Burial Rites Burial Rites discussion

Mercy Killing

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sonia I just finished reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, it's one of those finishes that leaves you wanting more. More of the people, more of their feelings, more. Does anyone else feel the same?

Lisa Yes! Burial Rites is one of my favourite books! I found the setting in Iceland fascinating and the story very gripping. I've read her latest book The Good People but it wasn't as good for me.

Sonia Hi Lisa, I read The Good People too. Felt the same way. My recommend for you would be His Bloody Project by Graeme MacRae Burnet. Beautiful writing set in similar impoverished setting. Let me know what you think if you do read it.

Lisa Oh thanks so much Sonia. I really need a good book to read!

Alma (retirement on the very near horizon) Sorry but I think I must be missing something here. Whether it was knowing the end result or just finding the whole narrative slow I just found it hard to engage with the characters, but we can't all like the same things I suppose. I did finish it but i found it really hard going and the Icelandic names didn't help so it was only a 2 out of 5 for me.

Lisa Hi Alma. Its funny how we can all be so different in our likes and dislikes isn't it! What would be a book that you have loved and would recommend?

Kendra I loved this book! Had no idea that is was all based on truth. The setting and characters kept me interested. It was slow, but it was a good, intentional slow. I kept reading because I had to know what really happened. I think the setting pulled me in the most. The harsh simplicity of daily life- and in the end the work brought Agnes a little pride in the final days of her life. This book was an easy 4 stars for me, almost 5. It need more characters and dialogue or drama- I guess the make believe fiction plot stuff. However, had that been embellished too much it would have been less literature and more fun. I loved that it felt like modern literature.

Alma (retirement on the very near horizon) Kendra wrote: "I loved this book! Had no idea that is was all based on truth. The setting and characters kept me interested. It was slow, but it was a good, intentional slow. I kept reading because I had to know ..."
Yes it's good we're all different or it would be a boring old world all reading the same books.

Alma (retirement on the very near horizon) Yes it's good we're all different or it would be a boring old world all reading the same books.

Diana Alma wrote: "Sorry but I think I must be missing something here. Whether it was knowing the end result or just finding the whole narrative slow I just found it hard to engage with the characters, but we can't a..."

I agree with you, Alma. The narrative was very slow, and I also found it difficult to engage with the characters. Also, for me personally, the character of Agnes was unsympathetic.

message 11: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela I found Agnes to be very sympathetic. Natan was malicious and horrible to her. I don't blame her for snapping when she puts him out of his misery. Sure, she made bad decisions along the way, but she was trapped in that situation.