Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bookburners: The Complete Season 2 (Bookburners, #2.1-2.13)
This topic is about Bookburners
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Gladstone - Bookburners (Season 2 starting July 20th)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 261 (261 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jul 19, 2018 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments This is to be a slower paced Buddy Read.

Season 1 ran from April 6th thru July 13th, mostly running 1 episode per week...

It went so well, we've decided to continue with slightly shorter 2ND SEASON, on an accelerated schedule, from July 20th to

Season 1 Schedule: (view spoiler)

Season 2 Schedule (cliffhangers permitting):

07/20 Episode 1: Creepy Town
07/27 Episode 2: Webs
08/03 Episode 3: Mistakes Were Made
08/10 Episode 4; Ghosts
08/17 Episode 5; Debtor’s Prison
08/24 Episode 6; Incognita
08/31 Episode 7: Fire and Ice
09/07 Episodes 8 & 9: Present Infinity + The Village
09/14 Episodes 10 & 11: One With The World + Shock and Awe
09/21 Episodes 12 & 13: Coming Home + The End of the Day

If this continues to go well, there's a 3rd & 4th season (currently running on Serial Box)...

Bookburners The Complete Season 1 (Bookburners #1.1-1.16) by Max Gladstone Bookburners The Complete Season 2 (Bookburners, #2.1-2.13) by Max Gladstone Bookburners The Complete Season 3 (Bookburners, #3.1-3.13) by Max Gladstone Bookburners The Complete Season 4 by Max Gladstone

Series synopsis:

Magic is real, and hungry. It’s trapped in ancient texts and artifacts, and only a few who discover it survive to fight back. Detective Sal Brooks is a survivor. She joins a Vatican-backed black-ops anti-magic squad—Team Three of the Societas Librorum Occultorum—and together they stand between humanity and the magical apocalypse. Some call them the Bookburners. They don’t like the label.

message 2: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Yeah! In :D

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments If I can manage it, I might join this as a reread. I have quite a few New Releases coming out in April that I'd like to get to.

message 4: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) I am in for this, but I have a question - how will the pagecount for this be added to the Team Challenge? I mean will it be per episode? Or the whole volume in August?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments In if I can find this.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 701 comments Got this book for my birthday a while ago, I'll have to try and find it again!

message 7: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 28, 2018 10:06PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Arkadeb wrote: "I am in for this, but I have a question - how will the pagecount for this be added to the Team Challenge? I mean will it be per episode? Or the whole volume in August?"

I'm planning on using the episodes so I can add it over time... You lose 72 pages that way, but I guess you could go back and swap it for the season book in August... if you don't have a challenge to use the season for, going episode by episode gives you 15 Incomplete Series challenge credits (episode 2-16)...

message 8: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 30 comments I hope it's okay that I join in. There's a few buddy reads next month I would like to join in on. This'll be my first ones in this group.
😀

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 29, 2018 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments This is a "The More The Merrier" group... anybody is welcome to any Buddy Read that catches their fancy... just try to indicate what part of the book you are reading/referencing when you start posting (view spoiler) so we know what is safe to open when... with something like

I'm on chapter 10 (view spoiler)

In this case, it's probably more like Episode 1, Chapter 2...

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I've been thinking, and I'll probably break this up into 4 threads tomorrow... 1 for every 4 episode grouping...

message 11: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 30 comments Iain wrote: "This is a "The More The Merrier" group... anybody is welcome to any Buddy Read that catches their fancy... just try to indicate what part of the book you are reading/referencing when you start post..."

Ok cool it's the same as a few other groups I'm in. Cool thanks much Iain.
I appreciate it.

message 12: by Virginie (last edited Mar 30, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Arkadeb wrote: "I am in for this, but I have a question - how will the pagecount for this be added to the Team Challenge? I mean will it be per episode? Or the whole volume in August?"

After pondering on this for a long time (yeah, really, I'm obsessive when it comes to organizing things), I'm going to use the episodes as well.

You can also use:
Bookburners: Season One Volume One
Bookburners: Season One Volume Two

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments there's quite a lot of variance here... the single volume season is over 800pgs... the 16 episodes are around 720pgs... and those 2 half-seasons are only 570 pages...

message 14: by Virginie (last edited Mar 30, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Oh wow, I didn't pay attention to the page count...
Since the most popular edition for the entire season 1 book is 800 pages long exactly, I guess we could log the episodes individually with 50 pages each.
(I don't really care about the 72 pages, I'm just too lazy to check the page count of each episode haha)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments That's probably the easiest solution... then I can just link the big book 16 times in my spreadsheet... and not have to go back and change anything at the end...

message 16: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Iain wrote: "That's probably the easiest solution... then I can just link the big book 16 times in my spreadsheet... and not have to go back and change anything at the end..."

Or, if you don't want to clutter your spreadsheet, you could just log the entire season 1 with 50 pages to start and manually increases the page count as you read the episodes...

(I'm giving this waaaay to much thoughts lol)

message 17: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) I think I am just going to go with the one book for the sake of simplicity

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Virginie wrote: "Iain wrote: "That's probably the easiest solution... then I can just link the big book 16 times in my spreadsheet... and not have to go back and change anything at the end..."

Or, if you don't wan..."

That's what I was planning on doing. I don't want to clutter the spreadsheet.

message 19: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm in as well :) I ordered a used copy from the US (new editions are pretty pricey...), so I will be late because of shipping...

message 20: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Anni wrote: "I'm in as well :) I ordered a used copy from the US (new editions are pretty pricey...), so I will be late because of shipping..."

Nice! We're reading quite slowly (50 pages per week) so you'll catch up without problems I think :)

message 21: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments That's what I thought too :) I was thinking about joining from the start but coundn't decide if I really should. But today I thought it's now or never, waiting any longer would make me even more late so I put all concernes aside and feel pretty rebelious right now 😂

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments It looks like the Amazon Kindle sample is the first four chapters of episode 1... so you can get a bit of a headstart if you wanted, once the book is close to arrival...

message 23: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments That's a good idea Iain! Never thought of the kindle sample :)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I never did make more threads... I'll just wait until we're approaching episode 5 to make another thread...

Speaking of Bookburners, I'll be reading the first episode tonight at work, probably, once I read Temeraire... so I'll be here tomorrow to post my thoughts...

message 25: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Iain wrote: "I never did make more threads... I'll just wait until we're approaching episode 5 to make another thread...

Speaking of Bookburners, I'll be reading the first episode tonight at work, probably, on..."

Yay! I'm starting tonight as well :)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Most of the way through episode one already... they're not much longer than TV show episodes on audio :)

Classic pilot: Detective Sal aka Gwen Cooper aka etc etc etc, comes into contact with a clandestine supernatural policing entity and gets recruited / forces her way in...

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 701 comments Just finished episode 1, seems like a fun read so far. Already enjoying Sal's character!

message 28: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I'm in~

Also would anyone be interested in a BR for Shadow Unit 1? It's got a similar structure.

message 29: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) Starting today

message 30: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 08, 2018 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Me too, on the Sal part... don't think I saw enough of the other characters yet to get much of a feel for them...

@Jessica Sha: those Shadow Unit books sound interesting, but I don't have much time for more non-audio books at the moment... maybe someone else does, tho...

message 31: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) Just finished Episode 1. Really liked it. Nice and intense.

I think I am going to enjoy these books.

Anybody here watch Agents of Shield? Does Grace remind anyone of Agent May?
So the primary threat seems to be (view spoiler)

@Sha I like the sound of Shadow Unit. If you turn it into a Buddy Read count me in.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Just finished Episode 1. Really liked it. Nice and intense.

I think I am going to enjoy these books.

Anybody here watch Agents of Shield? Does Grace remind anyone of Agent May?
So the primary t..."

The blurb reminded me of Warehouse 13 with it's artifacts... I haven't watched Agents of Shield since season 1, so I don't remember much...

message 33: by Virginie (last edited Apr 08, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Read episode 1 and forgot to post about it :p

Quite a good start, I'm really intrigued. It really feels like a TV-show, it takes roughly the same time to read an episode :)
I'm going to enjoy those I think :D

message 34: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Arkadeb wrote: "@Sha I like the sound of Shadow Unit. If you turn it into a Buddy Read count me in. "

:D Given the number of buddy reads I've been forced to drop out of, I've made a vow to not start any myself. I'll be happy to join in if anyone wants to read it though. :3

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Read the first part a couple days ago.

Eh, it's decent. I like the idea of reading a fast paced, 30 minute read once a week. Although once the novelty wears off I'll probably stop reading. Makes me curious to see what's out that's like this that's a LOT better.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments btw, I have a VERY importnat question to ask.

Why wasn't this in the mods please add this topic. I basically found out about this topic by accident.

message 37: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 09, 2018 04:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "btw, I have a VERY importnat question to ask.

Why wasn't this in the mods please add this topic. I basically found out about this topic by accident."

But it IS on the list:

04/06 Bookburners: The Complete Season 1 Max Gladstone
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It's easy to miss, I guess, skimming through 30+ books, since the schedule has gotten so long...

message 38: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Read the first episode. Reasonably interesting but I haven't gotten a handle on non-Sal characters yet. Looking forward to more.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Iain wrote: "MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "btw, I have a VERY importnat question to ask.

Why wasn't this in the mods please add this topic. I basically found out about this topic by a..."

Well yeah, it's on the list, but not on the mods please add this topic.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I read episode 2, and am struck again by the TV show nature of it all... I could practically see it in my head...

I wonder how many "monster-of-the-week" episodes there will be before some sort of connective tissue starts to arise that pieces it all together (assuming that's the plan)...

message 41: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Read Episode 2: (view spoiler)

It really feels like a TV-show. Reminds me a lot of Supernatural with the whole 'monster-of-the-week' thingy.

I agree with you Iain, I'm expecting some kind of big menace to slowly arise after some episodes.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Virginie wrote: "Read Episode 2: ..."

Don't worry Virginie... we're not THAT bad... we socialize on Goodreads :D

message 43: by Virginie (last edited Apr 14, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Iain wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Read Episode 2: ..."

Don't worry Virginie... we're not THAT bad... we socialize on Goodreads :D"

Yeah but... Doesn't that make us particularly vulnerable to evil magical books? :D

EDIT: On second thought, I wouldn't read it: it's probably not on Goodreads so it wouldn't count for the competition.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Virginie wrote: "Iain wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Read Episode 2: ..."

Don't worry Virginie... we're not THAT bad... we socialize on Goodreads :D"

Yeah but... Doesn't that make us particularly vulnerable to evil mag..."

You don't think magical books could infiltrate Goodreads and place itself their retroactively?... Like it was here all along...

message 45: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Iain wrote: "You don't think magical books could infiltrate Goodreads and place itself their retroactively?... Like it was here all along... "

You're right... WE'RE SCREWED!

message 46: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) Read Episode 2

I kind of forgot we had an internal schedule for the episodes and I kind of read Episode 3 as well.

Anyway, about episode 2 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments And who's to say, the brother won't (view spoiler)

message 48: by Sha (last edited Apr 15, 2018 05:52PM) (new)

Sha | 1522 comments well, her brother (view spoiler)

E2 finished. I liked this one, but like before I'm not getting much about the characters. Continues to feel like episodes.

message 49: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments My copy arrived today! Yey! :) Perfect timing for Episode 3, sadly I won't have much time this weekend, but I hope to catch up soon!

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments More people!!! :D... I'll probably read this at work tonight...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6