Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Escape Artist (Escape Artist #1)
This topic is about The Escape Artist
Archive - Group Reads > Escape Artist, The by Brad Meltzer - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Mar 26, 2018 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  Paullin | 1299 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Escape Artist by Brad Meltzer and your hostess is Gem.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contacts spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.

Summary

Two hours outside of Washington, DC is the mortuary for the U.S. government's most top-secret and high profile cases. America's most important funeral home. To work there, mortician Jim "Zig" Zwicharowski has one rule: never let a case get personal. But when a new body arrives--of young female sergeant Nola Brown, who was a childhood friend of Zig's daughter--Zig can't help himself. Looking closely at Nola's body, he realizes immediately: this isn't Nola. Indeed, his daughter's friend is still alive. And on the run. Zig's discovery reveals a sleight of hand being played at the highest levels of power--and traces back through history to a man named Harry Houdini. "Nola, you were right. Keep running."

Lisa Malmquist | 18 comments I had never read this author before but really enjoyed this book. It is an interesting mystery with a side of historical info included. Has anyone read it read for the book discussion?

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm Gem and will be leading the discussion. I read slowly so don't let me hold you back, I'll be plugging away and commenting when I can.

message 4: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa wrote: "I had never read this author before but really enjoyed this book. It is an interesting mystery with a side of historical info included. Has anyone read it read for the book discussion?"

I started it this morning and finished the first chapter, it's got me intrigued. I love when a book captures my interest in the first chapter.

Lisa Malmquist | 18 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I had never read this author before but really enjoyed this book. It is an interesting mystery with a side of historical info included. Has anyone read it read for the book discussion?..."Yes, I know what you mean!
Look forward to hearing what you think as you go!

message 6: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm enjoying this book more than any I have read in the past year or so. With every chapter there seems to be more questions.

Lisa Malmquist | 18 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm enjoying this book more than any I have read in the past year or so. With every chapter there seems to be more questions."I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.I"m glad they had it here on Goodreads or I may not have found it!

message 8: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I"m about 1/2 way through and absolutely loving this book. I can't wait to discover the answers to all the questions that have arisen.

Lisa Malmquist | 18 comments I feel like it really kept me guessing!

message 10: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Exactly. I like books like that, I hate when I can figure it out in the first few chapters.

Barbara Sousa | 16 comments I just picked up the audible edition of this book, and I plan to listen to it when I'm done with my current book (probably about mid-month). I've read several of his books before -- I really enjoyed most of them. Looking forward to starting The Escape Artist.

message 12: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara wrote: "I just picked up the audible edition of this book, and I plan to listen to it when I'm done with my current book (probably about mid-month). I've read several of his books before -- I really enjoye..."

You won't be sorry!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Malmquist | 18 comments Yes, agreed, if you can figure it out right away, after that then what!
Also, Barbara, hope you enjoy it, look forward to hearing what you think.

message 14: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow, that was awesome!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments I read this book and I really enjoyed it. It sucked me in right from the beginning.

message 16: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "I read this book and I really enjoyed it. It sucked me in right from the beginning."
It did me too. I love when a book does that.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Me too. If a book doesn't keep my interest it takes me long to finish or maybe dump it.

message 18: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Me too. If a book doesn't keep my interest it takes me long to finish or maybe dump it."

I'm learning to dump. I have a really difficult time not finishing a book that I start... but I'm learning.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Me too. If a book doesn't keep my interest it takes me long to finish or maybe dump it."

I'm learning to dump. I have a really difficult time not fin..."

I'm doing the same because as my husband tells me if I don't I'll never get it out of my head and he suffers from it as well. LOL

This book had quite a few moments where I wanted to yell but in a protective mode. I'm not sure how much to say without spoiling so I think I'll wait until everyone else is done. So many good parts :)

message 20: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "This book had quite a few moments where I wanted to yell but in a protective mode. I'm not sure how much to say without spoiling so I think I'll wait until everyone else is done. So many good parts :) "
Agreed!

Barbara Sousa | 16 comments I just started this book on audio today. So far, so good. The characters and the situation are really intriguing (and very unique). I think I'm going to like this one! (And it doesn't hurt that Scott Brick is narrating!)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1260 comments I started this last night.

Barbara Sousa | 16 comments Sorry it took so long, but I had little chance to listen to the audiobook for a couple of weeks. I did finish "The Escape Artist," and enjoyed it very much. I especially liked the characterization and motivations for both Zig and Nola. The author did a good job in balancing the "keeping you guessing" element of the mystery with making it fairly realistic. I had figured out the "suspect" way before I probably should have, but this didn't detract from the story. This is one of the best non-legal Brad Meltzer books I have read (heard)! I hope all of you enjoyed it as well.