21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > May 2018 Open Pick Nominations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2631 comments Mod
Nominations are now open until March 28th for the May 2018 Open Pick.

Nominating guidelines:
- Fiction (original & translation, if applicable) first published between January 1, 2000 and May 1, 2017. For translations the latter date must be an English edition.
- One nomination per person (please do not nominate or vote for a book unless you are certain you can read and discuss if it wins)
- A book this group has not yet read (see group bookshelf)

If you are nominating, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name with hyperlink to book]

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2624 comments Mod
Thanks Marc

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments I nominate Animal's People (might as well try again :) )

message 4: by Hugh (new)

I nominate Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (which has been sitting on my to-read shelf for a while).

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan And I second Homegoing, just waiting to be read in Kindle.

message 6: by Marc (new)

Thanks for the nominations!

message 7: by Marc (new)

I nominate Vernon God Little--seems like an earlier 21st century book this group might appreciate based on what I've heard/read.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Rotter (themagpie45) | 54 comments Thanks to your nomination, I put this on my Kindle. It's so far back on my Booker TBR list, it was lost.

message 9: by Marc (new)

Ha! That happens to me all the time. I still haven't figured out a system for prioritizing my TBR list, so new additions just end up burying older ones.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments I use a tbr jar. Believe it or not it works but obviously if you leave things to fate there are greater chances of dnfing a book

message 11: by Marc (new)

A TBR jar? That sounds pretty awesome. My usual "problem" is that I find an author I like and then I want to read everything by them. Also, there are books you purchase/receive that call to you more strongly at certain times than others. So, there are the unread books (physical & electronic) already acquired, the unacquired ones I've listed as wanting to read, and then the steady stream of GR nominations and group readings. Really, it's an embarrassment of riches. Not so much a problem as a buffet where I want to eat everything...

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments Marc wrote: "A TBR jar? That sounds pretty awesome. My usual "problem" is that I find an author I like and then I want to read everything by them. Also, there are books you purchase/receive that call to you mor..."

I have the same problem but the TBR Jar (basically you write all the titles of your unread books and place them in a jar and just pull out a title) It requires a huge amount of discipline because there's the possibility of waiting ages to read the desired read on the TBR - one case is that Jonathan Franzen's Freedom was in the pile for a whooping six before it was chosen. In order to combat this, in December I hold a free for all - generally I devote the month to graphic novel and novellas (for some weird reason my TBR jar hates those)

The main advantage though is that you will read books which you have been putting off and it does decimate the TBR list. Obviously the less you buy, the bigger the chance you have of reading that desired book.

message 13: by Hugh (new)

I have a numbered list and try to keep the physical books in order but some get preferential treatment. I still have unread books bought over 6 months ago.

message 14: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2102 comments Mod
Hugh wrote: "I have a numbered list and try to keep the physical books in order but some get preferential treatment. I still have unread books bought over 6 months ago."

6 months? Seriously, 6 months? I need other people to tell me that Hugh is not the norm, because I have unread books that I bought over 30 years ago....

message 15: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments I buy books on my Kindle which means I buy them about 10 seconds before I start reading them! I decide what to buy by managing a to-read list which is simpler to delete from when I realise a book has been there for years. I also read paper books, but nothing on the pile by my chair in the lounge has been there for more than 3 months and those are ones my wife passed to me and I am not completely sure I want to read them! Basically, I don’t buy a book unless I plan to read it almost immediately. I guess this is really for another discussion, though?

message 16: by Whitney (last edited Mar 27, 2018 12:44AM) (new)

Neil wrote: "I guess this is really for another discussion, though?.."

Yes. Thanks, Neil, got a little derailed there. Back to nominations! I will open a thread in the general chat if people want to continue to chime in on the side discussion. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments Neil wrote: "I buy books on my Kindle which means I buy them about 10 seconds before I start reading them! I decide what to buy by managing a to-read list which is simpler to delete from when I realise a book h..."

Yes I think it's better to open a thread on reading habits. :)

As for purchasing books I want, I have my bookdepository wishlist for that, which I revisit every month or so (currently that's got 7 books, which is good) the only time I indulge in reckless book spending is when the Women's prize, Goldsmith's or man booker longlist is announced (although I did buy the whole Republic of Consciousness longlist this year as nearly all the books were at a good price)

message 18: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Whitney - I was having a go at myself, not at you (in case you thought I was being rude!)

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments Whitney wrote: "Hugh wrote: "I have a numbered list and try to keep the physical books in order but some get preferential treatment. I still have unread books bought over 6 months ago."

6 months? Seriously, 6 mon..."

Last one before we stick to the main chat?? I got rid of all long term unread books. The oldest is Adam Levin's The Instructions, which I bought in 2010. Every time I pull a piece of paper out the jar The Instructions cover pops in my head.

message 20: by Marc (new)

So, was your Animal's People nomination from the TBR jar, Robert?

Thanks for the separate thread, Whitney!

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 263 comments Whitney wrote: "...I need other people to tell me that Hugh is not the norm, because I have unread books that I bought over 30 years ago ..."

I just commented on the other thread, but even if Hugh is the norm, you are not alone, Whitney. And no, I'm not getting rid of all of them. I still have hope!

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Neil wrote: "Whitney - I was having a go at myself, not at you (in case you thought I was being rude!)"

No, not at all, Neil - I appreciate that you were self-aware enough to point out how off-track the commenting was :-)

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

message 24: by Hugh (last edited Mar 29, 2018 01:50AM) (new)

Nominations are now closed. The poll is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 25: by Marc (new)

Thanks for the nomination, Kirsten!

And thanks for kicking off the polling, Hugh.

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments Marc wrote: "So, was your Animal's People nomination from the TBR jar, Robert?

Thanks for the separate thread, Whitney!"

Just saw this. No actually I read it back in 2008 and I think it's a fantastic book that everyone should read :)

message 27: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Moseley | 60 comments Robert wrote: "Marc wrote: "So, was your Animal's People nomination from the TBR jar, Robert?

Just saw this. No actually I read it back in 2008 and I thi..."

I too read it years ago and loved it. I still remember so much of it.

message 28: by Hugh (new)

Homegoing has won the vote

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments Hugh wrote: "Homegoing has won the vote"

That's been on my TBR pile for the last two years so at least I've got a chance to read it :)

message 30: by Marc (new)

I think this group will quite enjoy that selection. I certainly was impressed by it.

message 31: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Moseley | 60 comments Marc wrote: "I nominate Vernon God Little--seems like an earlier 21st century book this group might appreciate based on what I've heard/read."

Great weird, OZ author..

Lights Out in Wonderland
LOVE this Book, but also liked Vernon God Little by D.B.C. Pierre

message 32: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Moseley | 60 comments Marc wrote: "So, was your Animal's People nomination from the TBR jar, Robert?

I loved this book, read years ago, and still fairly vivid in my mind.

message 33: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikereads) Hugh wrote: "Homegoing has won the vote"

Great, I'm in!