YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

American Panda
This topic is about American Panda
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > American Panda by Gloria Chao - Restarting June 20th 2018

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

An incisive, laugh-out-loud contemporary debut about a Taiwanese-American teen whose parents want her to be a doctor and marry a Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer despite her squeamishness with germs and crush on a Japanese classmate.

At seventeen, Mei should be in high school, but skipping fourth grade was part of her parents' master plan. Now a freshman at MIT, she is on track to fulfill the rest of this predetermined future: become a doctor, marry a preapproved Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer, produce a litter of babies.

With everything her parents have sacrificed to make her cushy life a reality, Mei can't bring herself to tell them the truth--that she (1) hates germs, (2) falls asleep in biology lectures, and (3) has a crush on her classmate Darren Takahashi, who is decidedly not Taiwanese.

But when Mei reconnects with her brother, Xing, who is estranged from the family for dating the wrong woman, Mei starts to wonder if all the secrets are truly worth it. Can she find a way to be herself, whoever that is, before her web of lies unravels?

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 993 comments Hello, I hope you don't mind me joining!

Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments This sounds pretty good.

message 4: by Lane (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Up to Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Lane (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Up to Chapter 16

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Lane (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:45PM) (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Up to Chapter 23

(view spoiler)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 993 comments End of Chapter 14

Love the idea of omitting both the 4th and 13th chapters! :D (view spoiler)

Linaria | 2189 comments Kate wrote: "End of Chapter 14

Love the idea of omitting both the 4th and 13th chapters! :D [spoilers removed]"

Same! It was an interesting point. I sat there for a few seconds wondering where 13 was. LMAO XD

Linaria | 2189 comments I really like how well Chao seems to be portraying an overbearing Taiwanese family. I love Mei and I hope she gets her chance to live her dreams and do something with dance. Darren is so adorable.

Linaria | 2189 comments CHapter 18
(view spoiler)

Linaria | 2189 comments Chapter 24

(view spoiler)

Linaria | 2189 comments I loved it! (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lane (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 993 comments Clephiro wrote: "CHapter 18
[spoilers removed]"

I'm also happy about this. The way she described Xing as the older brother was really endearing. He really looked out for Mei when they were younger. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 993 comments The end

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments To Ch 8
Enjoying the book so far; it's a cute, fun read. Reminds me a lot of When Dimple Met Rishi actually. However, I can't really love Darren yet. (view spoiler) Still enjoying it though; it will be a good recommendation for fun summer reading.

message 17: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments to Ch 15
Seriously, I just can't get into Darren and Mei. He has no personality at all and they have approximately zero chemistry. She does so much better with some of the other characters. I like the story she's telling about growing up in a Taiwanese family; it's obvious she's drawing on a lot of experience, but everything else is just... meh. I feel like a lot of the minor plot points and writing are cliched. I'm disappointed, even though I'm still enjoying the story, but this book got ridiculously good reviews from everywhere.

message 18: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments through Ch 20
This is hard to review for me because I am a white American-born and descended person, and have very little experience with Asian culture. Personally, I tend to applaud (view spoiler)

message 19: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Fin
Both loved and hated this book. Really felt for Mei through her family's (view spoiler) Now that I'm done being critical, I really did enjoy the book. It's a good addition to any collection needing to add diverse perspectives, but I think When Dimple Met Rishi was a little better written.

message 20: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Jumping in :)

Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 22%(view spoiler)

message 22: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 1443 comments 19% (view spoiler)

message 23: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 47% (view spoiler)

message 24: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 1443 comments Shae wrote: "47% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Erin wrote: "Shae wrote: "47% [spoilers removed]"

I don't her parents is..."

Totally agree! I couldn’t even imagine living that way

message 26: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Chapter 23 (view spoiler)

message 29: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 1443 comments Shae wrote: "Chapter 23 [spoilers removed]"

Yessss. This really got me. Like really??? Look at all that wasted energy and negativity.

message 30: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 1443 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 31: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Erin wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

100% agree! What a great ending

Cinthia | 5703 comments 29% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 51.0% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 67.0% "(view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 78.0% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 90.0% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments Finished... (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments Shae wrote: "Chapter 20 [spoilers removed]"

Man when they say "disownment" they mean business... even willing to go into that Fabric store to avoid her.

Cinthia | 5703 comments Shae wrote: "Chapter 21 [spoilers removed]"

Lol... she is such a germaphobe!

Cinthia | 5703 comments Shae wrote: "Chapter 23 [spoilers removed]"

I thought that was very disrespectful... I loved the vitamins part...

Cinthia | 5703 comments Erin wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

I was truly happy for her mother, even though it will take a while, her mom is moving towards the right directions. I also understand why her father is so rigid, and even she said she understood.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83071 comments Mod
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

Date Changed. Restarting June 20th 2018. Happy Reading ☺

♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Reading this :)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter 1. (view spoiler)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter 5. (view spoiler)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter 12. (view spoiler)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter 14. (view spoiler)

message 48: by Fuzaila (last edited Jun 24, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Done. (view spoiler)