YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > Books That SHOULD NOT Be Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
What books do you think should never be movies or that are movies and shouldn't be!?

message 2: by Connie (last edited Jul 24, 2014 10:34PM) (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Honestly, I'm hesitant about The Giver (The Giver #1) by Lois Lowry . It struck me as a book that should stay a book even before I heard about the movie, and the trailers worry me immensely.
Also, I love the crossed out words in Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi , and don't think they can be expressed as powerfully in a film.

message 3: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I agree about the Giver. I've only read half the book and for some reason never picked it back up but I hope they don't mess it up! It's a really good book from what I've read so far.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Yeah, I'm almost too scared to even watch the movie, but I'm too curious not to. If you ever have the chance, you should pick up The Giver again! It's great.

message 5: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I'm also very scared to see it. They better not ruin it): And I definitely will pick it up again!

message 6: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
Yes! The Giver seems to me like a tricky movie to be pulled off, but I'm interested to see if or how they made it work.

message 7: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

If they ruin it ill be very upset!

message 8: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

imo, they already ruined it with the casting. but I'll keep my hopes up

message 9: by Loren (new)

Loren | 38 comments I don't see looking for alaska being made into a movie...it would have to be rated R lol

message 10: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

@Loren definitely! I once had a dream that I would get to direct it and stuff, but, well. It's already being made into a movie. I guess I'll have to find a different book to dream of adapting into a movie! I'm still interested in seeing how they manage to pull it off; I would probably be biased, though, since I had my own ideas.

message 11: by Loren (new)

Loren | 38 comments @amee yea it will interesting!! Do you have any Ideas of actors they should cast??

message 12: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

@Loren I'm just keeping my fingers crossed they don't cast only Caucasian actors; there is literally only one character of color in every John Green book (and it's always pointed out and they're mostly stereotyped even when they're not intended to be), so I hope they diversify the movie cast at least.

message 13: by Loren (new)

Loren | 38 comments @amee yes!! That's so true!!

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Amee wrote: "imo, they already ruined it with the casting. but I'll keep my hopes up"

Jonas looks (way) too old, very reminiscent of the Percy Jackson cast, haha. Just watching the trailers, I can barely tell what's going on. Really apprehensive for this movie D:

message 15: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Connie-Oh gosh the Percy Jackson cast was way too old!!!!

message 16: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Connie wrote: "Amee wrote: "imo, they already ruined it with the casting. but I'll keep my hopes up"

Jonas looks (way) too old, very reminiscent of the Percy Jackson cast, haha. Just watching the trailers, I can..."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Jonas isn't supposed to be 24. Also, I've just googled the movie and found what I think will be the official poster and. Why is Jonas posing with a girl? This isn't supposed to be a love story, ugh.

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Agreed, in one of the trailers I saw Jonas and Fiona kissing, which I am totally not okay with.

message 18: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

omg whaaat? I didn't watch the trailers, but. what. no. nOOOOO. NO. The Giver is supposed to be a romance-free story, that's part of its charm. It's supposed to be about exploring the ways of society and all that deep stuff. Not romance.

message 19: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Amee wrote: "omg whaaat? I didn't watch the trailers, but. what. no. nOOOOO. NO. The Giver is supposed to be a romance-free story, that's part of its charm. It's supposed to be about exploring the ways of socie..."

EXACTLY. My last hope of the movie diminished at that clip. Fiona clearly has a much larger role in the movie than the book, and I'm pretty confused and worried as to how that'll work out.

message 20: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Connie wrote: "Amee wrote: "omg whaaat? I didn't watch the trailers, but. what. no. nOOOOO. NO. The Giver is supposed to be a romance-free story, that's part of its charm. It's supposed to be about exploring the ..."

Same. I mean, I don't mind Fiona having a more important role, but I do mind it if it's just the role of Jonas' love interest. That would suck kind of.

message 21: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I pretty much don't like when any books become movies because they never do it well :(

message 22: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

That's very true. Books will always end up being better but there are rare movies that are almost as good as the book. TFIOS is and Hunger Games are the only books I believe were super close to being as good as the book.
Although they left characters out and are adding someone in the hunger games movies

message 23: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
True I'll give you that- Harry Potter movies were awesome :D

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Riya wrote: "I pretty much don't like when any books become movies because they never do it well :("

I know :/ The best movie of a book to me is honestly just the picture in my head, haha. I know everyone has a varying image in their mind, and directors do their very best, but it's almost always disappointing.
Harry Potter and Catching Fire are my two exceptions.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) I agree about Shatter Me. It's my absolute favorite book of all time but I just don't think a movie could do it justice. But apparently it's going to happen, so hopefully they don't mess it up too much!

message 26: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Connie wrote: "Riya wrote: "I pretty much don't like when any books become movies because they never do it well :("

I know :/ The best movie of a book to me is honestly just the picture in my head, haha. I know ..."

Yeah those were both pretty dang good!

message 27: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments One of my favorite books is 'Dorothy Must Die'. However, I feel like without the right director a film adaptation would be just awful. There would have to be a lot of good CGI and such.

message 28: by Jordy (new)

Jordy | 49 comments FangirlNina wrote: "One of my favorite books is 'Dorothy Must Die'. However, I feel like without the right director a film adaptation would be just awful. There would have to be a lot of good CGI and such."
I'm really looking forward to reading that, is it really good?

message 29: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments @Jordy
IT'S AMAZING!!!

message 30: by Jordy (new)

Jordy | 49 comments FangirlNina wrote: "@Jordy
IT'S AMAZING!!!"

I'm so excited to read it!!!! (:

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Percy jackson

message 32: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments The Penderwicks, one of my favorite childhood books. They'd just mess it up.

message 33: by Lgrenon (new)

Lgrenon In my opinion The Time Traveler's Wife should have never been released as a film. After reading the book I was so looking forward to the film and it felt like such a letdown.

message 34: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
Does anyone else agree that the giver should not have been made into a movie

message 35: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

ME. And I've okay read half the book

message 36: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

I read it in class in like 4th grade

message 37: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

And then I watched the trailer and was very disappointed

message 38: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

The movie looks awful..

message 39: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 21 comments Jordyn wrote: "That's very true. Books will always end up being better but there are rare movies that are almost as good as the book. TFIOS is and Hunger Games are the only books I believe were super close to bei..."
If you are looking for a close adaptation read/watch Stephen King's Pet Sematary. It's the closest thing I've ever seen.

message 40: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Oh cool thanks!

message 41: by Alba (new)

Alba Arango | 14 comments Disney's The Little Mermaid...soooo cute, yet sooo different than the Hans Christian Anderson story. So very different.

And...I agree with Danielle on Pet Sematary. Very good adaptation. :)

message 42: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Alba wrote: "Disney's The Little Mermaid...soooo cute, yet sooo different than the Hans Christian Anderson story. So very different.

And...I agree with Danielle on Pet Sematary. Very good adaptation. :)"

For a reason, I believe. If Disney's Little Mermaid was adapted to be exactly like Andersen's story, it would most likely traumatize children.

message 43: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Alba wrote: "Disney's The Little Mermaid...soooo cute, yet sooo different than the Hans Christian Anderson story. So very different.

And...I agree with Danielle on Pet Sematary. Very good adaptation. :)"

I love the little mermaid! I use to want to be her soo much I would cry because I wasn't her haha!

message 44: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Jordyn wrote: "Alba wrote: "Disney's The Little Mermaid...soooo cute, yet sooo different than the Hans Christian Anderson story. So very different.

And...I agree with Danielle on Pet Sematary. Very good adaptat..."

omg same! I used to pretend I was a mermaid all he time when I was little. I love mermaids. They're still my favorite mythical creatures :D

message 45: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Amee wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Alba wrote: "Disney's The Little Mermaid...soooo cute, yet sooo different than the Hans Christian Anderson story. So very different.

And...I agree with Danielle on Pet Sematary. Ve..."

Haha! Same! Mermaids, Pegasi and unicorns are my favorites!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Erin wrote: "Does anyone else agree that the giver should not have been made into a movie"

The Giver will be really tricky to pull off..and I can already tell that a few things are not right...but I can only hope that it will all pull together alright:)

message 47: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments Oh I have one! Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
Disney bought the rights a few years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing the first movie, but the series is dead after that! Disney do yourself a favor, don't make a movie series out of this. Just...don't.

message 48: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Juliet wrote: "Oh I have one!Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
Disney bought the rights a few years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing the first movie, but the series is dead after that! Disney do yourself a favor, don't make..."

Disney bought it...? That's not going to be so good haha. Yeah I cant really see this series as movies.

message 49: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments Jordyn wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Oh I have one!Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
Disney bought the rights a few years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing the first movie, but the series is dead after that! Disney do yourself a fa..."

I know right! xD Whenever I think of Disney I think...childish, little kiddie stuff.

message 50: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Juliet wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Oh I have one!Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
Disney bought the rights a few years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing the first movie, but the series is dead after that! Disney d..."

Haha yeah exactly...!