CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > w/o March 23 to March 29, 2018

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4332 comments Mod
Greetings readers!!

It has been a great week of reading and discussion as we gear up for Canada Reads which starts on Monday! Check out the folders relating to the CR meet up, short list and individual threads for each book. This coming week will be VERY exciting as we see which book is voted off each day and which is crowned the book to open your eyes!!! Add your thoughts to the prediction thread. Which books do you have left? Watch for more details about the debates and join in the fun!!

What else have you been reading? what is next?

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra | 864 comments Happy weekend! I'm going over to Vancouver Island in the morning and probably won't have time to post here before I go, so I am posting tonight.
I hope everyone had a good reading week.

This week, I finished Beartown and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about so much more than hockey (thankfully).
I also finished a completely bizarre and wonderful story, Fever Dream. I've got a few ideas as to what this was supposed to mean but, in truth, I don't know whether I am on the right track or not. It's a truly unique story.

I started listening to The Girl on the Train as my jogging book and am finding it absolutely perfect for jogging. The story is so twisted that it's fun.

I found a mystery book on my bookshelf. I have no idea how it got there. It's new, I can't remember buying it or receiving it from anyone, nor do I remember the title. It's an interesting history of a house in Victoria, The Spencer Mansion: A House, a Home, and an Art Gallery.
With luck, I hope to be able to go see the house while I'm in Victoria this weekend.

message 3: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Mar 23, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2125 comments Petra wrote: "This week, I finished Beartown and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about so much more than hockey (thankfully)."

I picked this book up to read with my 10-year-old son. Going by A Man Called Ove, there shouldn't be anything inappropriate for him in it (I hope!).

message 4: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Mar 23, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2125 comments Last night, I finished Forgiveness, which was the last of the Canada Reads books for me. After all the required reading lately, I'm now starting something just for fun: The Eyre Affair.

I've been listening to Before We Were Yours this week, which is turning out to be a mediocre read in my opinion.

message 5: by Louise (last edited Mar 23, 2018 06:12AM) (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I picked this book up to read with my 10-year-old son. Going by A Man Called Ove, there shouldn't be anything inappropriate for him in it (I hope!). ."

Oh Allison, there might be, regarding Beartown. I don't have children so I'm no expert on what is appropriate or not, and at what ages but perhaps someone else can chime in.

message 6: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments Louise wrote: "Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I picked this book up to read with my 10-year-old son. Going by A Man Called Ove, there shouldn't be anything inappropriate for him in it (I hope!). ."

Oh All..."

Yes, Allison, a major theme is sexual violence, with some physical violence in the mix too - it's fairly dark.

message 7: by Petra (last edited Mar 23, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

Petra | 864 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I picked this book up to read with my 10-year-old son. Going by A Man Called Ove, there shouldn't be anything inappropriate for him in it (I hope!).
.."

I hate to say it, but I think there is. It's an intense story, not about hockey and the subject is above a 10-year old, I think.

message 8: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments This week, I finished An American Marriage. Had really been looking forward to it as I'd loved Tayari Jones' previous book. It was fine, but not amazing.

I also finished and very much enjoyed Shrewed: A Wry and Closely Observed Look at the Lives of Women and Girls, a collection of feminist essays. It was an 'easy' read but a thought-provoking one. I also went to an event earlier this week that the author was speaking at, so it was a great combo.

I've just begun The Garden of the Finzi-Continis. I began reading it when I was tired, so I'm not sure yet what I think of it. Quite dense prose!

message 9: by Petra (new)

Petra | 864 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I'm now starting something just for fun: The Eyre Affair..."

I enjoyed the first 2 books of this series and really should get back to it.
I hope you enjoy it, Allison.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 957 comments This week I finished reading An American Marriage and Forgiveness. I'm all set for Canada Reads!

I also read TransAtlantic. I really loved McCann's Let the Great World Spin; this novel wasn't quite up to that level, but it was a beautiful, quiet book that built up steam as it went along. (And part of it was set in NL!)

I'm currently reading When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir. It is intense, amazing, heartbreaking, infuriating... I'm only about halfway through but I highly recommend it.

Last night I also started reading The Empty Room, which Goodreads was kind enough to recommend to me so I can use it for bingo (square B4)! :-) I've been wanting to read another book by Lauren B. Davis, and so far it's very good.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2125 comments Oh geez! Thanks @Petra @Louise @Emmkay. I was hoping for a nice heartwarming story with some hockey in the mix. I guess I won't be reading it with him after all!

message 12: by ✿✿✿May (last edited Mar 23, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

✿✿✿May  | 991 comments Happy Friday!!
This week I finished Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery and The Monk of Mokha in audio and Precious Cargo: My Year of Driving the Kids on School Bus 3077 in paper, my last book for Canada Reads. Looking forward to the debates next week and meeting some of you at on Day 1 and the finale.
Starting Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead and Chaos Monkeys: Obscene Fortune and Random Failure in Silicon Valley in audio and Lily and the Octopus in paper for my in-person book club.
Have a great weekend!

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments This week I finished Innocence on Trial: The Framing of Ivan Henry which is a scary account of how an innocent man can be kept in prison for 26 years and then suddenly released with NO help whatsoever to re-integrate into society, no skills to find a job, no pardon or exoneration, nothing. He did eventually, years later, get 8 million dollars but too little too late IMO.

I also read Our Endless Numbered Days which was a bit too warped for my liking. I enjoyed the writing at first but then the story got boring, then warped and you see the ending coming a mile away.

Now I am reading Down Inside: Thirty Years in Canada's Prison Service. The writing is not the best but the topic is of huge interest to me.

And in audio, I'm listening to Dance, Gladys, Dance. I do not recommend the audio version because the narrator's dead pan voice rather kills off any comedic aspect of the book.

I've been reading so many Canadian books these past few months, I'm ready for something completely different.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments This week I read The Great Alone. Here is a bit of my review if you're interested. The rest of it contains spoilers so I won't post that here.

It is certainly a difficult task to write your next book on the heels of one that has found so much success like The Nightingale. I applaud Hannah for being ambitious and trying to write something that varies significantly. The Great Alone was interesting and held my attention, mostly. By the end, I felt it was a book that was trying to be epic but without much epic. The ending in particular was completely predictable and a little too Hollywood for my taste.

I am currently reading a feminine dystopian fiction work entitled Red Clocks. It is certainly different from what I typically read. I haven't decided how much I like it yet... The story follows 5 women in a US where abortion has been made illegal and adoptions can only happen for "2 parent families". Stay tuned for comments either later this weekend or next week.

Looking forward to the CR debates and trying really hard not to whine again about the absence of Seven Fallen Feathers. Oops! I did it again. :)

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments Happy Friday everyone!!

I've been reading Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City, this book is breaking my heart. I would say I need a fun read next but I just got notified that Forgiveness: A Gift from My Grandparents is ready for me to pick up at the library.

I've been reading my son I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness From the Stars in the Sky to the Fish in the Seathis week at bed time and it's been a joy to read such positive books.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments @Megan - I've heard that Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows is fun.... I haven't read it yet though. :)

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Shannon, I actually just read that last month and enjoyed it! It's worth picking up. :)

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments @Megan - will do. :)

I aim to provide quality reco's so I'll try again.... have you read The Dollhouse. I found it to be quite fun.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Shannon, I haven't! I'll add it to by TMR list, I'm always happy for a recommendation from this group! Thank you. :)

message 20: by Ann-Marie (last edited Mar 23, 2018 11:23AM) (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments Hello bookworms!

I was feeling a bit under the weather this week -- which mean a lot of reading time!

I finished up The Great Alone over the weekend and I agree wholeheartedly with you Shannon. However, I now have a serious itch to visit Alaska.

I have a HARD time walking by the express section at the library & unexpectedly meant i brought home Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine which I wound up racing through. There's some dark history to the character but it's seriously funny. I loved Eleanor's naive, accidental wit and observations. A great book to bounce between some of the serious reads we all pick.

American War was my actual goal this week and I have the last 75 pages to finish. I am shocked. I thought I would hate this book, but I actually really like it. One book to open your eyes.... I was rooting for the The Boat People beforehand but this book is book is a huge contender.

In honour of the loss of Stephen Hawking, I started Astrophysics for People in a Hurry on audio. It's WAY above my head so I'm slowly listening in chunks.

Up next this week
1) is my library copy that's been waiting patiently: Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City

2) if I need an alternating light read, I plan to start my book club copy of The Arrangement

Have an amazing time at/ watching CRs everyone!

PS:@ Alison -- don't read Beartown with your 10 yr old! Nope. Great book though. Bullying, sexual assault, homophobia...

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Ann-Marie wrote: "2) if I need an alternating light read, I plan to start my book club copy of The Arrangement.."

Oh, that is a really fun book!

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments @Ann-Marie - I would love to take an adventure trip to Alaska also but not really because of that book. You can kayak by the fjords of ice and whale watch and see the Northern lights. Sounds fun!

I am not sure what to do about American War. I actually have a copy but I am not sure if I want to read it. You and possibly MJ are making me think twice.

message 23: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments Louise wrote: "Ann-Marie wrote: "2) if I need an alternating light read, I plan to start my book club copy of The Arrangement.."

Oh, that is a really fun book!"

Good! My book club says it's a fun read. I really do find I can't do heavy all the time. I need to alternate.

message 24: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments Shannon wrote: "@Ann-Marie - I would love to take an adventure trip to Alaska also but not really because of that book. You can kayak by the fjords of ice and whale watch and see the Northern lights. Sounds fun!

..."

the CR deadline pushed me -- give it a go this weekend @shannon!

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments I just might. :)

message 26: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) @emmkay, good to hear Shrewed: A Wry and Closely Observed Look at the Lives of Women and Girls is good. I've reserved it from the library and am looking forward to reading it.

@Louise, sorry to hear you didn't care for Our Endless Numbered Days. I loved it. What did you find warped about it?

It was a good reading week here, with two enjoyable Canlit choices: The Wives of Bath and a short story collection by Caroline Adderson Pleased to Meet You.

I also re-read a beloved favourite Old Filth and had my first solid 5 star read of the year with Maggie O'Farrell's amazing and heartbreakingThe Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox.

Hope the CR event is everything you've dreamed of!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 246 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished Song of Batoche by Maia Caron and I really enjoyed it.

I then read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I wasn't sure if I would like it. It was classed as young adult and dealing with racism. But all they hype! It was worth it - great read! Very compelling writing- read in two days. I highly recommend it.

For something lighter, finished off the week with Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh.

message 28: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Emmkay - I am glad to hear you enjoyed Shrewed: A Wry and Closely Observed Look at the Lives of Women and Girls. I have it on hold at the library... when i went to pick it up, i found that my hold had run out and it was held for my sil so i am still waiting - lol!

@Shannon - I have not yet got to The Great Alone but at the event i attended, Hannah said that she had to write something very different as she knew it would be difficult to follow the success of The Nightingale.

@Megan - good to read a book on Mindfulness with those other two serious topics!

I have had a bit of a slow week after getting back from vacation last week. I did finish American War and it was perfect that I started this book (my last of the Canada Reads) in South Carolina! I also finished the The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact which was an easy non-fiction with some good ideas of the impact we can have on others.

My favourite this week was an ARC of Every Note Played. Lisa Genova has done it again! She has taught readers about a serious neurologic disease through a fictional story. This book shares the story of a pianist from diagnosis to his death from ALS as well as the impact on his caregivers. Much like Still Alice, Left Neglected and Inside the O'Briens the writer feels like they know the families and can empathize with the challenges of the patients and their families. I found the story very accurate and am so glad to be in Ontario where we support patients like this with home care whereas this character in the US was paying out of pocket for much of his care. Genova is coming to Waterloo next week and I am excited to meet her.

Now i am starting Big Potential: How Transforming the Pursuit of Success Raises Our Achievement, Happiness, and Well-Being and listening to Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-to Book and considering what to read next from my pile of fiction.

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2311 comments Hi everyone!

I fall into the category of people who loved Our Endless Numbered Days. Loved it. I actually had a back and forth with the author, and she sent me her next book, which I shudder to admit I haven't read yet. Life totally gets in the way!

Re: American War, it came around at the end for me. I did not love it, but I DO look forward to hearing this one defended. I'm open minded but not rooting for it just now.

This week I've gotten 90% of the way through two books. The first is my final CR book, The Marrow Thieves. I must say, I'm enjoying it much, much more than I expected to. It's an entertaining read, and well written. I just can't see on my own how it "opens our eyes" compared to some of the other books on the list, however, I'm impressed with Cherie Dimaline's writing competency and look forward to having my eyes opened on this one!

I'm also very close to finishing Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine in audio, and as @Ann-Marie says, it is really fantastic! The writing is outstanding, and the story complex and hilarious and heart-wrenching all a the same time. It's really blown past my expectations, and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to see what happens.

Will finish up all my "required" reading this weekend, and then am left to choose! I'm excited that Woefield Poultry Collective won for April's monthly read. I own it, and will join in. I'm also excited to start soon a Buddy Read of Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, and I'm still itching to get to Tomboy Survival Guide, which I also own. Those are my choices to start soon... Thinking Lean In, but let's see... :)

message 30: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 991 comments @Allison, currently listening to Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, finishing it tonight :)

message 31: by ❀ Susan (new)

I really need to find time for Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine as i keep hearing great things about it!

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 957 comments Eleanor Oliphant is so, so good. I’m glad others here are enjoying it as much as I did!

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2311 comments May wrote: "@Allison, currently listening to Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, finishing it tonight :)"

What do you think of it, @May?

message 34: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Storyheart wrote: "@Louise, sorry to hear you didn't care for Our Endless Numbered Days. I loved it. What did you find warped about it?.."

A man moreorless kidnaps his 8 year old daughter and takes her deep into the woods and tells her the rest of the world is gone. Their relationship was creepy and it was no surprise (view spoiler). Warped, and disturbing.

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "My favourite this week was an ARC of Every Note Played. Lisa Genova has done it again! ."

I LOVE her books. Still Alice still haunts me several years later.

message 36: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - I totally agree. they really tell a story that is sadly so real for many people. We care for many ALS patients so I am hoping my team will read this book too!

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2311 comments Louise wrote: "A man moreorless kidnaps his 8 year old daughter and take..."

Yup, that about sums it up! :)

I thought the writing was very careful and intelligent, despite the disturbing details. I was impressed with how Claire Fuller handled it.

message 38: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 991 comments Allison wrote: "May wrote: "@Allison, currently listening to Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, finishing it tonight :)"

What do you think of it, @May?"

@Allison, I really like it! I'm going to watch the TedTalk videos and go check out the Lean In website :)

message 39: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Allison wrote: "Louise wrote: "A man moreorless kidnaps his 8 year old daughter and take..."

Yup, that about sums it up! :)

I thought the writing was very careful and intelligent, despite the disturbing details...."

I enjoyed the writing at the beginning but then I got bored with the minutiae in the middle when the story wasn't going anywhere, then I moved into uncomfortable numbness when I realized where the story was going.

message 40: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Allison wrote: I thought the writing was very careful and intelligent, despite the disturbing details...."

Me too.

message 41: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 576 comments Hey everyone, I am back home on Canadian soil. I caught a bad flu my last few days in Australia, so it was a very long plane ride home.

I read The Light Between Oceans while in Australia, wanting to read a book that took place in the same country. I enjoyed the book, but thought there was more hype than it actually deserved.

I also finished my final Canada Reads book, Forgiveness which I thought was very powerful. this will be the first time I have read all five books going in to the debates.

Now I have started reading Mudbound which is really good so far

message 42: by ❀ Susan (new)

Welcome back! Sorry to hear you were unwell for the end of your trip!

message 43: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 643 comments I've not been chiming in much of late, but do follow everyone's reading adventures each week. I admire all of you for your dedication to reading! Kudos! Alas I have had a slow reading month. Currently working on Kafka on the Shore. I did not think I would like the strangeness of the story, but it has grabbed my attention. I was plugging away at the Canada reads shortlist and managed 4/5, just haven't finished off The Boat People yet. I was part way through Song of Batoche but had to return it to the library (groan). I hope to get back to it soon! Placed back in the queue...

message 44: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 184 comments I'm late...but better late than never! My cows are calving, so I have been a tad busy. I still manage to find time for reading though. It's the cooking and housework that suffers.

This week I finished Sweeter Than All The World. I plan to read some more Rudy Wiebe in the next month or so, as he is visiting a nearby library in May, and I hope to go meet him. I also read Tomboy Survival Guide. I really enjoyed it, and am very disappointed it did not make the Canada Reads shortlist. It certainly fits the theme. I am now starting All Fall Down for my local book club. It isn't really my usual genre, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm happy to hear so many of you have enjoyed Elinor Oliphant. It is on my TBR, and I think I will have to read it sooner rather than later!

message 45: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1202 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Now I have started reading Mudbound which is really good so far."

@ Heather - it's great you're back safe and sound but sorry to hear about your flu. Mudbound was one of our favourite book club books one year. Great story. Engaging and information wrt racism and slavery. Wonderful characters. Hope you continue to enjoy!!