The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Favorite Presses > Little Island Press

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ang (new)

Ang | 1685 comments Little Island Press is a new discovery for me due to the RofC prize.

https://www.littleislandpress.co.uk/

In terms of the physical book, they are hard to beat, and indeed, their strap line is "Contemporary Fine Editions".

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3110 comments Mod
So far the only one I have is Darker with the Lights on - I agree that that one is very nice.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments My copy of Darker with the Lights On was a rather cheap paperback with a garish orange cover.

I did get it for free though :-)

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil | 1859 comments Mine, too. And the author was kind enough to sign mine even though I hadn’t paid anything for it!

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments Their full mission statement

Little Island Press is an independent publisher of fiction, poetry and essays. Founded in 2016, it publishes innovative, intellectually ambitious writing in elegant editions.

They also are starting to publish a literary journal Egress. The first edition in 2018 is out soon and will include a brand new story by the 2018 Republic of Consciousness award winning author Eley Williams.

https://www.littleislandpress.co.uk/b...

message 6: by Ang (last edited Mar 22, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Ang | 1685 comments Having seen the quality of the books, I ordered the only novel they'be published so far, The Way of Florida. It has arrived and I look forward to reading it. I will report back!

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5256 comments Paul wrote: "My copy of Darker with the Lights On was a rather cheap paperback with a garish orange cover.

I did get it for free though :-)"

Mine three.

I did then buy a copy of the bound book - which was very nice although the covers were upside down.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments Orange covers, upside down covers - and worst of all hardbacks - how did they win a design award?

message 9: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3110 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Orange covers, upside down covers - and worst of all hardbacks - how did they win a design award?" And no cover pictures either, but that seems to be quite common in the small press world...

message 10: by Neil (new)

Neil | 1859 comments Well, it does look smart without a picture. And I imagine it is significantly cheaper than a multi-coloured image which is a key consideration for the small presses.

message 11: by Ang (new)

Ang | 1685 comments No picture on the cover is a bonus.

They are basically an affordable Folio Society in terms of quality.

message 12: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1842 comments Mod
I was fortunate enough to get the hardback of Darker with the Lights On as well, and just have to agree with all the praise. It's a pleasant book to tote around !

message 13: by WndyJW (last edited Mar 22, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

WndyJW | 4624 comments Darker with the Lights on Stories by David Hayden Darker With the Lights On by David Hayden are there covers other than these?

I like the black cover, but I’m pretty sure the copy I will get has brown and beige diamonds. I’d prefer the black cover, like the limited edition Galley Beggar books.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments There are four

- the plain dark Little Island hardback

- the Little Island paperback which does have cover art
https://www.littleislandpress.co.uk/b...

- the Transit press one with the diamonds

- the special limited edition exclusive to judges of the RoC Prize (and other ARC recipients) orange cover

or 5 if you count Gumble's upside down one

message 15: by Ang (new)

Ang | 1685 comments They do hardcore binding. :)

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5256 comments Now I would more day this is gorgeous rather than hardcore.

message 17: by WndyJW (last edited Mar 23, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

WndyJW | 4624 comments It’s unfortunate that small publishers can’t afford to use hardcovers for all of their books. I believe Preti Taneja, Ben Myers, Eley William and other writers will still be read 100 years from now, but I wonder if the paper bound books will survive over 100 years? I’m sure I’m not the only one who has treasured old leather books from great-great grandparents.
Maybe the publishers can operate in reverse and if a book or writer does very well then issue hardcover copies for the bibliophiles among their audience.

message 18: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1842 comments Mod
It’s doubly unfortunate as there are still some review sheets out there who review only hardcover books. I think they are rarer now, as their importance dwindles and as tides turn, but they are still there, so paperback originals aren’t even read by them.

message 19: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 4624 comments Trevor wrote: "It’s doubly unfortunate as there are still some review sheets out there who review only hardcover books. I think they are rarer now, as their importance dwindles and as tides turn, but they are sti..."

That is very unfortunate and it’s more incentive to champion the small publishers whenever possible.

message 20: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 2629 comments Glad to have found this thread. I'd seen Little Island listed in the Warwick Prize for Translation, and had assumed it was this Irish children's publisher, which was the first search result which appeared.

Some really interesting looking stuff here.
The clothbound hardbacks are so retro they give me deja vu.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments Little Island had rather vanished from operation a year ago.

Good news today though that Carcanet Press have taken on the imprint including their backlist: https://twitter.com/Carcanet/status/1...

message 22: by Mike E. (new)

Mike E. Mancini | 1 comments Awesome news, Paul. Thanks for that.

message 23: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 2629 comments Interesting they only just announced that officially. Several months ago when doing the MBI lists I found Little Island's own website inactive, and their books on the Carcanet site.

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments Yes agreed on timing as eg the new Josipovoci this year was put out under the Little Island brand from Carcanet.

Both Bookmunch and the Bookseller have stories on it, which might explain what has happened this week specifically, but both are paywalled.