YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > Ebooks or Physical Books

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
I choose physical books because I love the way the feel when turning the pages and the smell of the bookstore. Ebooks are okay and more convenient but if I read on my kindle I NEED to buy the physical book like right after haha.

message 2: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I prefer physical books since they're real, but ebooks are amazingly convenient so I use them a lot! If I LOVE a book though and only have the kindle edition, I will buy the real copy as well though :)

message 3: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
Generally, if the book has an ugly cover or if it's cheaper as an ebook, I'll buy the ebook (even though I don't have an ereader and am stuck with using my tablet which is HORRIBLE for reading) but if I really like the cover or jacket design, I'll want to have the physical copy so it can AT LEAST sit on my bookshelves and look pretty. Otherwise, I don't really care; I always borrow from the library and just get what I can get. As long as it's a book, I'm good!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) I just bought a kindle. I like the convenience of ebooks and I like that I can have so many books on such a tiny device. But I'm cheap, so I don't generally buy books (unless I love them and I need them to be near me so I can play with them again!) and if I do, it's going to be a physical book.

I wish my library had a better ebook selection. It's okay, but not good. I thought about trying out Kindle Unlimited, but of the 226 books on my to read list, only 8 are offered on it, so...no.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I don't know.... I love reading on my iPad because it's just so much quicker than going to the library or a book store... And it's not as heavy ;) and it's less storage space used up!

I read faster on physical copies though and prettier covers. The reading experience is a bit different.

message 6: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Miss Perfection (Rachel) wrote: "I don't know.... I love reading on my iPad because it's just so much quicker than going to the library or a book store... And it's not as heavy ;) and it's less storage space used up!

I read fast..."

I agree it's way easier to buy an ebook rather than having to go out and buy one! But to me it's worth it haha

It's a very different experience! When holding the book and looking at the tan pages I feel like in in the book but reading off a screen takes that away some how. I don't mind having books take up space (;

message 7: by Milan (new)

Milan (thehopelesspizza) | 144 comments I love physical books because I love the smell (old or new) and I love the feel of pages. :)

message 8: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Milan-Same here

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Milan wrote: "I love physical books because I love the smell (old or new) and I love the feel of pages. :)"

quite true

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I hate damaging my books!! So much easier if they're ebooks xD

message 11: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I do have an ereader, but I'll always prefer tangible books. I just like reading that way, and if all your books are ebooks, then you can't show off your collection! Plus I don't usually buy too many ebooks during the school year because I can't have my kindle in class.

message 12: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
This can go both ways.

I love physical books because I love the feeling of a book.
I love ebooks because I can get as many books as I want over a course of time

message 13: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Maya wrote: "I do have an ereader, but I'll always prefer tangible books. I just like reading that way, and if all your books are ebooks, then you can't show off your collection! Plus I don't usually buy too ma..."

I agree and do that as well!! Who wouldn't want their own library of books in their room :D
It is a lot easier using an ereader at school so I do the same for a lot of the year but I always buy the physical book as well(:

message 14: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments I don't even own an Ereader xD I just don't need it. It's a waste of money for me! I love my books! I need to smell, and feel them!

message 15: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Haha I have a kindle but I use the kindle app on my phone more than the actual kindle. YES SAME-I love the feel, smell, and look of books WAY better. But ereaders are more convenient at times

message 16: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
Same, but I tend to read newish books on my kindle, I will not read a e-book if the book is old(It just feels wrong)

message 17: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I always get the physical books if they are new! Its feels wrong not to haha

These Violent Delights (Robin) Ebooks are great because they don't take up space, they're cheap, and you don't have to wait to recieve the book you want.

On the other hand, physical copy books are great because they look great on your shelves, if something happens where your site crashes/you lose your email or password/site gets accidently deleted you won't lose your books, and I love the overall feel of a book in my hands and the feel of turning the pages.

I want to buy an ereader someday and not have to settle for the ereading apps on my phone (which is a tiny screen compared to an ereader screen). I have a lot of ebooks, mostly free ebooks, and I have a lot of physical copy books. I won't stop buying books in either format.

message 19: by Janessa (new)

Janessa I like both! I have a Nook that I like to read on, but I probably have more physical books on my shelf then I do ebooks on my Nook. I love the smell of a physical book and the best part is that you don't have to pluck them in, in order to charge the battery so that you can continue reading to your hearts content!

message 20: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Robin wrote: "Ebooks are great because they don't take up space, they're cheap, and you don't have to wait to recieve the book you want.

On the other hand, physical copy books are great because they look great..."

That's true its less a wait to get them! Which is why I say they are more convenient!

Yeah exactly there is a possibility of losing all your books which would be awful! Plus having ebooks doesn't feel like you have books because they are all on a device.

message 21: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn Physical. I hate e-readers, although I might want to get an iPad and I'll probably download some on there.

There's just no better feeling than holding a book in your hands.

message 22: by Hailey (new)

Hailey | 2 comments PHYSICAL.

message 23: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Erin-you're so right. No better feeling.

message 24: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (last edited Aug 20, 2014 09:07PM) (new)

Erin wrote: "Physical. I hate e-readers, although I might want to get an iPad and I'll probably download some on there.

There's just no better feeling than holding a book in your hands."

TOTALLY AGREE THERES NO BETTER FEELING