SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The President's Keepers: Those Keeping Zuma in Power and Out of Prison
This topic is about The President's Keepers
All Book Discussions > The President's Keepers (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
The discussion thread for our April - May BoM. Please avoid spoilers, or use the spoiler tag to hide them: <spoiler> <\spoiler>

message 2: by Janice (last edited Jun 08, 2018 02:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

The President's Keepers is the best-selling book in SA... ever.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/top-s...

That's quite an achievement, since it only came out last year.

What is the best selling book in South African history?
The President’s Keepers (Jacques Pauw): 197 000
The Secret (Rhonda Byrne): 190 436
Real Meal Revolution (Tim Noakes): 174 798
Fifty Shades of Grey: 166 149
Spud: 161 354 copies
The Da Vinci Code: 133 949
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: 107 131 copies.

So the best selling book ever in SA sold 197 000 copies? That's a little sad, I thought the number would be much higher.

message 3: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Wow! Yea I hear SA sales are not very good :(

Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Wow! Yea I hear SA sales are not very good :("

It's so sad. I love reading so much that I can't even comprehend people never ever buying a book in their life.

message 5: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2153 comments Mod
Somewhere I read that only 1% of South Africans regularly buys a book. It gives you a regular book-buying population of about 50,000 people across all genres. It's a tiny market.

The actual number of readers was much higher. Copies circulated around our office for weeks as some of the material was directly relevant.

Also, they released the book in PDF in the immediate aftermath when they feared it would be banned. So that resulted in more readers, but would have reduced sales.

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea that is true. I remember getting the PDF a few times!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Carolien wrote: "Also, they released the book in PDF in the immediate aftermath when they feared it would be banned"

Well, I wouldn't say they 'released' it. It was pirated, and then people thought they were doing some sort of social good by passing it along. I don't think there was any real threat of it being banned, and the author, publisher and others immediately asked people not to circulate the illegal copies.

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
If you have a Gauteng library card, you can read the book here: https://gauteng.overdrive.com/media/3...