What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Great Brain (Great Brain, #1)
This topic is about The Great Brain
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Childrens about 3 brothers growing up in mid 1800s usa; think same vibe/era as Tom Sawyer but not as mischievous; kids purposefully getting sick, emergency amputations, bead belts, and the prospect of indoor plumbing. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Reinhardt (emmhardt) I think it was written in the 1st person from the perspective of the youngest of three brothers. It was comprised of multiple stories rather than a full overarching narrative (i think). One of the stories told is how when one boy got sick, the other two were forced to stay in bed with him until they all got sick, and once someone felt better, they could leave the bed. The youngest was upset because he never got sick, so he was often stuck in bed the longest. So one day, he finds out his friend is sick and sneaks into his friend's bedroom through the window so that his friend can cough on him and get him sick. He does not get sick so he goes back a few days later to get coughed on again. This works and so he is the first sick and subsequently, the first out of bed. This particular sickness gave you a sore throat when you had it, so when the youngest brother was better, he went and ate the heel of a loaf of bread with butter and sugar on it smugly in the face of his still-sick brothers.]

Other plot details that I can't remember the whole context for include:
one boy getting am Indian (read: native american) beaded belt as a present and the other two boys trying desperately to barter him for it; indoor plumbing becoming a thing and local townsfolk being very worried as to whether or not it will make the whole house smell; and a local boy who is playing with the youngest in an abandoned barn (i think?) steps on a rusted nail and eventually his foot becomes so infected that he gets it amputated because he waited to long to tell any adults when it first happened (he would have gotten in trouble for playing in an area he wasn't supposed to).

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna | 207 comments Emma wrote: "I think it was written in the 1st person from the perspective of the youngest of three brothers. It was comprised of multiple stories rather than a full overarching narrative (i think). One of the ..."

This is one of The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald, probably the first one.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Reinhardt (emmhardt) Anna wrote: "Emma wrote: "I think it was written in the 1st person from the perspective of the youngest of three brothers. It was comprised of multiple stories rather than a full overarching narrative (i think)..."
That's the one! Thank you!