Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Let Me Lie
This topic is about Let Me Lie
Archive - Group Reads > Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Mar 26, 2018 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh and your hostess is Icewineanne.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contacts spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.

Summary

The police say it was suicide.
Anna says it was murder.
They're both wrong.

One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since.

Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to question her parents’ deaths. But by digging up their past, she’ll put her future in danger. Sometimes it’s safer to let things lie…

message 2: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Mar 27, 2018 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Icewineanne | 658 comments Mod
Hello everyone,
I’m very excited to begin reading this as a group. As a kindness to other readers please avoid giving away spoilers during the first two weeks or please do use the formatting spoiler alerts.
Clare MacIntosh’s first two books were brilliant reads, hoping this is another one!
Looking forward to reading your posts as we go along.
Cheers & enjoy 😊

message 3: by Jenny (last edited Apr 23, 2018 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) I received my copy of this book yesterday. I am looking forward to reading it and joining in the discussions of Let Me Lie.

message 4: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

My copy is on the way as well, from the library. Great that you can join in Jenny, looking forward to reading this with you 😊

message 5: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I've got my copy download but started on the two books that I'm leading the discussions on. Sometimes being responsible is for the birds, lol.

message 6: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I've got my copy download but started on the two books that I'm leading the discussions on. Sometimes being responsible is for the birds, lol."

That’s so true - Hah!

message 7: by Skye (new) - added it

Skye | 200 comments I should have ordered this from Barnes and Noble; I loved her other book.

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Mar 29, 2018 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye wrote: "I should have ordered this from Barnes and Noble; I loved her other book."

I Let You Go was a fantastic book. Her second book, I See You, was enjoyable but still more of an average read for me. I’m hoping she bounces back with this one .

message 9: by Skye (new) - added it

Skye | 200 comments I only read her first book, but the choices this month are all wonderful.

message 10: by Georgia (new) - added it

Georgia | 46 comments Not as good as her first two books. As usual Mackintosh takes ordinary lives and makes extraordinary tense situations occur. Anna's parents have committed suicide as ruled by the coroner. As most modern psychological thrillers go, we must live with Anna's angst, anger, and suspicions which drive her to engage a retired police detective. This book takes off slowly , becomes more interesting in the middle, but then makes me mad at the end. 3***

message 11: by Skye (new) - added it

Skye | 200 comments I have noticed that many writers can't maintain their momentum over time.

message 12: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Georgia wrote: "Not as good as her first two books. As usual Mackintosh takes ordinary lives and makes extraordinary tense situations occur. Anna's parents have committed suicide as ruled by the coroner. As most m..."

That’s how I felt about her second book 3 ⭐️........but because her first book was so good, I’m convinced she can knock another one out of the park- and I’m hoping this is another home run.
Sorry to read that the ending disappointed you Georgia. Would you still pick up Clare MacIntosh’s next book?

Sania | 19 comments I finished this last month but I did not like it as much as her earlier books. Usually I love her books and was excited to read the latest one. This was also an enjoyable read, but the story felt too far fetched and the ending was predictable.

message 14: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sania wrote: "I finished this last month but I did not like it as much as her earlier books. Usually I love her books and was excited to read the latest one. This was also an enjoyable read, but the story felt t..."

I’m just beginning this, it’s interesting so far but i agree Sania, it’s a bit dubious........but we’ll see 😉

Jenny (diggensjenny) I have finished this book today. It was the first book I had read of Clare Mackintosh, and I like it. However, I was not engaged in the plot or the characters. I am not sure that I would read another book by this author. For me, I only gave it 3 ★

message 16: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2018 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny wrote: "I have finished this book today. It was the first book I had read of Clare Mackintosh, and I like it. However, I was not engaged in the plot or the characters. I am not sure that I would read anoth..."

I’m about 65% done. So far it’s been entertaining but I’m not finding any surprises. Usually I try to not guess where plots go, but even without trying.......so far I’ve guessed every turn. Still hoping that she can surprise me, in a good way, at the end.

How did you feel about the characters in the beginning Jenny? Did you like Anna? And what about Mark?
I do like Murray & the idea of a semi-retired cop investigating crimes. I would definitely read another book featuring him.....it wouldn’t have to be a domestic noir.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I have finished this book today. It was the first book I had read of Clare Mackintosh, and I like it. However, I was not engaged in the plot or the characters. I am not sure that I wo..."

At the beginning of the book, I did like the characters. The book was a little bit slow for me, and I started to lose enjoyment after chapter five. However, I did enjoy Anna and Murray characters. Mark I think was little too wimpy. I love to have a book written that Murray was the principal character.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yes!! I'm loving Murray!!

Jenny (diggensjenny) Mary wrote: "Jenny wrote: “However, I did enjoy Anna and Murray characters. Mark I think was little too wimpy. I love to have a book written that Murray was the principal character.”

I agree, Murray was a grea..."

Not only that Clare Mackintosh did not portray her characters very well - the plot did not flow very well. I also, knew who the killer was very early in the book.

The cover and the synopsis of the book caught my eye. However, it did not live up to my first impression.

What was your trigger that made you want to read this book?

message 20: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Apr 10, 2018 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Her first book I Let You Go was a terrific read & very popular. I think that many were attracted to this one based on having read that book.

I was surprised that you started lose interest after ch. 5 Jenny. That was p. 36...... only 7% in 🤣

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm enjoying this book. I also really liked her previous book I See You.

message 22: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

The author’s note at the end said she got this idea from a true story of a man who disappeared, was declared dead but then was found to still be alive & had a new life in Panama.
I’m very surprised! Has anyone else heard of this story or looked into it? Must google this.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Icewineanne wrote: "The author’s note at the end said she got this idea from a true story of a man who disappeared, was declared dead but then was found to still be alive & had a new life in Panama.
I’m very surprise..."

I have heard of the guy with the canoe. It was quite the story at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/canoe

message 24: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kirsten wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "The author’s note at the end said she got this idea from a true story of a man who disappeared, was declared dead but then was found to still be alive & had a new life in Panama..."

Terrific Kirsten! Thanks so much for the link-heading over now...

Jenny (diggensjenny) Kirsten wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "The author’s note at the end said she got this idea from a true story of a man who disappeared, was declared dead but then was found to be still alive & had a new life in Panama..."

I remember this story it was a great scandal at the time. Anne Darwin lost everything for money. The sad part of this story the money did not give her any happiness.

message 26: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I started this book yesterday, by page 35 I think I've figured out who the bad guy is and possible the motive. I'm on page 86 and hope to read another good chunk today. I won't be making any more comments until I see if my suspicion is correct because if I'm wrong I don't want to know ahead of time.

I am finding the perspectives the author, two first person as well as the third person narrative very interesting. I'm not a fan of first person perspective but this one is very well done. I'll check back in within a few days (I'm hoping to read a lot today between loads of laundry and tomorrow as I have an unexpected day off).

message 27: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I started this book yesterday, by page 35 I think I've figured out who the bad guy is and possible the motive. I'm on page 86 and hope to read another good chunk today. I won't be making any more c..."

I’ll be interested to see what you think when you’re finished Gem - and if you guessed right!!
In my review i gave it 3 stars. I was deliberately evasive, giving almost no details about the plot so that it does spoil the twists along the way or the ending.

Tonya Mathis | 75 comments This is the first book I've read by this author. I actually really liked it. I think it would make a good movie.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Tonya wrote: "This is the first book I've read by this author. I actually really liked it. I think it would make a good movie."

Try her earlier book I See You, it was very good too.

message 30: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Oh, and how the bad guy did it.

message 31: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Oh my gosh, that was an AWESOME book! And I was dead wrong about who and how, but I did get the motive right, lol. I really, really enjoyed this one and am going to have to read more by this author.

message 32: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clare gave away the motive right from the beginning but the twisted relationships surprised me too. All 3 of her books are slightly different. It will be interesting to see what she writes next.

Helen Starbuck | -6 comments The ending was very frustrating to me and confusing. But maybe some incentive to read her next book. What was your take on it.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I would like to see a series starring Murray, by far my favorite character (after Rosie).

message 35: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kirsten wrote: "I would like to see a series starring Murray, by far my favorite character (after Rosie)."

I really hope her publishers push for a series too Kirsten!

message 36: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Helen wrote: "The ending was very frustrating to me and confusing. But maybe some incentive to read her next book. What was your take on it."

Helen, thanks for commenting. If you pm me I’ll give you my thoughts. Don’t want to post any spoilers for those who haven’t had a chance to read the book yet.

Helen Starbuck | -6 comments Kirsten wrote: "I would like to see a series starring Murray, by far my favorite character (after Rosie)."
I agree, I could really relate to him. The other characters, less so.

message 38: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (marquis784) | 35 comments I’ve been wanting to read this but have so many others that I haven’t started yet. These comments are making me want to put down one that I’m reading!

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1202 comments I really enjoyed this. I agree my favorite character was Murrey.

message 40: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "I’ve been wanting to read this but have so many others that I haven’t started yet. These comments are making me want to put down one that I’m reading!"

It was well worth it, in my opinion.

message 41: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments I plan tomstart this next. I keep hearing how good her books are.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I did not enjoy reading this book. The only character I got engaged with was Murray. The other characters were too unbelievable to me.

message 43: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Britney wrote: "I plan tomstart this next. I keep hearing how good her books are."

Hope you enjoy it Britney!

message 44: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly wrote: "I’ve been wanting to read this but have so many others that I haven’t started yet. These comments are making me want to put down one that I’m reading!"

She’s an author i would definitely add to your reading list Kelly 😊

message 45: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2018 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny wrote: "I did not enjoy reading this book. The only character I got engaged with was Murray. The other characters were too unbelievable to me."

Did you read I Let You Go Jenny?

Jenny (diggensjenny) Kirsten and Icewineanne the only book I have read of Clare Mackintosh is Let Me Lie. I am little nervous to read another book of hers.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jenny wrote: "Kirsten and Icewineanne the only book I have read of Clare Mackintosh is Let Me Lie. I am little nervous to read another book of hers."

I See You was really good. I haven't read any of her others.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Kirsten wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Kirsten and Icewineanne the only book I have read of Clare Mackintosh is Let Me Lie. I am little nervous to read another book of hers."

I See You was really good. I haven't read any ..."

Kirsten, I will try reading I See You and let you know my views.