Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > LA Times Book Festival

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments Last year I went to to Los Angeles Book Festival for the first time and had a blast. This year I am looking forward to going again and this time with my Mom and maybe Aunt.
Last year I got to meet& get signatures from Chuck Palahniuk, Julia Quinn, and Joyce Carol Oates. I attended the Saturday and this year it looks like we’ll be going on a Sunday. The of authors, celebrities, news reporters, etc is long and always difficult to decide which to see and the time of the talks/ conferences.

My mom wants to see Michael Isikoff and David Corn. I’m interested in seeing Wil Wheaton, Mayim Bialik, and Patton Oswalt. There’s some authors I’d like to see to but I have to be picky as there is only one of me and I can’t be at two places.

Is anyone going or have been?

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments Oh and it’s in April (21-22) and thank goodness the reservation tickets ($2) aren’t available until the 15th. Gives me more time to decide who we’ll be seeing.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4969 comments I've been a few times, though not every year. Not sure yet if I will do it this year, but if that weekend is free, likely. Haven't yet checked the author list. I've met and gotten my books autographed by Steve Lopez, Micheal Connelly, Titus Welliver (not an author but he and Connelly were of course promoting Bosch), J.A. Jance, Cynthia Kadohata and I can't remember anymore. My family always enjoys it!

message 4: by annapi (last edited Mar 22, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

annapi | 4969 comments Just popped over to the website and so many authors I want to see are going to be there - Diana Gabaldon, Laurie Halse Anderson, Kate diCamillo, Cynthia Kadohata, John Scalzi (in conversation with Wil Wheaton!), Leslie Odom Jr., Lisa See, Sabaa Tahir. I will have to check the schedule to see how many I can fit in! And the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas students are supposed to be there as well.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4969 comments And after all that, such a bummer - my daughter has choir rehearsals she can't miss both Sat and Sun, so I probably won't be able to go **sigh**.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4969 comments Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) wrote: "I’m interested in seeing Wil Wheaton, Mayim Bialik, and Patton Oswalt...."

Have you tried any of John Scalzi's books? He's a good sci-fi writer and his books are fun. He's going to be in conversation with Wil Wheaton.

message 7: by Jgrace (last edited Mar 22, 2018 08:08PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments I went several times in the early years when it was at UCLA. I loved it then. Last year was the first time I'd been since it moved to USC. I have to say it wasn't a successful day for me, although I did get to hear George Saunders. He was terrific.

I was familiar with UCLA and could always find my way around there. When I couldn't,the volunteers were helpful and enthusiastic. Neither of those things were true last year at USC.

I'm thinking about giving it another try this year. I would probably get more out of it now that I know the lay of the land (so to speak) There are a few authors on the list that I would like to see. It will probably depend on when my oldest grandnephew has his birthday party. He's been in competition with the book festival for almost 8 years now.