Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Jeané Sashi
This topic is about Jeané Sashi
Book Issues > Librarian Status

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeané (new)

Jeané Sashi (jeanesashi) | 5 comments I have applied for Librarian Status numerous times and no one has replied to me...that's rude.
I want to know how would I go about making changes to my author page? Will someone please respond to me?

Thank you.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments Jeané Elliott wrote: "I have applied for Librarian Status numerous times and no one has replied to me...that's rude.
I want to know how would I go about making changes to my author page? Will someone please respond t..."

If you are wanting to make changes to "your" author page, you need to claim your author profile.
Go to the author profile and scroll down until you see "Is this you? Let us know."

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) In the meantime, while waiting for staff to get to your profile claiming -- you can post any edits you want made to your author profile here and librarians will handle for you.

Once author profile claimed, you have almost all librarian rights to your author profile and to your own books (exceptions for a few against policy even for librarians things like changing previously published bookcovers and some series features— a long story behind series issues).

They never tell you if librarians are needed, what reasons are needed, if your application was declined, if your application was just not accepted at this time ... you'll only hear if approved.

After claiming your author profile, glancing at librarian manual for policies on editing books, editing your own books as needed and thinking about the edits you would want to do by volunteering as a librarian to help maintain and standardize the goodreads book database (versus just being an author just wanting to maintain their own books) — you might want to reapply with a better idea of "what" you are offering to do to help maintain the gr book catalog with your librarian services.

message 4: by Jeané (new)

Jeané Sashi (jeanesashi) | 5 comments I need an librarian to fix profile and for the profile to read goodreads author. When will someone contact me?

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16336 comments Jeané Elliott wrote: "I need an librarian to fix profile and for the profile to read goodreads author. When will someone contact me?"

Your profile will read "Goodreads author" when you have claimed your profile as Amanda said. In the meantime what, specifically, do you need fixed?

message 6: by Jeané (new)

Jeané Sashi (jeanesashi) | 5 comments I have claimed my profile. I clicked on that link twice. What more am I to do? My book covers are wrong. I would like to write a profile description...etc.

message 7: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Just to be sure, is this the page you have tried to claim? https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
If not, click on the "Is this you? Let us know." link at the bottom of that page and then follow the instructions, which include sending a message of application.

If you have done all that, the higher-ups will have to assist. :-)

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Jeané, librarians have no control over approvals of Goodreads Author status. If you are having a problem with yours, you'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

Also, what do you mean when you say, "My book covers are wrong"? Goodreads policy is to keep all published covers on the site, as users want to shelve the cover of the copy they have. Instead, we add an alternate-cover edition. See http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... and http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85....

As the author (once you have successfully claimed your author page), you will have the ability to change which edition of the book is the default, which will come up in searches by title and show on your author profile. Here's how: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

message 9: by Jeané (new)

Jeané Sashi (jeanesashi) | 5 comments Abcdarian wrote: "Just to be sure, is this the page you have tried to claim? https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
If not, click on the "Is this you? Let us know." link at the bo..."

Yes, that is the correct page that I have been trying to claim for days now to no avail. Mis it that difficult? If so, why?

message 10: by Jeané (new)

Jeané Sashi (jeanesashi) | 5 comments rivka wrote: "Jeané, librarians have no control over approvals of Goodreads Author status. If you are having a problem with yours, you'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

Also, what do you mean..."

I have sent messages via contact page several times without any response.
The covers to by books have been updated and the covers that are showing are not the current covers.
I have also claimed the authors page several times to no avail. What more am I today? I have done all that I have been asked to do and feel as though I am spinning my wheels and going in circles. What more is there to be done? Is it always this difficult to accomplish a task through Goodreads?

message 11: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:46AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) As Rivka said, you can ask librarians to create additional editions for the updated covers (you'll need to either give them a link to the bookcovers or to upload the bookcovers to your photos here on goodreads).

Once those alternate cover editions are created, you'll need to contact goodreads staff to help set them as the default edition (or wait until your author profile is claimed and you can set as default edition yourself following the instructions she linked to).

"Default edition" means that the new cover editions, once set as default, will show on your author page, search results, etc. But any readers shelving or using the older covers won't have their book catalogs vandalized and they can still locate the previously published cover editions if wanted. If neither author (or staff at author's request) specifies a default edition -- goodreads just uses the most popular (rated/shelved) edition.

Setting a default edition, even at author's request, is one thing librarians cannot do.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6557 comments Jeané Elliott wrote: "Yes, that is the correct page that I have been trying to claim for days now to no avail. Mis it that difficult? If so, why? "

Are you getting any emails from Goodreads? Is it possible the emails are in a spam folder somewhere?