What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fiction with evil Gaelic Faeries

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sammi_reads (new)

sammi_reads (samtheseahippie) | 17 comments I recently read "The Call" by Peadar O'Guilin. It was fantastic. It was for YA, but I don't need a YA. I liked the monstrous beings as Celtic fae from another world. Very evil, not cute or beautiful fairies.
I'm not so interested in books about fairy politics or huge epic fae human romances. I'm more interested in them as the villians, causing humans distress. Anything along these very vague lines would be appreciated!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
If you want some really wonderful humour with evil faeries, try Lords and Ladies. Sir Terry does wonderful work, and his Discworld is a strange and wonderful place where you'll find any number creatures showing up.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana North | 11 comments Karen Marie Moning's Fever series is spectacular.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments The Wee Free Men, also by Terry Pratchett The Wee Free Men

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist

message 7: by sammi_reads (new)

sammi_reads (samtheseahippie) | 17 comments thanks for the suggestions!

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments Maybe The Moorchild.

message 10: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1229 comments They aren't strictly speaking, Gaelic faeries (but there's some kinship, and the whole thing riffs on Lovecraft as well) but you might like The Twisted Ones
It definitely fits the 'otherworldly beings causing distress to humans' parts of what you're looking for. And is a very fun read about some pretty creepy stuff.

If m/m romance and a story about gay characters is ok (there's some sex content but pretty easy to skip over, it's not a huge part of it) I thought the fae in The Druid Stone were really interesting, they definitely fit the traditional folklore but the way they are depicted was pretty nifty.

Some of the Dresden Files have Unseelie Fae that might appeal to you (it's a fun series too) starts with Storm Front but I think they don't really show up til around book 4.