Aussie Readers discussion

Mick Herron
This topic is about Mick Herron
Individual Book Discussions > Slough House/Jackson Lamb series

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments There are a few of us reading and enjoying this series at the moment, so I thought I'd open a new topic for it.

Browsing through some reviews I found a link to this 2016 article where Mick Herron discusses the genesis of the Jackson Lamb character.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

I'd love to see this series developed into a TV series, along the lines of Wire in the Blood, Vera, the Jimmy Perez series, and so on. Who do you think would make a good Jackson Lamb? Timothy Spall is certainly in the right ballpark, but maybe a bit too closely associated with some of his previous roles?

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 60344 comments Mod
I've only read the first in the series so far Andrea - must get to book 2!!

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I need to get onto book one. The premise seems cool.

message 4: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments I reckon Dylan Moran (Black Books) but he would have to be made up to look older, and also padded to be fatter. But he could do the attitude to perfection.
My friend suggested Dalziel (Warren Clarke) from Dalziel and Pascoe

message 5: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Phrynne | 7532 comments Mod
Oh yes I like Timothy Spall and he looks spot on!

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments I’m going to pick Delaney Williams as Jackson Lamb. I need to get back into this series before I forget what the first book was about.

message 7: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 62 comments I better start reading them all too.

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments Ace wrote: "I better start reading them all too."

I really loved Slow Horses Ace. I’m really looking forward to the next one.

message 9: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 62 comments Veronica ⭐️ wrote: "Ace wrote: "I better start reading them all too."

I really loved Slow Horses Ace. I’m really looking forward to the next one."

Great, thank you Veronica, I have that scheduled in for April, I just wish I could read all the books faster. Like Brenda haha :)

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! And I wish I could read faster Ace!!

message 11: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments Ace wrote: "I just wish I could read all the books faster. Like Brenda haha :) "

Haha, don’t we all :))

message 12: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 290 comments Oh you lot......I’ve resisted this series so far but all this talk makes me wonder what I’m missing out on, so I’ve now downloaded the first one from Netgalley (first 4 are still read now on there)

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments I've just been looking up a few of these actors and discovered that Timothy Spall is not looking too good because he's in remission from leukaemia, and Warren Clarke has actually passed away *gasp*. Dylan Moran might be a bit too young for the time being, but at least he is in good health! Thinking of Dylan Moran led me to Simon Pegg (not a contender), but then he led me to Nick Frost (longtime collaborator). Yes! Rough him up a bit (more) and leave him to ferment for a bit and he could certainly be my Jackson Lamb!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Ni...

message 14: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments I kept reading bits out to my Pommy husband, and then I decided to borrow Slow Horses from the library and put it in front of him. That was Monday: he's up to page 105.

He doesn't read many books so I'm pleased he hasn't rejected it.

message 15: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Marianne wrote: "I kept reading bits out to my Pommy husband, and then I decided to borrow Slow Horses from the library and put it in front of him. That was Monday: he's up to page 105.

He doesn't ..."

He's reading a bit every day, is up to page 235 now!

message 16: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Sooo, my DH finished Slow Horses today. His verdict: after a bit of a slow start, it was really hard to put down. He gave it 4★s.
I said, shall I put the next book on reserve at the library?
That's a big YES!

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments Marianne wrote: "Sooo, my DH finished Slow Horses today. His verdict: after a bit of a slow start, it was really hard to put down. He gave it 4★s.
I said, shall I put the next book on reserve at the ..."

Another convert! Well done.

message 18: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 290 comments Unfortunately I’m a non convert, just decided to give it up at 25% then. Just didnt grab me enough to keep going......when I start to skim books, especially early, I know they are just not for me.

Oh well, I can look at the bright side and think of all the books I dont have to read LOL!

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimborams) | 68 comments I've read the first two in this series and thoroughly enjoyed both of them - rated both of them 9/10.
Interestingly the author has also done a series called The Oxford Investigations - I've read the first of these and it is very good as well.

message 20: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

I have Spook Street ready to read next. I am loving all of them!

message 21: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments I would like to read The Oxford Investigations, but my library doesn't have the first two, and I'm not sure if my OCD will let me start on book #3.
Although.... I did start on book #4 with the Slough House series and found it so good I went back for the first 3 & a half. I guess I could buy them if I'm really desperate. Or Suggest For Purchase, there's an idea!

message 22: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Phrynne wrote: "I have Spook Street ready to read next. I am loving all of them!"

Enjoy, Phrynne, you know what you're in for now.

message 23: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments I have sent the library a Suggest For Purchase email :)

message 24: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

I checked and my library has the first one, Down Cemetery Road so I reserved it:)

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan The first book is currently 75% off on Kindle: https://www.amazon.com.au/Slow-Horses...

message 26: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 43 comments I absolutely LOVE this series!
I only discovered the author and the series earlier this year and I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.
My favourite is Spook Street (book #4) but I would happily recommend any of them.
Now I've read them all, it's a long wait until the next book lands.

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good to hear Em :) Nice when you find a series like that isn't it..

message 28: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments I still have this series to read and I’m loving all the positive comments.

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1122 comments I started the first one today.

message 30: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Such a good series Diana. Enjoy:)

message 31: by Tony (last edited Oct 02, 2018 08:04AM) (new)

Tony Berry A wonderful series ... comic, cynical, snappy dialogue, superb mix of oddball characters and great crime stories with a strong thread of veracity running through them. Tops.
London Rules is the latest. Keeps on getting better. Recommended.

message 32: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1122 comments I know I'm late to the party but seriously Slow Horses is the best book I've read this year. I'm about half way through and after I run a few errands I'll be settling in to finish it. I contacted my BIL in Sydney about it and he's read the whole series so going to pass on my copy to my sister then her son in law.

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments Diana wrote: "I know I'm late to the party but seriously Slow Horses is the best book I've read this year. I'm about half way through and after I run a few errands I'll be settling in to finish it..."

So happy to hear that Diana! Welcome to the (fan) club.

message 34: by Marianne (last edited Feb 01, 2019 10:25PM) (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Slough House fans might like to know that Mick Herron's 2008 book, Reconstruction features Bad Sam Chapman when he was Top Dog

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments Marianne wrote: "Slough House fans might like to know that Mick Herron's 2008 book, Reconstruction featured Bad Sam Chapman when he was Top Dog"

But technically a standalone?

message 36: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Andrea wrote: "Marianne wrote: "Slough House fans might like to know that Mick Herron's 2008 book, Reconstruction featured Bad Sam Chapman when he was Top Dog"

But technically a s..."

Yes, Andrea. Written a few years before Slow Horses

message 37: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Andrea, mentions of several Jackson Lamb series characters, it could almost be a prequel....

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments Marianne wrote: "Andrea, mentions of several Jackson Lamb series characters, it could almost be a prequel...."

Excellent - I’ll have to look out for it.

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments I'm a bit slow off the mark, but I thought I'd mention that Joe Country (Slough house #6) is still available for request on NetGalley for the moment.

message 40: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

I tried that but was refused Andrea:) I will read it once it is published:)

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 996 comments Phrynne wrote: "I tried that but was refused Andrea:) I will read it once it is published:)"

Me too, as it turns out. Oh well, worth a try!

message 42: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Lol! Yes it's always worth a try. You win some. you lose some:)

message 43: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5901 comments Me three. It's on reserve at the library...

message 44: by Joss (new)

Joss (JossDi) | 61 comments I need to get back into reading fiction. This might be a good series to start with

message 45: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5664 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm a bit slow off the mark, but I thought I'd mention that Joe Country (Slough house #6) is still available for request on NetGalley for the moment."

My request is still pending. But as you say there is always the library!

message 46: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1122 comments I've requested the second book from the library.