All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Book Prizes

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you follow book prizes? Discuss any recent long lists, short lists and winners here

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments This year I'm trying to get through a few of the books on the Man Booker International Prize.

http://themanbookerprize.com/resource...

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments Books on that longlist are:

Laurent Binet (France), Sam Taylor, The 7th Function of Language (Harvill Secker)

• Javier Cercas (Spain), Frank Wynne, The Impostor (MacLehose Press)

• Virginie Despentes (France), Frank Wynne, Vernon Subutex 1 (MacLehose Press)

• Jenny Erpenbeck (Germany), Susan Bernofsky, Go, Went, Gone (Portobello Books)

• Han Kang (South Korea), Deborah Smith, The White Book (Portobello Books)

• Ariana Harwicz (Argentina), Sarah Moses & Carolina Orloff, Die, My Love (Charco Press)

• László Krasznahorkai (Hungary), John Batki, Ottilie Mulzet & George Szirtes, The World Goes On (Tuskar Rock Press)

• Antonio Muñoz Molina (Spain), Camilo A. Ramirez, Like a Fading Shadow (Tuskar Rock Press)

• Christoph Ransmayr (Austria), Simon Pare, The Flying Mountain (Seagull Books)

• Ahmed Saadawi (Iraq), Jonathan Wright, Frankenstein in Baghdad (Oneworld)

• Olga Tokarczuk (Poland), Jennifer Croft, Flights (Fitzcarraldo Editions)

• Wu Ming-Yi (Taiwan, China), Darryl Sterk, The Stolen Bicycle (Text Publishing)

• Gabriela Ybarra (Spain), Natasha Wimmer, The Dinner Guest (Harvill Secker)

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments So far I've read Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck and really enjoyed! Also started The Stolen Bicycle

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Another good prize! I finder it much harder to seek out translated fiction so I will have to check out a few of those. I might wait for the shortlist though...

I really want to read more Han Kang so hopefully I’ll get to that soon

message 8: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments The short list for Canada Reads has also been announced, the panel discussions will take place next week. The finalists are:
The Boat People
American War
Precious Cargo: My Year of Driving the Kids on School Bus 3077
Forgiveness
The Marrow Thieves

I haven’t read any of them, but am very interested

message 9: by Alannah (last edited Mar 24, 2018 05:51AM) (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11966 comments Mod
I haven't paid much attention to book awards but I certainly would like that to change. The only one I follow and vote is the Goodreads choice awards, but mostly I like to see if any of the books I have read have made it into the lists.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Alannah wrote: "I haven't paid much attention to book awards but I certainly would like that to change. The only one I follow and vote is the Goodreads choice awards, but mostly I like to see if any of the books I..."

I have to say I find the goodreads awards don't really cater for my tastes as I think they can be quite YA focused and that isn't a genre I have read much of.

I do like looking at book prizes but it doesn't exclusively guide my reading

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments The 2 awards I follow are the Hugo and the Nebula, both sci-fi awards.

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1314 comments I buy award books then forget to read them :0(

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pam wrote: "The 2 awards I follow are the Hugo and the Nebula, both sci-fi awards."

I don't pay much attention to book awards as they happen but I have been slowly trying to read more of the past winners of some awards, such as the Hugo & the Edgar (mystery award).

message 14: by B the BookAddict (last edited Apr 09, 2018 02:20PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I have slowly (very slowly) been trying to work my way thru Pulitzer Prize winners.

For interest sake, I compiled a list of all winners post 1948 (when it became termed 'Pulitzer Prize). link: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Bette, thanks for the list. I started going through it to see which I had not read, but what I noted was the large number of them I gave only one or two stars! So then I thought, why should I read the few I not yet read?! There were a few really good ones though, like the one by Shirley Ann Grau!

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Chrissie wrote: "Bette, thanks for the list. I started going through it to see which I had not read, but what I noted was the large number of them I gave only one or two stars! So then I thought, why should I read ..."

LOL - that is how I feel about the Man Booker prize. For me it is a sign to NOT read a book if it wins that award!

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Leslie, I have the same problem with the Man Booker too. .......

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink I have hit or miss experiences with all these prizes, but I still follow along.

message 19: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Chrissie, some of the Pulitzer Prize books I have not liked and I will admit to simply avoiding those whose subject and blurb does not appeal to me.

message 20: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie B the BookAddict wrote: "Chrissie, some of the Pulitzer Prize books I have not liked and I will admit to simply avoiding those whose subject and blurb does not appeal to me."

That is pretty much what I do too. I feel I always have to check.

message 21: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie PLEASE you guys, read something byShirley Ann Grau.