nothing freakin happened.

« previous 1